1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Nov 20 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]352339[/snapback]</div>
    Straight driving, eh? Uhhh, no comment.

But as to the oval wheel: Yes, this is the first convenience I noticed in the Prius. During my test drive I exclaimed to the salesman, "Look! They probably ran a computer simulation and were able to figure out that an additional 14 inches of steering wheel diameter would obscure the speedo!" (chuckle)

If I had to guess (and now, I do), the oval steering wheel is for KNEE room, not instrument obfuscation. I know it would change with the height of the driver (I'm 6'3"), but I can't imagine that even Billy Barty would would have his view of the speedo (not the swimsuit) impaired by a round wheel.

Of course, I'm having fun, so don't take this as a wooden stake (or steak) to the heart.

GeronimoPFudgemuffin

PS: The preceding has been a test of National Link-Insertion Safety Network. Had there been an actual point to the inserted links, you would have been notified to hide under your desk while awaiting further instructions. That is all.

2. miwaku

miwaku New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 20 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]352311[/snapback]</div>
    Heck, so does the fact that there's a storage compartment under the rear floormat. I keep my pool cues there and people are always amazed when I open it up to get them out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Nov 20 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]352357[/snapback]</div>
    Also, once the lights are switched on, if you slide open the mirror cover, the light comes on. If you push the visor forward (as if you're blocking the sun), the light switches off again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 20 2006, 10:16 PM) [snapback]352386[/snapback]</div>
    Weird. Mine works if you press the Mode button only once.

3. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 21 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]352311[/snapback]</div>
    I assumed there wasn't one, then found it after about two months...

4. chogan

chogan New Member

Mine's not as funny as the ones posted above, but I found it interesting.

We all know that, among cars currently for sale from the major manufacturers, the most fuel-efficient way to drive 4 adults is the Prius.

But, did you know that, among cars currently for sale, the most fuel-efficient way to drive 8 adults is ... two Prii.

And, though its a little less clear-cut, I believe that the most fuel-efficient way to drive six adults is still ... two Prii.

So, if you go strictly by EPA mileage, and need to move between 6 and 8 adults, and have to drive a new car, you get better mileage driving two Prii than driving anything else.

Calculation is based on 2007 cars listed on the EPA's www.fueleconomy.gov website, supplemented by web searches to identify vehicle seating capaciy.

The EPA rates the Prius for 55 MPG. Two Prii together therefore get 27.5 MPG. I need to find any one vehicle, getting 28 MPG or better, that can transport 8 adults.

For minivans, the highest-MPG minvan available is the Dodge Caravan SE at 22 MPG.

For SUVs, the only vehicle I found that might violate this rule was the Highlander Hybrid with optional 3rd row seat. That would in theory seat 8, but no one suggests that you could or, from a safety standpoint, should, fit adults in the 3rd row seat. So, that's disqualified by the "8 adult" clause.

After that, the only SUVs getting 28 MPG or better are the Ford Escape and Saturn Vue, both of which seat 5 adults. No eight adult SUV gets 28 EPA MPG or better.

For station wagons, the only station wagons getting over 25 MPG (per the EPA) are all five-passenger vehicles without a third-row-seat option, as far as I can tell (Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Matrix, Ford Focus, Suzuki Sx4, Audi A3, VW Passat, Suburu Legacy). So, no eight-passenger station wagon exceeds 27.5 MPG.

So, I'm pretty sure this proposition holds for 8 adults.

I'm fairly sure it must therefore hold for 7 adults (can't think offhand of a vehicle designed to seat 7 adults).

It clearly does NOT hold for 5 adults. There are numerous five-passenger vehicles getting 28 MPG or better.

Does it hold for 6 adults? Is there a six-adult-passenger new car that gets 28 MPG or better?

Searching the EPA website, no 2007 "Large Sedan" qualifies, no "Luxury Sedan" qualifies, no "Upscale Sedan" qualifies. Several come close. Several "Family Sedans" qualify but all appear to be 5 passenger to me.

So, I believe this statement is true (but would love to be proven otherwise):
    Among passenger vehicles currently for sale, the most fuel-efficient way to transport 6 adults is ... two Prii.

Yes, it's a bit of a cheat to rely on the EPA mileage throughout. But I think this illustrates just how far ahead of the pack the Prius is.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 20 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]352386[/snapback]</div>
    Mine works if you just push once on the "Mode" button.

But just to add to this point:

You can turn OFF the stereo by pushing and holding the "Mode" button.

I still think the best one (i.e. most obscure) so far is the "No changing from FM1 to FM2 while in reverse."

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    found an interesting one this morning.

the triple beep you get when you get kicked out of EV mode doesn't sound when you have the heater on. :blink:

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 20 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]352358[/snapback]</div>
    It's not secret now that you've told everybody

8. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There is an inside hatch release. Can anybody guess where it is?

1 person likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The tonneau cover actually has its own storage slot under the cargo floor.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    im sure all know about the side compartment storage in the hatch area. i use it for misc fluid containers since its small and would be tough for anything to tip over.

11. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 21 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]352531[/snapback]</div>
    I know I've stated it before, but some of the newer people might not know that the owners of the red cars are universally entertaining, good looking and intelligent. It therefore follows, by everets train of logic, (one of the baltic new math philosophies), that the red cars are faster and use less gas.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Nov 21 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]352549[/snapback]</div>

interesting thought...

obtw, the spare tire is mounted in the infant hot tub

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Glove box light's (not counting aftermarket models) are impossible to replace :p

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The glove box lights are always on when the car is on....even when the door is closed....crawl inside and look!

15. mwc716

mwc716 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 21 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]352570[/snapback]</div>
    I know, that annoys the heck out of me at night! The light from the lower glovebox can be seen around the button for it. Looking for fix ideas...

16. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michael Cater @ Nov 21 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]352585[/snapback]</div>
    I can't go look at mine now, but I bet a few pieces of cleverly placed tape would both block the light and be invisible. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could add your own microswitch.

17. taaustin

taaustin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Nov 21 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]352514[/snapback]</div>

Ok - THIS one is going to drive me CRAZY. I give up. Where's the inside hatch release?!?

Terry

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(taaustin @ Nov 21 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]352613[/snapback]</div>
    Below the latch, under the removable floor.

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michael Cater @ Nov 21 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]352585[/snapback]</div>
    Try wearing really dark glasses. :rolleyes:

Tom

19. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Nov 21 2006, 08:29 AM) [snapback]352448[/snapback]</div>
    The Mazda5 comes pretty close. It seats 6 and is rated at 22/27MPG when equipped with a manual tranny.

Mazda 5 specs

That's the only one I can think of...

Great thread, folks! :)

My little contribution to the thread...

Consumption screen for "non-US" Metric Prii is actually inversed compared to MPG; the "lower" the number (L/100km) the better, so having "no bars" is good while tall bars are bad. ;)

I also find that although the voice commands work for Nav and radio controls, it is not possible to set the climate control on metric-based Prius models (?). "xx Degrees", "warmer", "cooler", etc... do not seem to work...?

BTW, voice commands such as "audio", "AM", "FM", etc... control the radio, but is there a way to switch to Aux-in (for my satellite radio) using voice? Haven't found a way...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 21 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]352617[/snapback]</div>
    Oh... on the topic of manual hatch release, here is another;
    • The 12V battery is in the trunk, under the right-hand corner floor.
    • The rear hatch has no key, power release only.
    • If your 12V battery should die while your car is locked (such as forgotten dome light?), you will need to use the mechanical key to open the driver door, reach in to unlock the rear driver-side door, fold the seat and climb into the hatch to remove the floor to access the manual release to open the hatch so someone can boost your battery! ;)
    Perhaps Toyota should have included a keylock on the rear hatch since the 12V battery is there! :huh:

BTW, I am not speaking from experience, just piecing together information I have read in various threads. ;)

20. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Just thought of another...

For 2006 models with Aux-in, the auxiliary has a separate volume level from the rest of the audio system.

For example, if I listen to FM and set the volume to 10, then switch to Aux and set the volume to 20, when I switch back to FM it will still be on 10. Likewise, switching back to Aux will still be at 20.

AFAIK, this is divided between Aux-in and "all other audio modes", but I could be wrong. A nice little touch, since my XM receiver output to Aux-in (even at Max output) is less than AM/FM audio levels. B)