1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. jonbeck

jonbeck New Member

There's a typo on the GPS Screen. It reads something like "Touch the right side of the screen to change it's behavior."

2. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 19 2007, 12:14 AM) [snapback]408271[/snapback]</div>
    Why so anal about this? It isn't an airplane that is going to crash into the ground if you don't know every time bit about the car. MOST things on cars are obvious (or should be) and don't need to be read about in the manual.

Why is it called a "man"ual when more women read it then men.

Me? I'm too busy driving. I only take the manual out when I can't figure something out.

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

It seems to me that if you get a shiny new $25000 toy, you'd want to know about it. Especially when it's something as technologically advanced as this.

By the way, plainly these things AREN'T obvious to most people.

Why the resistance to cracking the book?

inframan and Data Daedalus like this.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 16 2007, 12:39 AM) [snapback]479484[/snapback]</div>
    In the U.S., people wear their ignorance as a badge of pride.

inframan likes this.
  6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Jul 15 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]479415[/snapback]</div>

Wo"man"

7. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 16 2007, 01:59 AM) [snapback]479493[/snapback]</div>
    And then come to forums like this to show off.

Man, oh man.

"Door lock buttons? I didn't know the Prius had door lock buttons!"

8. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 15 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]479484[/snapback]</div>
    Resistance? Not really. It's called, "I've got lots of other things on my mind. And when I go to get into the car I'm there because I'm heading somewhere. And usually when I get home I'm tired from a long day at work. Reading yet another tech manual (I'm a computer geek) isn't my idea of fun.

Besides, the saleswoman who sold the car to us did a fantastic job of taking us bumper to bumper telling us all about the car for anything that I would normally use.

No she didn't point out the jumper posts under the hood that you use instead of connecting jumper cables to the 12v battery. But then how many people need to know this? Why bother telling people things they may never know. Why go looking for something I might never use?

The reason they give you a manual instead of just having you watch a video once when you are buying the car, is because even if we wanted to, even if I read the manual five times, things I'm very unlikely to use will be forgotten quickly. It's there so you can reference it when you need to know something.

And how many pages are there in the user manual? Some Harry Potter books are the same length.

By the way. I know how to program lots of different VCRs including setting the time. I learned them by opening the manual when I **needed** to know. Not before.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Jul 16 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]479555[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with both.. I learned things by reading, but then when I forgot something, I would look it us "or" when I never learned it in the first place, I could look it up?

You may ask... "what do you mean never learned something?"

What happens is you get so saturated... even when reading over several days, there is tons to miss.
    Just like it was tough to learn history is school when you were a little kid and it wasn't pertinent to real life right now "you thought" so it didn't intrest!

Some folks also live in "survival mode", they only deal with issues when they arise and have to pay a more costly price for not being proactive, since they think being proactive is merely a waste of energy if its not a problem for today.

I've had both of my cars since Jan of 06 and there is still stuff I don't fully understand and I can't remember which of what I know came from the manual, verses..this thread or others, verses learning on my own.

Many folks feel the car drives so what else do you need to know?.....
    Thats ok for those who are not technical minded, but those folks are also up a creek for being aware of problems "before" they occur such as maintenance issues and warning signs and sounds.

I guess thats what they have their "husbands for".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

ok, let's assume "survival mode". The question still holds:

Why are people averse to reading the manual?

Why do people come here FIRST instead of reading the manual first? Assuming survival mode.

BTW, you may not remember everything you read in the manual--but it may trigger some things later on. And you may be surprised at things you'd like to know RIGHT NOW, things you didn't realize you wanted to know.

Best idea: peruse the manual when it's new, and a month later.

But to ignore it completely? And then to try to EXCUSE that? You are indeed wearing your ignorance like a badge of pride.

11. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 16 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]479612[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe people ask here first because they are more likely to get the answer to their specific question. It's sometimes hard to look it up in the manual when you're not sure where to look.

I am one of those people who actually does read manuals when I get something new. However, the Prius manual is pretty thick and I think I probably just skimmed through most of it, mainly to make sure I didn't miss some really cool feature. Also, if it's something that's not obvious to begin with, such as how to program the keyless fob so it opens all doors instead of just the front door, there's no point reading it until you're at the car and ready to do it.

However, the manual doesn't always answer the question that you're asking and it's not always easy to locate what you're looking for. While it will tell you what something is once you find it, it doesn't necessarily explain its function or what you do with it. For example, the first time that little icon showing the skid marks flashed on my dashboard, I found it pretty disconcerting because I thought I must have done something bad but didn't know what. When I finally located it in the manual, all it said was that it was the skid (or was it skip?) icon ... or something like that. It didn't tell me what it meant or what, if anything, I should do if it comes on. So I asked here. I think I learned that it was to do with traction control that kicks in automatically to help prevent skidding -- is that right? Anyway, my point is, I got a better answer here than in the manual -- but I would generally try to look it up in the manual first.

12. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 07 page #5 head light switch does not have an "auto" third position as listed in the owners manual.

13. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The bolt in the rearmost bracket for the 12V battery actually drills through the bottom of the trunk. If you remove that bolt you can see the ground! Same isn't true for the other bracket though.

14. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

No question. Hence the need for forums like this.

But when the manual does answer the question explicitly....

Of all cars on the road, the Prius is the last one for which "I know how cars work, I don't need a stinkin' manual" applies.

15. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 16 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]479612[/snapback]</div>
    We've already answered your questions. Apparently you can't read. If you can't read this, which is a lot shorter than a manual, why should I read the whole manual?

I'm done answering you. If you can't get it, you can't get it.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you know you can open the hood for the gas cap by a little lever on the left side on the floor by the driver's seat?

True story: It's been so long since I filled up, I had to stop and think about it a couple of seconds today.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 17 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]480363[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto.. I had one of those moments before... had to pause and think what to do to release the door lol.

18. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 17 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]480366[/snapback]</div>
    I had to do that yesterday. I got out of the car to fill it and forgot to release the fill door. Then I had to think about how to do it. :p

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 17 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]480363[/snapback]</div>
    That's why there a little arrow on the left side of the gas pump symbol. You might forget which side the door for the gas cap is. :)

20. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you rotate your tires, you must rotate your tire pressure. :lol: Really.

Data Daedalus and hsnyder like this.