1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 30 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]487539[/snapback]</div>
    You mean with all the sound gear in the tray?

When I installed my equipment I ran extra length cables for everything (power, ground, RCA, speaker wires, etc.). One of my system requirements is that I should be able to completely remove the tray and set it on the ground without having to disconnect ANYTHING. This of course increased my wiring cost by about 1/3 (copper is expensive these days), but I figured it'd be worth it in case of emergencies or, more likely, when I need to work in the hatch area.

Nevertheless, even with shorter cables you still can place the tray sideway on one side atop the HV battery and the rear ledge to check the tire pressure through half the normal opening. Not a problem. Longer cables do, however, require you to be more tidy in coiling them up inside the spare tire well.

2. markgunn

markgunn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kestrel @ Dec 9 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]359876[/snapback]</div>
    ... and a rectangular Kleenex box fits snugly in the gap between the 2 rear seats when the arm rest is down.

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dareniott @ Jul 30 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]487480[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure about this? Normally, pressing Power twice (without the brake) will put you in Ig-On mode, which is different from 'Ready'. The only way to get to 'Ready' (and in turn, EV mode), is to hold the brake when you press Power.

Unless '07s are any different, but I highly doubt it...

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jul 30 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]487597[/snapback]</div>
    No, you are correct, you have to press the brake to get to Ready.
    Pressing the power button twice will put you in the Ig-On mode, but you can't drive in that mode.

5. dwd413

dwd413 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i have discovered to my amazement that if you are on a bluetooth call and Park and Power off the Prius without disconnecting your call first, you are still on the call, even though your handset may not know it. I found this out the hard way when i went to make another call and found i was still connected to the previous call. Thank Heavens that previous call was t-mobile to t-mobile and therefore free minutes, otherwise that would have been over 60 wasted minutes on my phone bill.

I LOVE MY PRIUS... just wanted to warn people to be sure and END their calls before exiting the car, or at least be aware that it may still be connected.

P.S. I impressed the socks of my hair stylist when I showed my new Prius.... Hit the VOX button and said "Chinese Food" and the NAV system turned on the icons and listed the Pei Wei that was in the parking lot in front of us.... He just about fainted....

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug in Orlando @ Jul 30 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]487880[/snapback]</div>
    That depends on your handset. My old phone (LG PM-325) disconnected the call under such circumstances. My present phone (Sanyo Katana) transfers the call to the handset.

7. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dareniott @ Jul 30 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]487480[/snapback]</div>
    I could be wrong but on our '07 Touring version you have to press the Start button THREE times if you don't have your foot on the brake.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [attachmentid=10307]

Attached Files:

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pulling the key out in ACC mode goes straight to OFF without having to cycle the POWER button (Those with SKS can insert and remove the key in ACC mode)

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 1 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]488809[/snapback]</div>
    WOW! Just what I've been looking for!!!

Where did you find THAT little gem? Please don't tell me to RTFM!! :D

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you put gas in the tank and don' t fill it all the way, you may upset your guage and cause it to jam and not be accurate.
    It won't reset till you formally top off the tank by making it full.

12. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 1 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]488800[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe the '07s are different. I tried it again last night and sure enough, if my foot is off the break it takes four presses of the start button to get back to off.

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Aug 3 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]490137[/snapback]</div>
    My car is a 2007. It works just like it says in the manual. 1st press goes to ACC. 2nd press goes to IG-ON. 3rd press goes to Off. I just tried it out in the parking lot (very bored on a Friday afternoon).

14. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 3 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]490149[/snapback]</div>
    My '07 works the same way. If the weather looks good at my lunchtime, I take the windows from slightly open to all the way open. I get in and push the button twice, roll the windows down, then push the button again for off.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Aug 3 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]490137[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 3 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]490149[/snapback]</div>
    dogfriend,

That is because you keep the foot off the brake while OlsonBW keeps his foot off the break.

B)

16. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 3 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]490193[/snapback]</div>
    Where is the break located? I can only find the brake. :p

17. JenGwen323

JenGwen323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Vanity Mirror: I don't know if mine works while driving, but the light will only turn on if the cover is open AND the mirror is aimed at the driver/passenger's face. It turns off if the visor is pushed toward the windshield or roof.

That's one smart car!

18. JanZtax

JanZtax New Member

I just finished reading through all 27 pages of obscure facts and did learn a few new tricks.

In response to those of you who wondered whether a dead battery means nothing in the car works, I can assure you it does. I've never had as many rundown batteries as I've had since I've had my Prius. In fact, AAA wrote me recently that they're only going to come one more time before they start charging me. Like some of the rest of you, I've now bought a charger so that I don't have to call for assistance. However, I still don't quite understand posts like this:

"No she didn't point out the jumper posts under the hood that you use instead of connecting jumper cables to the 12v battery." Where are the jumper posts? Are they located in the equivalent place of a regular car that has a battery under the hood?

In answer to why some people don't read the manual, I sure tried to when I got my car. I got one of the early 04s and the manual was in English with a very heavy Japanese accent. Every other word seemed to be "caution". I could barely understand most of what I was reading, and it wasn't because I'm stupid. Which may explain why I have no idea exactly what is causing the frequent running down of the battery. For example, is there a way to sit in the car with the air-conditioning running without running down the battery?

And one of you senior posters who gets so impatient with everyone for not reading the manual posted the following excerpt from the manual:

"With the brake pedal pressed down, push the "P" position switch.

If you press the "POWER" switch while stopping, the transaxle is automatically shifted to the "P" and the hybrid system is turned off."

So which is it? I always press the power switch to turn off the car but I never press the "P" switch. It sounds like it might be okay what I'm doing but maybe it's not. In other words, things are not always as clear as they may seem to you and a little bit of patience with others would go far.

19. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Konagal @ Aug 7 2007, 02:49 AM) [snapback]491739[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm... something has to be running down the battery (i.e. lights left on), or you simply have a bad 12V battery. Although your profile says "other hybrid", I gather you have an '04 Prius based on a comment later in this post. It is possible one or more of the earlier drains of the 12V battery has damaged the battery (like it could with any car), and it doesn't hold a charge as well, leading to more jumps. I would have your 12V checked out and likely replaced.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Konagal @ Aug 7 2007, 02:49 AM) [snapback]491739[/snapback]</div>
    The 12V battery is physically located in the trunk on the right-hand side, however there are posts under the hood for convenience. I have never personally looked for them, though I believe they are under the cover with the fuses....? Perhaps someone else can confirm.

Heh heh... I don't remember remarking this with my '06, maybe some of the wording was improved in subsequent years. '04 was the first year after a redesign...

The A/C uses energy, which comes from the HV battery, which actually drains pretty quick. However, the hybrid system is designed to start the engine (ICE) to recharge the battery as soon as necessary. Therefore, in a properly-operating Prius, this is a non-issue. Note that the battery you see on the Energy screen is the 200V high-voltage battery (aka HV or traction battery) which propels the car and powers accessories, and is different from the 12V battery used to start the car. The 12V battery is what needs be jumped when the car won't start.

This is technically correct, though I can see how it would appear confusing to a new owner. What it is saying is that you should press the P (Park) button while holding the brake pedal to engage Park when you are stopping the car. However, if you forgo this step and just press the Power button while still in Drive, the car will automatically "push" the Park button for you. In other words, you cannot leave the car down in Reverse, Neutral or Drive. ;)

First, I think you will find most regulars around here are very patient with new users, so I would be careful with that type of comment... ;)

I don't believe there is anything wrong with just pressing the Power button, though I believe Toyota included this feature more as a "safety" mechanism than as a common usage. Sort of like how a lot of people on this board leave their headlights in the ON position since the car will override this and shut them off when you turn the car off and open the driver door. It will also work, though I doubt the "feature" was designed to used in that way...

Just my $0.02...

20. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Aug 7 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]491901[/snapback]</div>
    There was a thread on PC about the necessity for pushing [P] before (Power). The consensus was that there's nothing wrong with pushing the Power button without first hitting Park. In fact, when you do so, the [P] LED with illuminate for a few moments just before everything powers down.

IMHO, I would think that if it wasn't intended to be used this way, and only done as a safety feature, then they wouldn't have bothered mentioning it in the manual, which implies that it's SOP.