1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    And the rear wiper, is dang near impossible to fit right, if you buy an aftermarket product. (getting out the dremmel)

2. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I didn't go through all these posts but the obscure fact I discovered today when driving east in the late afternoon with the sun blazing that the bottom portion of the rear window the bottom has more clarity than the top portion. Of course the sun has to be very bright for you to experience this clarity.

3. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is an inside hatch release

Anyone tell me where? I haven't seen anyone post it on here yet.

Thanks.

4. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    See your owner's manual. It is listed there in the section on opening the doors.

On the 2008, it's in a most inconvenient place. I really think that I'd hate to have to get at this thing from the inside. It could be done, but frankly it's much easier to reach if the hatch is already open.;)

Open the compartment in the floor of the cargo area. On the inside of the rear wall of the storage compartment (rear meaning the side closest to the back of the car), near the top center is a small access plate. It's not hard to find, it's the only access plate that's on the back wall of the storrage compartment and right under the hatch locking mechanism. Take that off (the manual says you need a screwdriver, but I've had the plate off with my hands.) Through the access port you can reach a lever that releases the hatch latch.

5. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Yep, I recently crawled through the back of the car to activate that emergency release. I was thankful for yoga classes.

6. A strolling player

A strolling player Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It'd be the same "errant radio signal" that unlocks and starts your car in the first place. I don't see why you're not just as worried that you're driving a car in which an "errant radio signal" could allow the doors to be unlocked and the car to be driven away.

Anyway, the steering lock would only activate with the car off and stationary.

7. PoulStaugaard

PoulStaugaard Now a PriusOwner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It took me a while to figure this out: The indentations in the sides of the plastic tray under the boot floor are designed to hold the tonneau cover.

8. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought that odd until I decided that the light around the button helps me to find the button in the dark!:D

9. nazzy

nazzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It should be that is correct. That's because the Gas engine shuts down in city driving often. Remember ? Each time you stop at a light or sign.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But you also don't cover any miles!
    I think a major difference between city and country, well there are a couple, first is higher speed induces more air drag and second is when you lift your foot to slow or stop you go into a no fuel situation, therefore using only stored kinetic energy while covering miles. It's something like a badly executed pulse and glide. This combined with lower wind resistance gives better mileage in cities.

Of course really good drivers don't stop at traffic lights, they never use the brakes at speeds greater than 8mph and they don't hold up traffic.

11. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When the Prius is locked the SKS system sends out signals similar to tracking devices hidden along with dye packs in money stolen from banks. Long story short... nearby bank robbery, cops surround my Prius with radio direction finders, summon me down out of my office, unlock car signal stops, lock car, signal starts again. Did not joke with the officers :fear:

12. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OMG are you serious??!

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had a few reports of Home Depot sensors going off b/c of SKS keys but I haven't heard that in a few years.

14. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the SKS sets off store security things cause when i walk in or out i beep. anywhere any time its wierd

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If your Prius has a backup camera, try this:

Park your car outdoors; lift up the hatch; put the car in Reverse while holding the brake pedal.

Enjoy the fish-eyed sky view! :)

16. MR.K

MR.K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The best one I know is and save you much bucks: Hold down the start button for 10 seconds to reboot everything!.....Here's the deal ...Some trouble codes when they are thrown 3 times in a row shuts down the main ECM ...you try to start ...but no READY light ...I had this happen after I fixed the problem and cleared the code, tried to start.... ..no READY light ...Then I held the READY button down 10 seconds ..all is beautiful .....

17. nzdoctorbob

nzdoctorbob New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    NHW10 (1998 model) constant velocity joints $1500.00 and only available ex japan, no aftermarket manufacturers.

18. morgasshk

morgasshk TMCA Sales and Product Trainer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius would make a fantastic rally car... ;)

19. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those of you with factory Navigation Ver 7.1 know that it got rid of the original "I Agree" screen for a Warning screen that times out automatically, before going to the MAP display.
    Neat, but I've always felt the timeout feature took way too long. Kind of annoying.
    Well, I just discovered that if you push the MAP button on the steering wheel twice, in rapid succession, the system will go to the MAP screen without any wait !!!

Give it a try.

20. gak27

gak27 Prius, Take Two

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure if this has been listed already or not (sorry, didn't read through all 738 posts:rolleyes:):

The MFD/radio console is not directly centered between the two front seats; it's slightly toward the passenger (at least to my somewhat calibrated eyes)...

Greg