1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

One feature, known by most but a mystery to a small minority, is that if you fail to replenish the gasoline supply when the Prius tells you to, you will run out.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OAT reading is actually in Celsius even for the US-spec cars. Watch, as it'll skip numbers in Fahrenheit.

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Power button on the audio head unit is equivalent to pause/mute.

The JBL amp has a programmable equalizer (although unknown what equipment is needed to aftermarket reprogram it).

4. Stilview

Stilview New Member

An incoming or outgoing Bluetooth call while listening to the CD pauses the CD.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miwaku @ Nov 21 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]352445[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'll be a monkey's Uncle. My stereo turns on with one push of the mode button, too! Oops. -_-

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 21 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]352859[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! Not. Unless they thought we wanted fog lights that do nothing. A cargo light and puddle lights that are too dim to see anything with, arm-rest padding that does't exist, no factory tint stip at the top of the windshield, an exterior antenna that gets in the way of cargo racks, no way to "officially" carry a bicycle outside the vehicle, ugly wheel covers, no height adjustment or lumbar adjustment for the driver's seat, no seat-heat option, dangerously invisible 5W tail lights, no standard interior bulb configuration, no LED lighting except the brake lights (and glove box)....

Uh... I've decided that I have other stuff to do, and I could be here all night. I do love the car, but it is by no means perfect!

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(klevitsky @ Nov 21 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]352662[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but can you get the lid of the fuse-box open first time? Not easy. I was shown how to do it but I still find it hard to open.

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 22 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]352905[/snapback]</div>
    OK, point taken. :)

My comment was more of a 'rhetorical' (?) reaction to something I didn't realize, not necessarily to be taken literally. ;)

9. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 21 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]352764[/snapback]</div>
    A while back I got the chance (totally deserted four-lane highway") to do what turned out to be a 9-minute low-speed coast. Rather than hold the pedal just off the stop to maintain a "glide," I instead just shifted to neutral. And guess what? Though I was rolling at about 25-30 mph for several minutes, I got "the missing tooth." No mpg bar was displayed for that period.

I can't say whether the mileage computer added this distance to its MPG calculations but, based on the missing green bar, it's possible it did not.

GeronimoPFudgemuffin

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Nov 20 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]352357[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't think it was true that you couldn't turn on the driver vanity light while moving, but since I can't get to my car now, I checked the wiring diagram. For 2004, the wiring diagram does not support your theory.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 21 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]352628[/snapback]</div>
    That's why there is a jump terminal under the hood.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 21 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]352764[/snapback]</div>
    That's not true. It will display 99MPG. At least it does on the 2004-2007. For the classic, it displays 0.
    Reason: divide by zero is an error, but something has to be displayed. However, a display as close to infinite is more logical based on approach analysis. If you manage to drive 50 miles and use 1 gallon of gas, you get 50MPG. If 1/2 a gallon, that's 100MPG. If 1/4 gallon, 200MPG. Keep bringing the number of gallons smaller and smaller, and the MPG goes up and up. So if you were REALLY, REALLY close to zero, your MPG would be REALLY REALLY high.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the 12 v battery being in the trunk area and the jump post being in the front serves two purpses.

1) familiarity. the jump post is where its "supposed" to be.

2) safety. jumping a battery can be a hazardous job. escaping hydrogen gas could explode due to arcing when connecting jumper cables. that is why its recommended that you used a grounded part of the car instead of the negative battery post. connecting jumper cables on a point at the opposite end of the battery (dont panic, new batteries are way less susceptible to this problem) just makes the process a no-brainer for anyone

14. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Nov 22 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]352959[/snapback]</div>
    I also tested the vanity light on my 06 yesterday on the way home. Driving ~30MPH, I pulled down the visor and slid open the cover and indeed the light came on while in motion. It also turned off when pushed (almost) all the way forward, just as the passenger side does.

15. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure if this is unique to my 06, but every time I park on our sloping driveway (15-20 degrees) nose down and power off, the gas gauge will reset to FULL no matter how empty it is. It does not reset when powered off on level ground. It will go back to normal when it is filled up again. Not good if this is how it is suppose to work. It works fine if backed in.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not in the manual, but the 2004-07 comes with a hand crank that can be used for 'flash charging' the traction battery, in case you're away from a 220v outlet and it goes dead on you...
    [laughing]

Little know Prius feature: even if you're going well above the speed limit, people still tailgate you...just 'cause you're in a Prius. (it's times like these that a modified suspension comes in handy).

Data Daedalus likes this.
  17. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Nov 22 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]352959[/snapback]</div>
    I checked in my car, and you're right--the light comes on when you slide open the mirror cover whether you're moving or not.

But I swear, I checked both lights while driving once, and the driver's side one wouldn't come on while I was moving. When I stopped the car, I checked again, and it came on.

Hasty assumption on my part...mea culpa!

18. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"That's not true. It will display 99MPG. At least it does on the 2004-2007. For the classic, it displays 0.
    Reason: divide by zero is an error, but something has to be displayed. However, a display as close to infinite is more logical "

The math geeks here will point out that zero is just as "close to infinity" as 99. Both are infinitely far away, with no mathematical distinction made between the two measurements. It is not intuitive, but the accepted theory of infinity expresses that:
    "X plus infinity equals infinity"

So in this case with the diference between 0 and 99 equaling 99, we have:
    "99 plus infinity equals infinity"

Of course, for the average human being, this argument is gibberish, and of course you are right, Dan.

It took me years to (mostly) undo the damage from being a math major...

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 22 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]353178[/snapback]</div>
    Best of all ... the crank will directly engage the the drive line, allowing you to atain speeds up to 50mph, providing your non-steering-arm can withstand the 2,400 rpm's necessary to reach that speed.

1 person likes this.
  20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HV battery pack has usable energy (600 Watt Hours) of about 4 tablespoons of gasoline.