1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :p LOL! Now that's truly obscure! But, if anyone was going to take those measurements it would be you.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most Obscure Fact of the Month!! (or potentially, the year!)

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I better get out my calipers ... see if the height is the same, down to the half thousandth.
    ;)

4. MaxMPG

MaxMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When looking at the MPH (Km/Hr ) display you are actually looking at a an image reflected off a mirror. To clean a blurry image, clean the surface horizontal surface in front of the reflection.

5. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For those of you who want to sit and warm up your car for a minute or so before driving, you may be a bit frustrated by the fact that the engine may not start for 10 - 15 seconds after pressing the Start button.

Once the car is ready, simply press and release the gas while in park and the engine will start within about two seconds.

Whoops - incorrect forum. This is true for the 2010 Prius; I'm not sure about the earlier versions.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @Spartane - though I understand what you mean, there is nothing worse than "warming up" a Prius, or any other car for that matter. One warms up a car by driving it immediately at moderate speeds without any strong accelerations. The fuel wasted in "warming up" standing still defeats the whole purpose of having a Prius and is simply a waste in case of a normal car. Simply put: NEVER warm-up a car standing still!

Obscure fact: when travelling at speeds higher than 142km/h, regardless of the mode used (ie. Normal or ECO), the "ECO" indication on the Hybrid System Indicator will turn off, regardless of whether the bar is at the left or not of the middle. The indication will resume if driving at a slower speed.

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Another Obscure Fact: when selecting EV mode, the PWR Mode or the ECO mode indicators will stay lit - whether this means that the accelerator pedal response is affected according to the Mode selected, I could not guess. You are not really racing when in EV mode anyway....;)

Is there a list of the obscure facts available someplace?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. You kinda have to go through all the pages lol.

9. peftypeftypefty

peftypeftypefty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can do you one better: While listening to an mp3CD, hold the up or down arrow for a few seconds; it will change to the next / previous folder on the mp3CD.

10. PriOkkie

PriOkkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pfew, just finished reading this whole thread since discovering it last week. Thanks firefox for session restoring... ;-)

How on earth *did* you diagnose this??

ObFact: On the european version (or at least the Dutch one, no automatic lights), the headlights turn to parking lights when switching off the Prius, just like my previous Volkswagen. Contrary to my previous VW I can then switch the lights off and back on and then the normal lights will go on again. So, the car being "off" does not disable the headlights, it merely switches them off.

(Just to be sure I'm using the right terminology: off - parking lights - normal lights - high beam / in dutch: uit - stadslicht - dimlicht - grootlicht)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Soo... how do you turn them off then? You have to manually turn the headlight stalk to the "OFF" position?

If so, sounds like the way my smart worked too.

12. PriOkkie

PriOkkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I have to remember to turn the lights off before I leave the car. No automatic lights on this side of the pond as far as I know.

Is there already a thread listing differences between local versions?

ObAnotherFactIDiscovered: When switching to D or R you have to push the brakes. Nothing new here. But you can do it the other way around: Hold the stick in D or R position, ignore the warning beep and when you're ready to go, a short tap on the brake will do.

13. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, 84 pages and still going.:)

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and no auto-off either cause it still illuminates the parking light. Interesting.

Yes I have a thread listing the features of each country and an Excel sheet for comparison (the features has NL but the Excel sheet doesn't)

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html

15. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here in NY I needed to warm up my Prius for about 4-5 minutes this morning.
    Just to get the windows defrosted so I can see.
    was 13 degrees outside...................

16. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Were you defrosting the inside or outside? The outside you should scrape, rather than wait. If the inside started already frosted, you could try leaving a window opened a crack overnight so moisture can leave. (or sit with your door open for a minute when you pull into your driveway so the warm moist air can leave) If the frosting was happening because you had the nerve to actually breathe in a cold car.... well, if you turn the defrost on right away your breath will mostly be kept off the windshield. It really will warm up a lot faster if you're driving, but of course you have to be able to see out to do that. None of these suggestions always work, so sometimes you have to wait a bit (it's a bit better if you stand outside so you're not breathing in there, but no body does this unless they're scraping or shovelling).

17. PriOkkie

PriOkkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you know the Prius gen 2 has no horn? The manual doesn't mention one, so I assume there is no horn installed.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    huh? Are you talking about the horn on the steering wheel or the alarm?

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :D
    :D

yep . . . and the Gen III obscure facts thread is catching up, slowly but certainly.

:lol:

It doesn't say there are secret maintenance menus on the MFD either ... but lo and behold . . .

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So has anyone figured out what the calendar is for? I thought you could enter memos?