1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    wouldn't it be way cool if a hack was made so it'd sync with pocket PC outlook?

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    HAH!!! and I got it WRONG!!! The REAR logo is larger than the front one! I found out the hard way, but that is another story.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha. Now we have to remember which is the correct fact and which isn't.

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just remember BIG REAR. The image will stick in your memory.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure if this one's ever been posted before, but I just discovered it a few weeks ago and have been meaning to share it. It can actually be quite useful for 2004/2005 model owners.

On the 2004/2005 models the MFD fuel consumption data is automatically reset when you fill up the tank. So if you want to record your tank miles or MPG but forget to look before you refill then you're out of luck, because as soon as you start the car the data is gone. If however you immediately cycle through accessory then ig-on mode (start with foot off the brake) then the MPG data is not reset so you get another chance to look/record it.

If you do the above then even when you subsequently start the car (foot on the brake - ready mode) the MPG data is still there (despite the tank just being filled). This may look like a way around the 2004/2005 models limitation of only being able to average MPG data over a single tank but it isn't. Although the data is not reset immediately on start up (like it is if you go straight to ready after a fill up) it does in fact reset itself some time in the first 50 meters or so as you drive off.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh god LOL. Yeah that definitely did the trick!

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just when you think this thread is as bloated as it can get:
    If you try to put 5 or more simultaneous destinations into the NAV's route plan, it will max out - not let you input beyond that amount. I wonder what the Gen III max is. Anybody?

8. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The reverse beeps are not supposed for the driver, it's supposed for anybody outside the car so they can notice you moving in EV reverse. You're suppose to wide open all windows before backing up so that the tiny beeping sound can be heard further outside. This is not new. They have this reversing beeping feature on all tractor trailers and large trucks since day 1.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that was written in jest. It is definitely for the driver, not pedestrians (the beep is present on other Toyota models with a 6-speed manual)

It's 5 destinations on the Gen 6 nav. Luckily my last trip had 5 destinations lol.

10. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Of course the reverse beep was definitely for the driver, how else can Toyota reach the goal of annoying their loyal customers?

My post was NOT JUST written in jest, but a wishful thinking that the annoying reverse beeps can be reprogrammed to sound outside the car (it does beep outside when you lock/unlock the car), not inside.

Prius mod experts, interested?

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Better yet, find the beeper, tap into it's signal and add an amplifier and outside speaker. That way, every time you back up people would look around to see where the garbage truck was:D

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is simple, just replace one of the reverse lamps with a lamp that also includes a beeper (if they make them for the Prius). They are not really loud but good enough.

[edit]
    Well perhaps not so simple... I did a quick Google and was not able to find any for the 921 wedge type bulb (or compatible). If anyone knows of one, please post.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you know?

If you filled the entire solar system plane from the Sun out to the orbit of the Earth with Gen 2 Prius’s parked end to end and side to side with 1 meter gaps between, then you’d fit in 4.58 x 10^21 Priuses and in total they’d weigh 6 x 10^24 kg (mass), exactly the same as the mass of the Earth.

Spooky or what ! :eek:

Data Daedalus likes this.
  14. korat102

korat102 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I found the reverse beep an annoying distraction on my 2005 Prius. It took me ages to more or less get used to it. For some reason Toyota decided that those of us in Europe shouldn't be allowed to turn it off.

Something I've noticed, people talk about pressing areas of the screen top left/top right, etc. to get to 'other' screens. I've never managed to get that to work. Was wondering if that was specific to particular models or locations? I've been able to get the other methods, e.g. holding 'Info' while turning lights on and off, to work.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.

I thought someone did it before but it's probably buried deep into the PC archives (and we don't have any means of linking to the old pages).

16. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fact: You will fail your driving test if you face forward and use all the rear looking items on the prius while backing up: the two side mirrors, rear view mirror and backup cam.

86 pages and 3 hours later and I got my tissue box in place now thank you very much.
    Great reading of tidbits.

17. korat102

korat102 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the circuit diagrams, I suspect it may be part of the combination meter. They definately didn't want to make it easy to get rid of! I haven't been tempted to remove the thing to take a look...

18. Mike4puy

Mike4puy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, me too.......It doesn't like hills for good mileage that's for sure but enough power though. Love my 2005 Prius after a month.

Attached Files:

19. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When in the display diagnostic mode you cannot turn on the radio

20. aa1a

aa1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a tiny triangle on the left side of the fuel gauge to indicate that the fuel filler is on the left side of the car.