1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 26 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]354340[/snapback]</div>
    I considered getting on of those.. my Jeep has 4 amps and it sounds like a concert hall inside.. my prius is so so, but good for a new stock car.

This is not the right place to talk about that subject, but I found that to do it right, driving the bazooka off the regular head unit was not a good idea, which mean't amps, which led to more speakers.. so the whole adventure cost almost a grand.

2. dachshund

dachshund New Member

No, I guess we're not supposed to talk about this here, but adding extra amps to the integrated JBL/NAV/bluetooth system is rocket science to most car stereo shops. "I've never worked on a Prius".... "Wadaya mean you want our amp AND the audio from the NAV?? We can't do that..."
    So contrats to anyone who get this to work. :(

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. thepawn

thepawn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Nov 23 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]353477[/snapback]</div>
    Just depends on if the engine is on or not. I've been waiting in traffic where the engine came on (battery was low) and during that period, no bar...but when in battery creeping, 99...

4. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There IS? I have GOT to check that out tomorrow because I always struggle with keeping the floor up. :blink:

<_< There's a small shelf between the hinge enclosures of the upper glove compartment. I haven't found a practical use for it.
    [/quote]

I find it a perfect spot to keep a small notepad and pen on which I am recording the date of each fill-up, how much the gas was per gallon, and the resulting MPG calculation. Which has tragically, precipitously plunged -- plunged! I say! :angry: -- from 51 MPG to a mere 47 MPG in the three months of my ownership. Toyota-san's ashes must be rolling in his grave! :unsure:

5. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 21 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]352658[/snapback]</div>
    An Altoids tin fits nicely in this shelf.

My obscure facts:
    The trunk is just big enough to fit a golf bag (cart bag) with a full length driver but only when positioned just right, diagonally. On my first test drive, I actually had the salesman park by my old car so I could demo the fit. :)

Don't be alarmed if you're on a long downhill and the engine starts reving. Your battery is full and your Prius switched to engine braking. Caught me off guard the first time it happened to me.

Great thread!

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i used that shelf for change mostly car wash change....

7. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 21 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]352658[/snapback]</div>
    I've been wondering about the odometer readings when in reverse (thought they went backwards). ;)

Thanks for the tip about the metal bar to prop up the cargo floor.

I use the small shelf in the upper glove compartment for my tire pressure gauge(s) and my emergency window-breaking hammer/seatbelt slicer.

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :p Little known fact: The average Prius driver is well above average in intelligence, attractiveness, and wealth.

:angry: Annoying fact: There is no drain on the passenger side of the windshield. Water drains towards the middle or towards the driver side. Therefore, if you are parked on a slight incline towards the passenger side and it's raining (or you wash the car), there will be a small pool of water in the wiper well on the passenger side.

:mellow: Question for someone who might have done this on purpose or accidentally since I'm not going to try it: What happens if you push the Power button while the car is moving?

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Nov 28 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]354787[/snapback]</div>
    wont hurt the car... you will hear the same thing that happens if you try shifting to reverse while moving forward etc. just a few beeps is all, just a small bit of whining from your Prius

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    .... and it shifts in neutral.

Pretty foolproof considering that turning the key on a regular will shut off the car and shifting to reverse will bust your transmission.

11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The MFD maintains three separate brightness/contrast settings:
    1) lights off or thumb wheel turned all the way up
    2) lights on, thumb wheel not turned up all the way, and "Day Mode" button off.
    3) lights on, thumb wheel not turned up all the way, and "Day Mode" button pressed.

(Edit: The "Day Mode" button is located on the "Display" screen, but only if the lights are on and the thumb wheel is not turned all the way up.)

You can set the brightness and contrast separately for each of these modes.

So, you could set the mode "1" setting real bright so you can see the screen well at noon. You can set the mode "2" settings real dim so it's not distracting at night and in fact so dim that you can't even read it in the daylight. And you can set the mode "3" setting to any other brightness/contrast level you want.

And, as a bonus, the "Day Mode" button state is remembered even if you turn off the car. So, if you find that with your dim nighttime MFD settings the graphics on the NAV screen are unreadable, then you can set the mode "3" settings as dim as your mode "2" nighttime settings and leave the "Day Mode" button on. With that, you get nighttime dimness with daytime graphics on the NAV screen.

By the way, the dimmest MFD setting is produced by turning the brightness all the way down and the contrast all the way up.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 28 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]354825[/snapback]</div>
    wow this is obscure!!! we should gleem this thread and put in the FAQ's. lots of good stuff here

13. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 28 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]354825[/snapback]</div>
    Good info! Where is the "Day Mode" button? Buried in one of the menus?

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 28 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]354793[/snapback]</div>
    Same goes for PARK above a certain speed. The car will instead shift to neutral rather than locking the wheels and possibly damaging the park lock prawl. At lower speeds, however, the wheels will abruptly lock.

15. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Nov 28 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]354839[/snapback]</div>
    Not at all. Press the "Display" button on the MFD and it is right there at the top of the screen, but only if the lights are on and the thumb wheel is not turned all the way up.

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Nov 21 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]352472[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it would have been kept secret forever since it's identified in the owner's manual. No one would ever think to look there. :rolleyes:

17. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Nov 28 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]354841[/snapback]</div>
    But for obscure, did you know the car keeps track of "an idiot has been driving me"?
    Found this in the technician training area of the techinfo site:

[attachmentid=5787]

And here is some of what is in the "Operation History Data" (see 3rd from the bottom):

[attachmentid=5788]

- Tom

Attached Files:

18. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow. The Prius forgives, but it doesn't forget... :huh:

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 28 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]354885[/snapback]</div>
    There's an owner's manual? Woah, ANOTHER obscure Prius fact I just learned!

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Nov 28 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]354910[/snapback]</div>
    LOL. I wonder if my technician knows about that