1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Obscure Prius Facts (Way out there)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeronimoPFudgemuffin @ Dec 1 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]356388[/snapback]</div>
    I find that wearing a watch works better than carrying around a Prius.

Likewise, the Prius is a bit large to be considered a "boom box".

inframan likes this.
  2. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeronimoPFudgemuffin @ Dec 1 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]356388[/snapback]</div>
    Go outside.

3. riksvag

riksvag New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(engunneer @ Nov 21 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]352755[/snapback]</div>
    Well, only if the enginge is running of course. I don't consider that a bug, but there's still a bug when I start moving, which was the point of the posting: When I reset, and start moving in EV and the flow of petrol through the engine is zero, and travels a few meters, the average consumption measured in liters per 100 kilometers must be 0, and not as it incorrectly says in my Prius: 99,9 liters per 100 kilometers.

Remember, the motor has not yet started.

So, the calculation should work out fine, no division by zero errors or anything like that should be encountered: 0 liters per 100 kilometers, and not 99,9.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Dec 1 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]356382[/snapback]</div>
    Fine, I'll save your *** from reading the manual lol.

The trapezoidal one goes in the upper glovebox. It slots in.

The rectangular one with velvet goes into the centre console box.

5. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Dec 1 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]356382[/snapback]</div>
    Sure there is - lots of places. put some change in an old 35 mm film can. throw the film can in the center console, or the dash cubbyhole, or the top glovebox, or the bottom glovebox, or the drawer under the console, or in the bin in the door, or in the cupholder on the back side of the center console, or even in the overhead sunglass holder. :)

What, no film cans? go get one of those little squeezy change holder things and put it somewhere you like.

6. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Dec 1 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]356396[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh, but that you publicly admit to having tried it reveals much.

GeronimoPFudgemuffin

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't think I saw this one in prior posts ... and pretty trivial. Upon starting up, you can take off in stealth 'till you get up to say 15mph ... if you flip it into neutral before the ICE kicks on, you'll just coast (I'm on a slight incline) a ways ... the ICE won't kick on. Of course if you aren't on incline for the rest of your drive, you have to flip it back into drive, to begin ICE. But the ICE won't kick on 'till you flip it back into Drive.

8. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius Maximus @ Dec 1 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]356529[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK - - I took this track one step further. I shopped for a change maker on the internet. When it came, I could see it was pretty well made - but BULKY. I decided to remove the portion that held pennys & nickels. I hoping that the pictures make it through that I took tonight.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Nov 28 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]355044[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheap! -

Now THAT is a little known fact! I like the concept.

Attached Files:

9. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

Hi gang. This is my first post. I bought a green - ok, silver pine mica [whatever that means] - '07 Prius a couple of weeks ago and I dig it! It was supposed to replace [obscure fact coming soon] her Chrysler Pacifica, but... A. I went bananas for the Prius and, B. she confessed that she secretly lusted after my '06 Honda Civic - even though it's a manual! Apparently we bought each other's cars. Works for me!
    (Wife chimes in....) I don't think he just digs the Prius... can anyone say... "I LOVE MY PRIUS!!!" Oy vey...
    the words echo through the house the minute he gets home. And yes, I love my Honda Civic!

And now you've met the wife ;) . Obscure fact: You don't have to push Park when you turn the car off. Just come to a stop and push Power. The car automatically goes into Park. Of course, I still push Park first 'cause I'm paranoid, but there you go.

10. fphinney

fphinney Member

This is one I've discovered recently. Lower the driver's window. Park the car. Shut down the Prius & get out. Reach in the open window & press the 'Lock' button. Flip up the 'Close Window' lever (it's supposed to close all the way by itself).

Later, when you return to your car, you'll find that the Fob won't work!

11. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I’m laughing out loud. That is the best coin holder I have seen on any car. You don't even have to look when you count your change. :D

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When navigator girl speaks, it only comes out of the drivers speaker in the door and whatever was coming out of that speaker gets muted so you can hear her. "at least that what it sounds like"

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Dec 3 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]356988[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto for the Bluetooth phone integration.

Now, I just wish there was a way to keep the turn by turn voice navigation on, but just have it mute when a phone call is active. As it is ('06), if you have an active voice call them press the Map button, 'Jill' will mute your phone conversation for a few seconds to repeat the last directive. <_<

I believe the only current way to get around this is to turn the voice nav off completely, then switch, which is a pain... (disclaimer - never tested this, but I assume this would work)

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Dec 3 2006, 04:52 AM) [snapback]356900[/snapback]</div>
    HEY, I have one of those, I got it from my grandfather who was a trolly driver in Columbus in the 30's and 40'. It has little slots for transfer tickets as well. I used it in the 70's on my paper route. Wonder what I could get for it on e-bay. It is heavy steel construction too.

15. Firefighter

Firefighter New Member

The Prius Clock, although practical:

The digital color readout does not match any digital color on the dash.
    Probably cost us $ 100 burried in the total cost.
    Is EXACTLY the same size and font as the dash stick on digital clocks you could buy for $ 5.00 in 1970.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FieroGT @ Dec 3 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]357150[/snapback]</div>
    No worries. It looks EXACTLY the same as the Cdn$70k (US$50k?) Toyota Crown in Japan if it makes you feel better :D

17. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FieroGT @ Dec 3 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]357150[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... I always found the clock a bit out of place as well, in such a high-tech car.

In fact, the very first time I took my brother for a ride in the car, the very first thing he said was "What's with the 1986 clock?". :lol:

18. riksvag

riksvag New Member

Funny thing with my EU Prius manufactored in September 2006:

During full acceleration 0-100 Km/h, the power gives a pulsing sensation.

Second one: high power/acceleration,
    Second two: slightly lower power/acceleration,
    Second three: high power/acceleration again,

and so forth.

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimgraffam @ Nov 27 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]354711[/snapback]</div>
    I don't believe that's exactly right from what I've read. The Prius does not engine brake unless you engage B on the shifter. What's actually happening is the motor turning on to burn some battery energy when it gets overcharged. At high speeds/RPMs, the engine must running in order for the motor/engine/driveshaft RPMs to be matched properly, which is why you hear the engine rev when the motor starts.

20. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Press and hold the talk button for a few seconds. You'll be told that you should press the button briefly to start voice recognition, as opposed to holding it like you just did.