1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motor mount bracket help asap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amjohnson, Nov 3, 2016.

1. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was underneath my car changing oil checking everything over and went to touch the bracket that's in the middle of the car felt something loose and I thought it was a rock I removed it thinking it was a rock wasn't stuck on there just was laying up there on top of this bracket needless to say it was not a rock Googling some pictures this is what I found what is the point of this metal piece and how do I get it put back on 1478204003773.jpg 1478204040644.jpg 1478204234195.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

1478204360440.jpg here is the top side where it's supposed to go on is it just a weight or what is the purpose of it

1478208495254.jpg round circular thing in the middle is what fell off can you please tell me what it is for

SFO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, no idea, but i'll give you a bump for more attention hopefully. all the best!(y)

amjohnson likes this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is tuned mass damper. There are two on that same part. The one that’s broken off and the one that’s square block to the side. There are also others in Prius like the one on left (passenger) side engine mount. Those are designed to stop resonances from happening or to quiet resonances down.

I would just leave it off. And don’t worry about it.

Because as car ages rubber in those pars deteriorates and changes the frequency where it’s tuned which makes those parts less useful. Also older cars tend to have some resonances and noises anyways. And Prius doesn’t have any resonance related problems (that could be link to this part) so these aren’t needed because of structural integrity.

suhrspamalot, SFO and bisco like this.
  4. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you so much for answering my question least I know it's not going to fall apart going down the road now you are a lifesaver thank you for helping a lady out

bisco likes this.