1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone, thank you for your time, ya'll are great!
    Does anyone happen to know how many motor mounts the gen 2 prius has? My ICE seems to shudder quite a bit when it fires up. I've checked the one underneath the engine and it looks good.
    So say there is 3 mounts and i could only replace 1 of them which on does the most dampening?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Three

How many miles on the odometer?
    When were the iridium spark plugs last replaced?

Don't forget the basics before focusing upon an issue like motor mounts which is not a high failure rate item.

3. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the spark plugs about 8,000 miles ago. The engine still runs great (237,400 miles) but the first second when the engine is being rotated (started) @1200 rpm by the electric mg1 (I think?) It doesn't sound smooth. Any ideas?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering the car has logged 237K miles, what do you expect. If the engine runs OK after the first second has elapsed, then why worry.

A failed motor mount is not going to change how the engine sounds. It will allow the engine to move around more than normal if the mount is loose, that is all.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick, that's sorta what I was thinking. I looked again at the lower engine mount and it isn't cracked or anything, it does look like it has some stretch marks on the rubber though. I might replace it sometimes.
    Do you know if thats a difficult task?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never seen motor mounts mentioned here in almost 8
    Years. They don't fail because its tiny little motor
    That runs rough and is very noisy with its solids.

7. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd think it would be more common for the mount to wear out, because the engine starts and stop so many times. Good job Toyota!

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah....but tiny little 90 horse motor.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that would be particularly difficult. The official name is "engine moving control rod with bracket".

Tightening torque is 74 ft.-lb for the bolts that go into the powertrain and 41 ft.-lb for the bolts that go into the front suspension crossmember.

I would also suggest using a hydraulic floor jack with a piece of wood in the saddle to hold up the powertrain while you are replacing that part. It shouldn't be under much load since the top motor mounts are holding the engine, but just as a precaution.

AndyZaa and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  10. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Good information :)

11. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have someone watch the motor mount when you start the engine. You will see if it rocks at that point. Be sure to put wheel chocks in front of the tires first though. You could video the motor mounts too.

12. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I recently changes two of my engine mounts (one underneath and one on the passenger side). The engine run a lot quieter. I initially did not understand why. But after some analysis, there are two reasons for engine noise improvement and make it runs smoother. First, Engine mount is designed to absorb vibration. Old engine mount cannot do a good job on this and therefore some of the noise that we hear (the typical Toyota valve noise) was actually from the engine mount. Second, replacing the mount make the engine run smoother because This Prius, the exhaust use donuts to connect between the exhaust manifold and the center pipe. Old mount may slight change the position of the engine inside the engine compartment. Replacing engine mount can correctly position the engine and therefore making the donuts connection perfectly align and reduce the exhaust leak. I believe some people may have experience that as the car get old, exhaust sound getting louder even after replacing the donuts and check that there is no leak. This is the reasoning. I recently refurbish my Prius front end by replacing the lower control arm, sway bar bushing, links, ball joints, and tie rod. And I found there there were still noise, took me some time to find out that it was the engine mount. After replacing the two engine mounts, the engine become much smoother. Still I need to figure out how to change the driver side engine mount. Basically, my car drive almost like brand new even it has over 190K miles.

2008_Prius and SFO like this.
  13. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you let me know which two your replaced? A diagram or pic would be great and also any instructions on how to?

I think my main culprit is the mount labeled "1" in the diagram. [​IMG]

#13 maximusdec, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  14. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did you try replacing #1 on that diagram? My prius needs engine mounts too at 200k I can definately feel a lot of NVH through the body as the engine kicks in.

15. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No. I am sitting at about your mileage. Am doing a refub on her. First going to change all the shock and mounts. Then will tackle the mounts of necessary .

16. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry for the late reply, 1 and 4 are what I replaced.

m.wynn likes this.
  17. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At some point I also want to replace "5" since replacing all engine mount will definitly made the engine smoother. I mean my car has almost 195K miles and it still run like new. why now? and the mount is not too expensive. The only issue is I don't know how to remove the inverter for the mount to install.

18. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced #1...it was a simple job of removing three bolts. The mount wasnt torn or anything. It didnt make a whole lot of difference in terms of play when the ICE starts and stops. But what I did notice was a different in the firmness and power delivery when gas pedal is pressed to get going. Especially on highway.

19. Yaga1973

Yaga1973 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever get around to replacing mount #5? If so, what were your results?

20. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never did. The car is still running and it's driven by one of my siblings. It has 310k miles now and runs fine!