1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motor Running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by roso, Apr 15, 2005.

1. roso

roso New Member

Here's a question for all, while going down the the avenue, my engine will kick in as always, I know this is normal, but, when it kicks in, there is a slight jolt. The best way I could describe it, like a mis-step. Here's another question, while in a stop position, the engine is on, but the monitor shows no activity. The engine would continue for several minutes and still shows no actvity.

Your thoughts

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "jolt" is normal. This is what happens when the vehicle brings the ICE on and adds that stream of power to the power split device. The way it feels or strength of the jolt varies upon a lot of things, like road speed and how much acceleration demand you are asking out of the car when the ICE turns on.

When you are at a stop and the engine is running, it will not usually show any activity in terms of charging activity. This is normal. The engine is running because it is cold and needs to get up to the proper operating temperature that will warm the catalytic converters to the proper point that will provide the least emissions. Also, in the winter, the engine may run to provide cabin heat on top of keeping the converters at the proper temperature.

3. roso

roso New Member

Even though it show no activity on the monitor, not even recharging display

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The system will let the engine run free and with no load, i.e. power generation, when it is trying to warm up. The vehicle will only choose to run the engine at a stop and generate power if the state of charge is low enough to justify it. Keep in mind, that if you run a gas engine with no load just to keep it and the converters warm, that requires a lot less fuel than if you need to run it under the load of a generator to produce power.

This is normal behavior, especially when the vehicle has first started and is cold.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    stepping on the brake harder may also help induce the engine to shut off, or so I understand. that could be wrong so if it is, someone please correct me. I always press hard on the brake at stoplights in case I get rear ended so I don't go flying into the car ahead of me or into the intersection... started doing that after a 3-car pileup that barely missed hitting me from behind.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep the brake mashed pretty hard and have never found that to trigger the ICE shut-off. It's one of the reasons I like my EV button...I can force it off as I'm approaching a stop.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I had something odd happen yesterday. I'm 3000 miles in. I powered up and reversed out of a spot (before the engine started), then selected drive and pulled away. The engine started after I moved a few feet, but at the same instant, I applied the brakes as I reached a junction. The car jerked forward and stopped abruptly, and the engine cut out, feeling exactly like I'd slipped off the clutch of a manual and stalled.

As I pulled away again, the engine started smoothly, and everything carried on as normal.

Anyone seen this before? It was the least elegant behaviour I've seen from the Prius so far.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    KMO??

was your speed dropping at 8 mph when this "jerk" happened?

that is when regen cuts off. it is noticeable although i think using the term jerk is overstating it a bit.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I would have been 3-5mph, tops. The really odd thing was that the engine started for the first time, from cold, then stopped almost immediately, and quite violently. It would normally run for at least 30 seconds after the first start.

And I've never seen a rough stop like that, and certainly not with a forward jerk. Shudders as the engine stops in stage 3, yes, and the odd rocking sensation when the engine stops and starts while in P, but not a violent "stalling" sensation.

10. roso

roso New Member

infact this is the same problem inconjunction with a jerk but the ebgine stays in for a while??