1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motor shake after head gasket change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Van Baggett, May 2, 2023.

1. Van Baggett

Van Baggett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone. I just changed the head gasket (the egr and intake was cleaned out completely about 2 months ago) and was still clean. Drove around after I buttoned everything up and it ran great.

while driving the next day after getting off the interstate the engine started shaking real bad. So bad I had to park it and take an Uber into work. Had it towed and am trying to figure out the issue.

No oil or coolant loss. Pulled the plugs and they are wet. Smells like gas. Put new plugs in and same problem(as soon as engine comes on it knocks and shakes). Have new injectors and coil packs coming tomorrow. Swapped around coil packs and same problem. Vehicle code says misfire on 1 and 2.

if all the swap outs don’t work then will check the timing chain. Any other ideas?

thanks!

2. Van Baggett

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also unplugged the egr solenoid to see if there was improvement and none.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Get the car on a lift or roll it up on decent ramps jack it up and stand it however you do it get under the car and look in the center of the engine section along Pistons one through four this is the spot that cracks when everything is going crazy when the head gasket is starting to blow and the engine's rocking and knocking between transitioning from electric to whatever when all the business is going on. Your center section may be bad this is the open deck design problematic flaw if you will. You need to look at that real good and see if that area is starting to show any stressing or cracking people if hear us posted pictures of this center section broken so I don't need to post that.

4. Van Baggett

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found the problem. One of the rockers was loose and popped off on cylinder one. Will put it back on , retime everything and hope it didn’t cause any damage.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only one?

6. Van Baggett

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, just one. First one in the front on cylinder one.