1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motor Sound When Brake is Depressed

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Cocular, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Cocular

Cocular Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just bought my new prius prime plus 2019 yesterday. Today I find that there is a weird motor sound when the brake pad is depressed before I touch the start button. This sound lasts for about 2 seconds. Is this normal? From Whirling sound at start-up | PriusChat, some people say this noise is from the brake booster pump. Not sure if this is my case.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, electric pump motor, no worries.

prius makes lots of funny sounds you are not used to, both running and parked. you'll get accustomed.

3. Cocular

Cocular Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am a little worried about this because I did not hear it yesterday when I do the test drive. So does that mean every Prius Prime has the electric pump motor sound before startup?

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm quite sure that's your case. I'd be very concerned if it didn't make that noise. No hydraulic pressure would be bad. Remember, your car has no belts whatsoever. Brakes, steering, air conditioner, coolant pumps, all driven by electric motors so they are available when the gas engine (ICE) is not running.

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every Prius has it, not just Prime. It doesn't pump all the time. Only when the pressure switch tells it to pump. If you open the door and the car happens to have sufficient pressure, there's no reason for it to pump.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's easy to be distracted by sales weasels during test drives, along with all there is to take in with a completely new car.
    there should be a section in your o/m regarding sounds.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Page 88 in my manual. Note: "Engine" and "Motor" are not equivalent. ;)

bisco likes this.
  8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your Prius will make different sounds. Even sometimes 10 minutes after you have parked. No worries. Welcome to Hybrid country!

9. Cocular

Cocular Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for all the answers! I think I just need to get used to the electronic pump sound! Last question, how frequently does your brake pump start? Today I drove my car for about 10 miles in EV mode and I found the electronic pump would start every other time after I heavily depressed the brake. Does that frequency sound right to you?

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds fine. It will depend on how much you use your brakes. Keep in mind that heavy braking is the absolute best way to ruin your fuel or battery efficiency. It's worse than rapid acceleration.

11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cocular, it is common for the new Prius driver to experience a different driving experience from other cars. The Prius is really a computer. The Pruis is trained to react to the driver each time you drive, and its goal is to get you the best gas mileage each time you drive. So, if you brake more often one day, it will compensate, if you drive 100 miles on a straight highway another day, it will compensate. And sometime in the future, you are going to drive over a large bump, or a pot hole or a slick surface..............and when that happens, your car will beep, make a buzzing noise, and a yellow triangle will briefly flash on your dash. This is common also. Your traction system is simply modifying to the conditions. So, keep checking in here with us all! We have experienced the new, different life of owning a hybrid.