1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

motor starts and surges randomly

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CWM, Nov 6, 2018.

1. CWM

CWM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 Prius gas motor starts whether the car is moving or not 10 seconds or so after the Ready light is displayed on the dash. Is this normal?
    Stopped at an intersection, with full battery indicated, foot firmly on brake, the gas motor will start, sometimes surging from approx 1500 - 1800 or so rpm.
    Sometimes the brown arrows from the gas engine icon will move towards the front wheels - even though the car is not moving, in Park, and the e brake on.

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The car is likely doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. If you have no warning lights lit up, continue to drive it.

The arrows on the hybrid system indicator show where the power can flow, not necessarily where it is flowing.

Drive it and enjoy it. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. There is a lot of information to be shared and learned right here.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems normal to me... The limit of the system is #1 a cold engine that has to run long enough to be warm enough to turn itself off and #2) using your AC or heater fan or lots of other accessories creates a scenario that the engine runs to ensure the car is optimized for high MPG... But quite frankly if I had a 100 dollars every time I tried to shut everything off to get the engine to STFU while sitting at a red light I'd be able to afford giving up my Prius for a Tesla by now.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long have you owned it?

what mpg's are you getting?

test the 12v health

how many miles on her?

have you cleaned the egr?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing I have noticed, if the front defrost button is on, the ICE will start within 5 seconds of hitting the power button, regardless of coolant temperature.