1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motor Trend first drive of the Volt

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by adrianblack, Oct 11, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah I know that but why the hate of Premium. I am assuming Premium is our 95 - your 91? Our 92 ron unleaded (your 88) was killed off years ago and I don't think it ever made it in the UK.

In some way I see where you're coming from though, as some cars here only use Super (98 ron) and are non too popular either. Though super unleaded costs about £1.21 a litre ($1.94 a liter or $7.37 US gallon). :eek:

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Absolutely. But I have long-thought the BMW mini overpriced/overhyped anyway. Detroit can make a 305 horsepower engine run on regular grade and motivate a heavy Mustang while getting 31 mpg on the highway.

The problem with the Smart car is that it fails in all areas. It is slow, it is unsafe, it has no cargo capacity, its mileage is poor, and it is not even inexpensive. And these are not subjective opinions; they are demonstrable fact. It is certainly one of the best examples in modern society of people buying image rather than substance, because that's all it has; the image of a modest car offering mere functional transportation. And yet when compared against other vehicles like the Yaris, Fit, Versa it is not competitive. So the few people who do buy Smart (and thankfully most people know better, which is why Smart is up against a wall right now with sales and can't sucker enough people into its showrooms) are buying it for whatever image they think it projects that they find desirable.

Interestingly, Smart has now made an agreement with Nissan to sell a rebadged four seater nissan with the smart brand. I think that says a lot about their offering.

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But it wasn't designed for the US. It was designed for Europe, for narrow streets and where parking is at a premium and where fuel is expensive. That's probably why it wasn't sold in the US until the car had been out for nearly 10 years.

The Smart is at home in the narrow streets over here and we accept that whilst it is fun and 'nippy' to drive in the city, it will be compromised on the open road.

Another car which you will probably be getting shortly, though will probably not appreciate because it is so similar to the Smart is the Toyota (or Scion) IQ. My girlfriend has just bought one of these and absolutely loves it. It has economy close to the Prius and is easy to drive, is happy at 60 mph on the highway and will turn on a sixpence (which is very small and I mean VERY small). You can park it pretty much anywhere and it squeezes through the tightest of gaps. Down sides - it is very very tiny, is a 2+2 seater OR 2 seater with a boot/trunk and sounds a bit odd as its 1 litre engine is a 3 pot. Will have to post some pics of it on here soon.

4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, the Smart can make sense in Europe. In the US it makes none that I can tell.

The Scion IQ is strange, it looks like a miniaturized large car--like a charicature. I'll reserve judgement until I see its price, gas economy, performance, capacity, safety, etc. I can hardly believe a production US car will actually look like this, though. It's like a prototype at a car show that didn't get nixed by a "benign" design department for production:
    Scion iQ Coming By Early 2011 - Scion new small car plans - Motor Trend Auto News

Perhaps the Scion could be what the smart should be :)

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While all gasoline is cheap in the U.S., premium is noticeably more expensive. I believe that is the origin of the "premium hate", as you describe it. Most people don't want to pay more for something that gives no visible benefit. People in the U.S. are largely bargain hunters, and will pay more in the long term to get a good deal up front. If you need an example, look at the way we buy cell phones.

Tom

7. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is UK-centric, I don't know what happened in continental Europe.

Historically, we had high levels of lead in petrol: most cars used 'four-star', about 98 RON. The number of stars indicated the octane number and ranged from one (can't find a reference, but presumably 89 RON) up to five (101 RON) in 3 RON steps; three-star was 95 RON. If your engine was knocking you could go up another step, when pumps allowed you to select the mix you wanted. These pumps were more complex, though, and harder to control the actual mix delivered, and were typically replaced with two pumps offering two-star and four-star, for low- and high-compression engines respectively.

When 95 RON unleaded was introduced, to go with catalytic converters, it replaced two-star as a compromise - filling stations didn't have to replace all their equipment, cars needing two-star didn't need to be adjusted, four-star cars only needed a little adjustment. Leaded wasn't banned for quite a while after the introduction of unleaded, and four-star continued to be sold. However, quite a lot of people had the timing adjusted to run 95 RON rather than 98, and four-star died out relatively quickly.

I do recall from holidays in Denmark at the end of the 80s that they had unleaded before we did; my parents converted our 1986 Ford Orion in around 1988 I think, then the 1990 Orion had a catalytic converter and was designed for 95 RON unleaded.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah very interesting Mike, but why does Europe need higher octane ratings?

I remember when unleaded came along and it was 95 ron octane and I used to run my old Datsun on it. A few years later on 98 octane unleaded turned up whilst running along side leaded petrol.

But why did Europe chose 95 ron (91 usa) unleaded in the mid 1980's when the US had had unleaded for about 15 years already? Why not just use the same octane rating and set a common standard?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I guess I should be thankful I don't live in the US then... otherwise I might've taken what you said as an insult ;). I guess that also means I never actually drove across the country in my smart with a passenger and all my stuff in the back because I would've been killed and I would've had to leave all my belongings behind.

We have both 87 and 89 (mid-grade).... as well as 94 (so.. that's probably your 98?).

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've seen the premium hate here. A friend of mine complains about the 10% ethonal reducing performance in his Camry, but won't try going up to the midgrade. Even though it is the recommended fuel for the V6.

It even keeps people from properly judging a car. They see premium and automaticly discount it. Most modern cars with a premium fuel engine don't require it. My parents have only put regular into their 2004 Acura TL for 100k miles, and still got 30+ mpg on the highway. The Smart can run on regular. The Volt likely does too. Premium just lets them eke out a little more preformance and/or efficiency.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You do bring up a point about "Premium Recommended" and "Premium Required"....

Those with "recommended" can run on regular although depending on the car (and the cost of fuel in your area), it actually makes no difference in the sense that the lose of hp and increased fuel economy offsets the extra cost of 91 vs. 87.

12. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Something for the UK people to think about: Even though California has fuel between 87 and 91 AKI (which is like 91 to 95 RON) we have all the exotic supercars which call for 98 in Europe but work perfectly well with our 91 here. Porsches, Audi S models, BMW M cars, Veron, etc etc. Some places in North America have as high as 95 AKI fuel but since it's not consistent no car is designed for more than 91.

My last car was a Mazda Protege MP3 and it said "Premium Recommended" ... and I could never notice any difference at all between 87 and 91, so I used 87. With my laptop connected, I could do full throttle runs in 3rd gear and any engine knock could easily be seen in the timing which would get pulled back. No such problems ... ever. Had that car for 9 years. Like ShellyT said, cars have knock sensors for a reason... A turbo car is the one to most likely loose power with regular gas because of the timing reductions.

I would personally only run premium on high boost turbo cars mapped for 91 like the Mazdaspeed 3 (MPS) EVO MR, WRX STi and similar..... They need all the help they can get.

My Prius gets 87 as does my Honda CB1000 motorcycle.

The price difference may only be 20-30 cents between 87 to 91 but that could add up to thousands of dollars over the life of the car. It's all part of TCO.

13. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would love to see official research done on this, but I am highly skeptical there would be any change in fuel economy between 91 and 87 on any car.

On roads trips I've taken with cars with Premium Recommended we never saw any difference between the two grades. (Infiniti G37, Acura TSX and my old Mazda Protrege)

Some cars, even those that recommend regular fuel can learn to use more advanced timing with premium fuel and you end up with a little more power due to more aggressive timing. Cars like the Honda Accord V6 are known to do this... But again I don't think any official studies have been done. Like take one car running on 87, measure HP, then drive 1000 miles on 91 and measure again to see if there is a power increase. Then go back to 87 and drive another 1000 miles and see if the original numbers return.

I wish there was a OBD-II parameter we could read to see if the car was adding timing on top of the base maps...... There are only fuel trim readings.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But Volt requires premium fuel. Here is why. "Interesting" engineering challenges that could have been avoided.

15. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I call shenanigans on both of their claims.

No test (I am aware of) shows the shelf life of premium is longer than regular. There are so many factors that determine how long gasoline lasts including water contamination, MTBE additives and ethanol content.

To anyone who has modified your car with intakes and exhaust, have you noticed an improvement in mileage? I put a cold air intake on my last car which added about 10 hp on the dyno (bringing the car to a mere 118hp from 108!) and yet there was no noticeable mileage increase. The part throttle power increase is so minuscule that it makes no difference. There is no way a couple of HP difference from high octant gas would offset the cost of premium fuel.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They weren't doing it for more power. If I recall it was for more MPG. Make the car look better on paper and let the owners pay premium.

I don't know if I buy that either since Prius was designed to get the best MPG with regular gas.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No official studies... just what I've heard from the Acura forum... It's been a great debate but that's what I took from their discussion... at least for their vehicles.

Now for something like the ES vs. Camry (272hp vs. 268hp), I don't think there's a big difference btwn running 91 and 87 on the ES.

18. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you notice how neither it nor the original source mentioned how many times it was plugged in? Not knowing that makes the 127 mpg value rather arbitrary.

Hearing about the potential is great, but only long-term tests will reflect the ownership experience. 299 miles isn't even a full week of driving for some of us. The ultimate test is heavy use of the heater & defroster in the dead of winter, which will have a big influence on both EV range and engine efficiency.

UPDATE: Turns out, the threshold in CS-mode is actually 30 mph.

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I already posted the MT numbers in the second post of this thread. Including how many times it was plugged in.