1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motorsport, is it OK for a Prius owner?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by patsparks, Mar 24, 2008.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the consequences of everything we do stayed in our own houses, I'd agree with you. But things just don't work that way.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So if your neighbours start a brothel or crack house or a crack lab, as long as they keep it in doors your fine with that?

If a neighbour doesn't really like you but invites you over for a beer then shoots you in his kitchen, that should be legal too hey?

Laws are not about "rights violations" a lack of laws is about rights violations. If we had no laws put in place by democratically elected representatives we would live by someone Else's rules and last time I looked into gang rule there wasn't much respect for individuals rights.

There are laws about what you can do in your home, and a lot seem like they are no ones business. If you want to modify the wiring in your home are you free to do it even if your not qualified? How about if you can't be bothered doing it to code? When you buy an appliance for use in the home I bet it needs to have some sort of certification to be sold? Why cant a shop sell you uncertified stuff? It in their shop, what has it got to do with anyone else?

We already have emission laws for cars and those laws cleaned up the air in cities. As I breath air I have no problem with emissions limiting legislation for homes or businesses, even if those emissions are created miles away at a power station. If you feel using CF lights will reduce your consumption too much, just run an electric radiant heater on the porch each day.:deadhorse:

3. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What rights violations! You have a right to own a truck and so do I. But we don't have the right to drive it. The State gives us the privelege to do so, but can revoke it any time we violate certain laws.

You call the law about banning incandescent bulbs a violation of your rights to do anything in you house that you want. In this case, people who use incandescent bulbs rather than fluorescent bulbs are using more fossil fuel than is necessary and making the gas bill on my Expedition higher than it needs to be. So, for the benefit of everyone who wants to drive trucks and anything else that uses fossil fuel, I think its a great idea to ban incandescent bulbs. Do you have a right to use them, no you don't because there is a law that says that someday you can't. Maybe thats taking rights away, but I think that it is a thoughtful action on the part of our elected officials to help us though a long-term energy crisis. Its about time! Europeans have forsaken incandescent lamps almost 20 years ago because they saw that the energy crisis wasn't going away. Its about time the U.S. realized it. So, please buy some compact fluorescent bulbs so that I can still use my Expedition to take my kids on camping trips next year and for years after that. In the mean time, I'll use my Prius for day to day trips and save loads of gas so that you can use your truck.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, the only 'rights' that exist in the U.S. are those specifically provided for in the U.S. Constitution as amended. Everything else is a privilege that can be revoked.

5. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree, but I did not want to add gasoline to the burning embers that were started.