1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MotorTrend - Prius Coupe coming

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

It looks like MT's "artists" have gotten bored and want to start a rumor based on a picture of their own making. Nonetheless, MotorTrend is reporting that a Prius coupe will be coming to combat the upcoming Honda CR-Z hybrid coupe.

Toyota Prius Coupe Preview - Toyota Developing Range of Prius Vehicles - Motor Trend

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ofcourse its fake! but O man do i want this 2 doors prius!
    i like it!

3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically that would be like having a hybrid version of the Scion tC. I LIKE! :D

But the clown nose I DON'T LIKE. :p

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that I think about it, this car really makes sense. The Prius Coupe would appeal to another market sector, yet would make use of a large number of existing Toyota hybrid components. I hope Toyota does this..

Keith

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't it be lovely!!
    What a great way to get the Prius into the hands of people who want a sportier car but don't want to spend a fortune commuting.
    You are dead right Tech Guy, a whole new market for Prius and the more there are the cheaper the technology gets per unit!!

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bring back Celica as a hybrid.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

blah, saying 2010 will use "carry over" battery technology is like to say that new 1.8 ZR engine line up carry over from 1900's, because they both use petrol fuel :).

Problem with "news" like that is that while they might get something right, they always get something wrong, so at the end it is really hard to trust them

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2 doors does not a sporting car make. Hopefully Toyota will spend a little bit of time tuning the suspension to make a car that handles decently. It would be nice if they they could just bring it up to to average handling. Toyota wasn't very successful with the Solara mainly because the Solara handles as poorly as the Prius. Not what people want in a sporty car.

The "clown nose" is from the official Toyota pictures of the 3rd generation Prius. Like it our not, that is the new look for the Prius front end.

I'm not personally interested in a coupe but there might be a market out there if Toyota doesn't screw it up.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota does have a cheap RWD sports car coming so I'm not sure if they'll be making a Prius coupe... unless it's under the Prius brand. I don't know if Toyota will make two coupes esp. since they've been killing all (except the tC... the Solara has been extended til 2011) their sports coupe.

10. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Smart move by Toyota to make a Prius a little more sporty looking by offering a coupe. I've talked to quite a few prospective buyers that were primarily turned off by the general appearance of the Prius. The word Dorkmobile comes to mind.

11. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I would be interested in a two door Prius, only if it had somewhat of a usable backseat.

12. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Without any official source to back up my thought, I believe the Prius was designed for the professional commuter in mind. The commuter that's likely to carpool with other people. I believe evidence in this is the spacious legroom in the back. You truly can comfortably carry 4 professional adults to the office. I had 3 of my colleagues join me for lunch today and once again the commented on the room in the back with the front seats all the way back.

I just hope now that they're broadening the appeal of the car that they lose sight of the importance of having a roomy interior for 4 adults. I'd hate to see them get rid of the rear doors then one day shorten the platform (to lighten it up) and crap 4 doors on a 2 door platform. I'm already patiently waiting for the redesign to see what they did with the interior space. It already looks more cramped in the front due to the dash design.

13. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My thoughts exactly! I agree with both of you.

14. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great but where is the Hybrid X? Come on Toyota, lets go, its time to upgrade!

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why do chicken coupes have two doors? Otherwise they would be chicken sedans.

Tom

16. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it is tragic, but not totally unexpected that the first thing assumed about the coupe is that it would be "lighter and faster"... what about better fuel economy???

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They don't or at least my grandfather's didn't. His chicken COOP had about 18 doors as the 4 sides were made entirely of recycled wooden doors.

19. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You mean like "the seats all fold down neat and you can still get a wardrobe in the back.." usable back seats ?

or perhaps "just big enough to put in 2 small grand kids" usable back seats ?

I'd just take the 2 front seats thanks and have a bigger space at the rear for MORE BATTERIES !!!:cheer2:

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's why it was a COOP and not a COUPE. ;)

Tom