1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motorway mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Roo., Jan 18, 2018.

1. Roo.

Roo. New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost convinced myself to get a Prius but one thing holding me back is worries about fuel economy for my driving. The Prius will be used for my daily commute which is a 90 mile round trip, almost all on the motorway. Currently I drive a diesel i30 and manage around 60mpg (slightly lower at the moment due to cold weather). I test drove a Prius last week and got a reading of 63mpg on a motorway stretch - I was rather impressed! The car only had 50 miles on the clock so I was hoping after engine break in that may even improve. However almost everything I find online suggests I will be doing well to get 50-55mpg on the motorway in the Prius. What are your experiences? Was my test drive a total fluke?

pilotgrrl likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume that's normal MPG (not USA galleons?).

I did a longer run the other day - 275km return, but it was quite congested one direction, so a lot was slower, and I got 80(UK)MPG, using RADAR Cruise the whole way and back, and that included going through the city on the return.

I do a 25km commute (plus return) 3 or 4 times a week, and get between 68 and 72(UK)MPG. But if I'm just puddling around my suburb with little short intervals between stops at various shops etc, it might get down below 60(UK)MPG.

I had a FIESTA Diesel (Manual) before this - and it averaged 59.7(UK)MPG over 60,000km - and PRIUS is appreciably bigger.

Prior to that, I had a FOCUS Diesel (2litre Manual) which averaged 52MPG over 60,000km. My commutes in all 3 cars are similar, and I guess my driving is too.

My average over 25,000km is 68.2(UK)MPG in the PRIUS - with 15" rims.

3. Roo.

Roo. New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now realising I've been quite daft without realising it. Did not realise there was a difference between US and UK mpg - doh! Most of what I've read has been US based, and having just done a quick Google I have now learned that 55(US)MPG = 66(UK)MPG which broadly fits with both my test drive experience and what you've described.

Thank you!

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your cruising speed on the motorway will be crucial to the fuel consumption. Best economical speed is 50-55mph. Over that and it will impact on the mileage. I cruise the M5 at 70mph an get around 55-60mpg, but going faster than that and it falls off dramatically. I would say, you won't be disappointed if you keep it under 71mph.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Roo.

Roo. New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds similar to my current diesel - thank you

6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it might be a bit quieter than the diesel, but your mileage does improve if you learn to lift your right foot whenever possible. You don't get the same engine braking in a Prius as strongly as you get now. I still use the heavy boot occasionally for fun, but it only pulls the mpg down for a while and is not a major impact on fuel.
    Edit: Unless you do it all the time!

#6 RCO, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A light touch on the brake uses regenerative braking to use the stopping energy to recharge the battery rather than converting to heat.
    A harder touch activates the normal friction brakes.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's all about speed, not which road you are on. it is possible that the prius won't be quite as good as a diesel, depending on the diesel.
    also, the prius gauge is optimistic, and you will find the calculation at the pump a bit disappointing.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was trying to differentiate between the ICE drag and the Prius drag on lifting off the accelerator, not involve regeneration.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    A 240 mile round trip on mostly motorways last spring showed me 66 mpg on the trip. Cruise was set to 77 mph (to allow for the 10% built in speedo error), most of the way, with the exception of a couple of 50 mph road works with average speed cameras where I set it to 55 mph.
    As RCO says above the lower the cruising speed the better the mpg. I'm pretty sure if I had travelled the whole journey at 55 mph :sleep: I'd have seen well over 70 mpg on the trip (just before I fell asleep). I've done 90 mile journeys to the coast, wholly on A roads, keeping up with the traffic and speed limits and seen around 80 mpg on the trip.

RCO likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You old enough to nap at the wheel??? :ROFLMAO:

kithmo likes this.
  12. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Yes, 65 in April, I find the Gen 4 is so easy and less stressful to drive that I have to prop my eyelids up with matchsticks so's I don't fall asleep at lower speeds (don't you just love adaptive cruise and LKA when you're asleep) :whistle::LOL::p

jerrymildred, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, we do not have LKA (Lane Keep Assist). Toyota replaced it with the less capable LDA (Lane Departure Alert). I believe that may be true for you too. Some older Prius models had LKA.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    My bad, LDA wakes me up enough though.;)

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    THIS.
    And the MPG shown by the onboard computer usually isn't accurate; it usually err's a bit on the high side.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The accuracy, while potentially beneficial, it is not as useful as the variation in averages - however measured - so long as the measurement equipment is a constant.

kithmo likes this.
  17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Mine seems to be consistently 5 mpg out on the trip compared to tank to tank calculated mpg.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The one tank I calculated, the car was about 10% high.

#18 Prodigyplace, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    kithmo likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's too kind. More like "invariably biased".

kithmo and RCO like this.
  20. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think they all err on the optimistic side (KIA and FORD were similar) - it's a calculated figure from various inputs. Mine has varied between 4 and 8%.