1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mount 17" Wheels? Firestone said absolutely not.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RatedN, May 18, 2008.

1. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found a deal on eBay for 17" Scion Tc rims with relatively new tires plus TPMS sensors for $255 + $150 shipping. I patiently waited for them to be delivered and when they came, I looked up the closest tire shop for mounting which happened to be a Firestone shop. I called ahead with the specifics of what I wanted done and they quoted me $40 to mount, balance and transfer my TPMS sensors. An hour after I dropped the car off, I got a call from a service rep. Excited, I thought they were going to tell me they finished the job. Nope, they explained that they called Toyota (why, I have no idea) and Toyota highly discourages mounting wheels bigger than stock. I politely questioned the validity of the recommendation and they emphasized that Toyota said it could damage the hybrid components. I asked one more time if there was anyway they would do it, as I knew others including dealers had done this, but for liability reasons, they said absolutely not. I didn't push the issue further after hearing the word liability and took it down the road to an NTB and they did it without question.

I have read other threads on here of people's experiences with Firestone and hybrids and it bewilders me to think that a national auto care shop in today's day in age refuses or is incapable of touching non-hybrid components of a hybrid vehicle. Granted, I would never let Firestone or anyone other than Toyota touch anything having to do with the HSD, but these were just rims, tires and a commonly found TPMS.

On the other side of this, I have no idea if they called a local dealer or if they consulted with a nation-wide knowledge base, but has anyone else been denied service to mount larger than stock wheels?

Anyways, here's the result. Looks fine to me : ) I've ridden on them for 100 miles with no problems and have been able to keep 55MPG (with a very marginal increase in hypermiling) so far.

[​IMG]

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why does this surprise you? They want to eliminate the possibility of being sued for causing an accident, or damaging the vehicle. Even if they are not to blame, the cost to settle or take these cases to court exceeds the amount of lost revenue from refused sales. In today's litigious society, many companies even refuse to mount tires that do not exactly match a size offered from the factory, even though it would seem to be perfectly safe. Costco wouldn't even put 195/60-15 tires on my Prius.

3. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats a great picture. Your car looks really good with those wheels.

4. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy they look nice, I don't even have my car yet and I want them...

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's a great look!

I'm curious about your statement you've been able to keep 55MPG even with these larger wheels. What was your mileage on 15" wheels? What is your normal driving? What is your climate?

6. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was not surprised that they refused after explaining that it was for liability reasons. I didn't push any further after they mentioned the word. There is liability in working with any other car too, but they are prepared for it. I was surprised that they are not prepared to work on a Prius or any other hybrid considering how many are on the road now. The hybrids may have been exotic 4 years ago, but they certainly aren't now. I can't drive a day in Houston without seeing several.

7. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Houston is quite warm averaging 70-90 degrees during the day right now. It will be close to 100 degrees if not higher in a month or so. Houston is also very flat. The only hills here are artificial ones.

I was getting about 55-60MPG on the stock 15" with mixed city/highway driving. On the 100 miles that I have driven on the 17", I have avoided the highway completely (which is hard in Houston) and I've marginally increased P&G. I'm getting 55MPG (53-57MPG fluctuation) now, but we'll see how long I can keep it up. I have found that it's not much more difficult building up the mileage, but it definitely drops faster during acceleration or constant speeds.

I will definitely give an update after the tank is done.

8. Huntceet

Huntceet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just being curious. What is your tire rev per mile with the 17's?

9. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The car does look great with the TC's wheels, although I also find it odd that you are able to get 55 MPG with that setup. I have read about different people on here getting the TC wheels and then loosing on average about 5-10 MPG because of the weight and lack of low rolling resistance tires. I guess you are doing something right!

10. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not quite sure how to calculate that.

11. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am losing mileage, but it wasn't the 50MPG or below that I was expecting (as I read from some as well). I stored my old tires and rims just in case it didn't work out, but so far I'm fairly content. I definitely am not hitting 60MPG anymore, but I haven't dropped below 53MPG.

Once the tank is up, I'll give an update to see if it's possible to maintain mid-50's MPG with these size wheels. I'm crossing my fingers, 'cause I sure do love the way they look.

12. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They sure do, I'm thinking about getting them, but would like to hear more about your experience with them. Looks like you got a pretty good price on them too.

13. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A few years back I had a Neon that a tire place refused to put slightly wider than stock tires on even though that size was on the car at the time. I told them they were loosing a sale and it didn't bother them.

I drove around the corner to Pep Boys and had the tires put on. The subject didn't even come up there.

14. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    185/65R15 = 824revs/mile
    215/45R17 = 819revs/mile

So, the rpm is very slightly lower (0.6%) than stock and the odometer and speedometer will be off (low) by the same amount.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You likely have better temps and a better commute than others. Many people have problems getting 50mpg with the stock setup. Then they add wheels and drop down into the low-mid 40s. If you were getting high 50s or more and now you are at mid-low 50s then I'd say your milage drop is on par with what everyone else sees when they slap on heavy wheels and sticky tires.

16. pappyt

pappyt Junior Member

well, toyota.com has a 17" and 18" wheel option. they was probably worried about something going wrong if they installed it

17. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Are you saying that at toyota.com you can choose to have 17 or 18 inch wheels on a Prius?

18. ursle1

ursle1 Realist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Overall diameter is all that matters, you finally posted your tire size for the 17's
    the 15" wheels are 24.4 overall, the 17's are 24.6, so there is very little difference
    if it were an inch difference you might have some issues, the only problem you might have had but obviously didn't would be that the 17's would not clear your brake calipers
    the 15's were lighter so now you're pushing more weight, the 17's will ride rougher and handle better, hopefully, if the rubber is any good
    the firestone guy was just yanking your chain,

19. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry to bump this back up, but thought I'd throw in an update on keeping up mileage with 17" wheels.

The end result was 54.6MPG at 527miles. Manual calculations came out to 54MPG. I kept the tires at 40psi all around and the weather was a consistent 75-95 degrees. Considering that I eventually had to take the freeway, let my non-hybrid driving brother borrow my car to haul 50lbs of crawfish no less, and had to blast the A/C with 4 coworkers in the car during this tank, I'm fairly content with the mileage.

When all was done and said, I didn't really P&G much more than before. Houston drivers are quite aggressive so I really only P&G as much as I could before it got annoying to drivers behind me. Though, it did feel like if I hypermilled to an annoying level, 60MPG+ is not out of the question.

I love how my Prius looks with those wheels. The aesthetics seem more balanced now as opposed to before where, to me, it looked like the car was riding on tiny roller skate wheels. There is a slight compromise with ride quality, but the handling has increased greatly. The car points with much more intent now. So if anyone who is achieving mileage in the 50s and is considering bigger wheels, it is possible to keep mileage high without too much extra effort.

Thanks again for the compliments, btw!

Below is the final screen rolling into the gas station. Sorry for the terrible image quality, I took it with the camera on my phone.

[​IMG]

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the numbers! It is tough to pull that off IMO. So keep us posted on future tanks. I think we agreed you are losing about 4-6mpg vs the stock wheels right? If you can maintain at least 52mpg with the current setup then it is worth the sacrifice IMO. :) I couldn't even get back up to 50mpg with my 17s and that is with them pumped up to 68psi (55psi max). lol