1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mountain MGP

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Tylor Owens, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Tylor Owens

Tylor Owens New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I will be traveling in the Smokey Mountains for work over the next three weeks. Anyone in similar topography have any idea of the MPG I should be expecting and how the C handles some of the larger inclines? I am considering taking my wife's Honda but reallllly want to take my new Prius (especially since I get paid expenses by the mile).

Thanks!

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Better than your wife's Honda... that should be all you need to know.

3. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well from what research I've seen, be sure to put the car into "B" mode instead of just coasting down those hills, it stops the car from over charging the battery by using the engine as a brake (or at least that's the impression I've gotten from reading on here..)

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Only on the downhills that are extremely long and steep.

5. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The firmware will not let the battery overcharge. Using your brakes will accomplish the same thing as 'B'. If the battery is fully charged, the hydraulics will take over the braking chores.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  6. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What's MGP?

It's fine. I drove to Big Bear over the winter camp with no problem and got around 60 MPG.

7. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you know the hill will fully charge the battery even in B mode, I'd think it's best to use B for an even amount of engine braking and regen, as opposed to recharging to the point of the ICE revving, then relying solely on engine brake and possibly friction brake.

8. Tylor Owens

Tylor Owens New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    MGP is auto-correct's idea of a good guess.

I hope to get 60 a gallon on this trip, lots if inclines assisted by lots of declines.

9. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I live on a hill across a valley 9.2 miles from the parking lot of the USMC base theater. I learned using the Google Earth App there is a 1028 ft. downhill drive to the movie. Over 40 trips to the base I average 118 MPG. Driving uphill home, I have been averaging 54.2 MPG. The Prius C gets fantastic MPG going downhill. Where I get my worst MPG is short distance trips on flat ground or long hill slopes...

10. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius C does really well in mountains. When I drove to Florida in it shortly after we got it, we went right through West Virginia. I drove like a Semi. I slowed slightly up the mountain, coasted down. If it was particularly steep I stuck it in B. Some of my best mileage from the trip was my stint through WVa. Not what I expected.

11. Tylor Owens

Tylor Owens New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Well, I just got back from my first overnight trip to the mountains from work. I am happy to say, I had no issues keeping up with traffic on very steep grades and my average mileage for the trip (about 650 miles round trip) was about 49 mpg, which was spot on my regular average.

12. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just did that. Running Gatlingburg to Cherokee and back at a average speed just under 60 mph netted 43 mpg. Yes, run at nite and without the dreaded RV's. Lord help you if you get in one of those 'trains'. The Honda will be faster unless its in a train. You can take the side trip to Clingman's Dome. great at daybreak or sundown.
    BTW if you come from the NC side jusdt wait'll you experience the I40 climb to Ashville. Check that mpg at the speed limits.