1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mounting a Magellan 700

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mehrenst, Oct 21, 2005.

1. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got a Magellan 700 and frankly while the unit is great, I'm not real thrilled with the windshield suction cup mounting approach. The unit bounces around too much during driving and can be distracting. :blink:

I was thinking of locating the Magellan between the center console and the storage/cup holders between the seats.

Has anyone had any experience in tryng to mount something to the plastic cover area below the center "electronics" stack? The surface is too rough to allow the suction cup to be used and I'm not sure I want to try to mount the unit using a floor stalk type of mounting. I was thinking something that would attach to the plastic panel and support the Magellan in that open space.

Has anyone run across and tried a suction cup/windshield mount that is rigid and doesn't allow the bounce?

Thanks.

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Give MobileCX a look over. Maybe they have somthing that will work for you. I use their window suction for my Meridian Color. It holds much better than the Magellan window mount. However, in the Prius, it really sits too far away because of the window design.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a Pioneer xm2go which came with a variety of mounting devices. One was a swivel base with adhesive. I put in on the plastic cover in the center below the dash and it worked quite well....until it got too hot and the adhesive came off. :blink:

Since I didn't want to use screws, I ended up putting velcro where the adhesive was and put it on the floor in front of the lower drawer. Of course that's not a map so that won't work. Maybe there's a way to secure it next to that tiny window on the left of the driver, on the dash itself. Hopefully it wouldn't wobble there.

4. legendsguy

legendsguy New Member

I have the magellen and it's connected with a windshield suction cup. I haven't had any problems with it moving. I would think you might have a problem with the anntenna picking up the signal if you mount it on the floor. Possibly ordering a replacement suction cup would work??

5. mhiatt

mhiatt New Member

I recently added a Garmin StreetPilot to my Prius. Great unit. Anyway, it took me a couple days to decide where I wanted to mount it. I dont like things like this on the dash or windshield. They call too much attention and are begging to be stolen. I am too lazy to get it out and put it up there everytime i want to use it. Besides, I like to have it on all the time. It's fun to see what's around me. So I decided the area in front of the center console would work, but needed to figure a way to mount it there. The included mounts just wouldnt work. Earlier in the year I had discovered how to work with Acrylic. It's a great material. Cuts almost like wood, glues with a drip bottle (bonds), and looks very sharp. I had some 1/4" smoked scrap left over from a project and built a small pedistal. The unit sits on top the pedistal and the pedistal is velcro'd to the plastic - see picture. Works perfect and the power adapter was right there. The only disadvantage of this location is the signal strength. My unit could still get reception but it was weaker and would drop from time to time. The easy solution was to spend another $65.00 (online price) to get the external antenna. It took only minutes to install. I simply removed the lower glove box (takes 30 seconds and no tools) and threaded the cable up under the center dash (behind the pedistal), up behind the glove box (securing with some ties), and mounted at the very front of the dash (inside the car). Reception is perfect (5/5 bars usually) and the micro antenna style is virtually invisible, especially to people walking by the car. The unit being down in front of the center console is easy to see and reach. Plus, the hidden center console drawer is not inhibited by the mount. So, this was my way of not purchasing the built in NAV and saving some $$$. Plus, the extra benefit is that I have two screens for information. One with my NAV and the other with my XM stations. I would be happy to take more pictures if anyone wants more detail. :).

Attached Files:

6. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhiatt @ Oct 22 2005, 09:52 AM) [snapback]144068[/snapback]</div>
    Please do show more pictures of how you did it. Just picked up a Magellan 800 today and immediately was stumped in how to mount it. As we all know our beloved Prius's lack in smooth surfaces.

Your idea intrigues me. Please shaw closeups (if convenient for you) and step by step how you rewired it.

Now, I agree its less noticable to passerbys but you can, if you choose to, remove it and use in another car, correct?

Thanks, I look forward to seeing your next post.

Roger3125

7. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Jun 10 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]269370[/snapback]</div>
    Nevermind. I figured it out. For those who had trouble as I had I will offer what I figured out. First that suction cup is very strong. If it doesn't release you can use a plastic scraper to slip underneath the rubber to give it some help. Second that solid looking arm on the holder does bend.

After trying all different places I finally realized it would fit very snugly and convenienty to the right of the drivers slit window. Not very handy for a passenger but perfect for the driver.

Anyway after finally putting together (which is a sanp), setting up, stretching to pat myself on the back my wife convinces me to return it.

So if you don't mind waiting we will talk again about this after Christmas.

Good luck all
    Roger3125

8. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhiatt @ Oct 22 2005, 11:52 AM) [snapback]144068[/snapback]</div>
    Nice solution. I want to post pictures of my suction cup attachment to the "front" of the front cup holder when open, but I can not get my attachments to upload to this site. How did you get the pictures to upload?

9. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Jun 11 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]269628[/snapback]</div>

I still can not get an image to attache to a message...

There is a smooth surface on the covers of the cup holders in the center console. The garmin nuvi 350 has a small suction cup that just fits on the smooth surface of the front cupholder. Once you get the suction cup to hold to the smooth surface of the cup holder cover, open the cup holder. The suction cup mount is not on the front of the console. Pivot the mounting arm upward and as far toward the console and the cup holder opening. The mount for the Garmin Nuvi will be immediatly above the finger opening of the cupholder and you can attach the Nuvi to it there. The width of the Nuvi is almost exactly the width of the console. The antenna opens to the front. The screen is perfectly placed for touchscreen input. It looks great.

You will need to use the power adapters that come with the Nuvi as generic miniusb power adapters will not allow you to use the Nuvi as it is charging. The Garmin supplied power adapters work perfectly.

As a bonus the Nuvi has a MP3 player. There is an audio out that works with the Aux In of the Prius. I recomment using a ground loop isolation filter between the Audio Out and the Aux In to eliminate some noise.

The new Nuvi 360 also has a bluetooth microphone and will work as a bluetooth handsfree speaker phone.

This is a great choice for Prius Cars without the bluetooth or nav system.

Lastly, the Nuvi has maps for the entire US and Canada built in using Flash Memory, no moving parts like a Hard Disk. This should be very reliable.

10. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Jun 11 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]269633[/snapback]</div>

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about installing a Panavise mounting bracket, and then mounting a cradle for your GPS onto the bracket? Or you could stick the suction disc on the bracket, or mount a swivel to the bracket, and then the cradle to the swivel mount. The possibilities are endless.

I used one of these to mount a PnP Sirius tuner in another car. I bought a low-profile swivel for it, but it turned out I had (barely) enough clearance without it.

[​IMG]

12. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Oct 21 2005, 02:18 PM) [snapback]143780[/snapback]</div>
    Megellan makes a dash mount also, order it from them direct at megellian.com, it sit on top of your dashboard, weighted so it does not move. Good Lucy