1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mounting amp and/or sub in storage box under cargo deck board

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mid jersey, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi

I've seen lots of threads on installing amps and subs to improve the stock audio performance, but in all cases, the amps have been mounted under the seats and the subs have been mounted in the cargo area on the deck board.

The 2012 Prius Three that I have comes with a handy box under the cargo area, next to the 12V battery. Has anyone used it to install the amp and/or sub? The advantages are that the components would be next to the power supply, and the cargo area would be fully usable. The main concerns are the ventilation and stability, since the storage box ("auxiliary box" as per Prius manual) is plastic and presumably vibrates a great deal more than the deck board.

On a different note, can anyone recommend a good audio installer in Monmouth County, NJ? I've used Ultimate Sound and Security in Keyport before, but they have not done any Prius installs before.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has been replied to in other threads, but I've been hunting for over a week and have not found any suitable response.

2. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran my amps in there for over 4yrs without a problem. I would would exercise caution with very high wattage amps. They may run very hot in hot weather and high volume. You can keep the deck lid propped open for better air circulation in that situation.

mid jersey likes this.
  4. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Joe, F8L
    Thanks for the prompt replies. Looks like the key work to search is "storage tray", not Toyota's "auxiliary box" :)

Good to know that others have gone down this path. Any recommendations for a sub that can fit in that tray? Its really slim....

5. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's going to depend on how expensive, how big. I mean most subwoofers are a certain size.

I can send you a Let Me Google That For You Link if you need it...

prius subwoofe - Google Search

How hard is it to google "prius subwoofer"

Here is a giant thread on this subject. .. Here is an 8" in the storage, but that is Gen II. Most other boxes are in custom cabinet boxes in the side of the trunk. I'm pretty sure Gen III can only fit the amps in the subfloor storage. But maybe there is more room. Make a cardboard box that fits in the area and take it to an audio store.

Also reddit.com/r/carav might be more helpful or an audiophile forum, but there are many posts on people who have added systems to their prius if you search.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mid jersey likes this.
  7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have my 300 watt amp (soon to be upgraded to 500w) mounted to the underside of the cover of the storage area. This allows me to still use the storage area better. I also used quick connects for everything so that I can still remove the tray cover easily if need be.

Also built a custom sub enclosure that fits in the cubby just above the 12v battery. May on here have.

mid jersey likes this.
  8. neilw

neilw Junior Member

I am pondering the same question, probably for a 300W class D amp (JL). If the amp is for fronts and/or rears in addition to the sub, then mounting in the trunk will require longer cable runs to those speakers, but I don't know how big an issue that is.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a JL 900/5 that I am planning to install soon. Installed some polks 6.5" in the rear door and have a custom sub enclosure in the rear. I plan to power the sub and the polks with the 900/5 and let the HU power the fronts (OEM in the doors and pioneers in the dash). That leaves just a short wire run for the rear speakers and the sub to the amp in the storage tray. The RCAs to the amp are long and may potentially pick up some RF noise.

10. fiftympg

fiftympg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had to make the same decision a few months ago. Ended up mounting the amp under the front seats for proper ventilation and to preserve the storage space in the plastic tray. Like others have said, you might be closer to the battery but you will end up extending RCA and speaker wires to the back.

I've had amps installed in the cargo trays of similar cars and I can tell you first hand the amps do get relatively warm buried in those compartments.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    spiderman, use quality quad shield RCAs and you will have no noise. ;) Shorter is still better though.

spiderman likes this.