1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mouse bedding in fresh air inlet

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rumpledoll, Apr 2, 2010.

1. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It hit the mid-70F's here in NJ and when the A/C came on I noticed a very slight, odd smell. When I removed the glove compartment to get at the cabin air filter, I found a nice big rodent/mouse nest. They had also nibbled through the cabin air filter leaving a nice hole in it.

I removed an amazing amount of bedding the critters had placed in the fresh air intake, and had to remove the windshield wipers and engine tray to get at the inlet from the engine side to remove the final bit of bedding.

While I had it all opened, I used metal mesh to seal off the fresh air intake from the critters so that they couldn't get in there again. I also used the same metal mesh to seal off the engine air intake to prevent them from getting underneath the engine air filter which they have not done on the Prius, but have done in my other car. I hate the damn things, mousetraps are now setup in the garage.

Rumple

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, that is really amazing. Probably don't have to worry about that up here but if I smell something, I will know where to check first. lol

3. thegreatll

thegreatll New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    post pics or it didn't happen :-x

4. tableround

tableround New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is how we purchased our used Prius for a cheap price. Dealer oversprayed cleaning solution and when asked said a test driver spilled their drink on the back seat and thus cleaning solution was used. However, shortly after purchasing the car there was an unusual smell. Our Prius Mouse ate through the air filter. Thankfully he has never returned - but he saved us a ton of money. $20 to replace the filter and have the system checked by a different Toyota dealership to ensure the mouse didn't ruin anything else while he was hiding "in there."
    Love to know what is on the filter that attracts mice.(?)

5. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oops, didn't get out the camera for this one!

6. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I had a mouse under the hood of my last car. Creeped me out! Can't stand the little buggers, but it could be worse...could be snakes.

7. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I hope they all got out before you sealed their exit. :eek:

8. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it weren't for the potential smell, I would aim for that outcome! Hate the little creatures. Muuuhahaha.

Rumple

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  10. DanMode

DanMode Brooklyn Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had this same exact problem happen to me the first time a few weeks back. I also noticed an 'odd' smell, and even more so, when the A/C was on, you heard the motor working harder, with less cool air output.

I take a look and was shocked to see the cabin filter with a nice, large hole through it. I went to my dealer to have them clean out the blower intake and such, and they told me "Yeah, this things happens more often then you think". First time for me, though. Hope it doesn't happen again.

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just FYI - there is a fresh air inlet in the two rear corners - they are under the bumper cover on each side. I believe they are accessible from the inside by removing the battery cover on one side, and other covers on the other side.

I I was a mouse, that's an easy point of entry - just has a flimsy rubber gasket that moves at the touch of your finger... I'm actually surprised enthusiastic car washers don't get water inside.

Easy to mouse proof though :D

That'd be my preferred location if I was a mouse...

12. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Warm quiet places that keep a rodent warm and dry, like new cars sitting on the lots at the port of entry or in the holds of transoceanic ships for months make ideal nesting sites. Rodents exist in such places in considerable numbers, especially if there's food source nearby. Not surprising at all.

13. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Snakes . . . one more reason not to live in Florida. :(

14. vince3151

vince3151 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After changing my oil today I opened the air filter housing and popped out the air filter only to be baffled by a pile of miniature acorns. From the prior posts it seems I should investigate further...jeez.

15. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Coming soon to a theater near you: "Snakes on a Prius!" :)

16. OldArmy94

OldArmy94 Crazy Prius Man

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those poor hamsters have to live somewhere while they're not running our motors!

17. Jack's Girl

Jack's Girl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Same thing happened to us except the smell was awful (not the slight odd smell the OP had.) The car had been left for 15 days (it's been left for 30 days before with no problems but not in warm weather) and the garage and car smelled awful.

We really hoped it was a dead animal in the garage but couldn't find it. The smell stayed in the car even when it was outside.

Pulled out the cabin filter to find three dead babies on the filter and a huge nest.

Vacuumed out everything. Washed and Febreezed the filter and the car now just smells of Febreeze. Washed and febreezed the vacuum filters and put in a new bag.

Will get a new cabin filter tomorrow since they chewed holes in this one.

Thanks for the posts that helped me figure out what to do.

(BTW: I have pics of the filter with the bodies and the nest in the car but you don't really want to see them. Trust me.)

18. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry to hear this... Since there are so many people experiencing the same thing, I don't think it would be an issue to post the picture up. I too would like to know where this air filter is and/or a better picture of the HOLE that was actually chewed out...

For some reason mice really REALLY seem to be attracted to this filter... :eek:

Anyone have pictures of where to install the MESH to prevent the entry into the AIR INTAKE?!?? The post in the 1st page was really helpful but that was from 2008 for GENII and also in the REAR hatch area where the 12Volt battery is located and not the front passenger air intake...

If anyone has a better LINK or thread they could share that would be great!!! :)

19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well it looks like you gen 3 owners are in much better luck in making an effective mouse proofing screen over the cabin air intake. See hobbit's web page here:
    3rd-gen block heater

20. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    not much help here...except how to remove the windshield cowling...