1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mouse chews hybrid wiring harness and causes $1166.79 damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wheels, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Mouse chews hybrid wiring harness and causes $1166.79 damage

A reasonable risk as long as your finances can comfortably absorb the cost of a comprehensive incident, as tailgunner must now do.

2. Butch Burns

Butch Burns New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The apparent lack of concern by all car manufacturers for designing cars to withstand rodent damage is the root problem. In much of the southwestern/midwestern US pack rat damage is very common. Short of garaging your vehicle in a tight garage (the critters don't need much space at all to get in) your vehicle will be exposed to having wiring and hoses chewed at which can do major damage. In our area pack rats are native wildlife, not invaders, so getting rid of them is essentially not possible. Certainly providing unguarded vent openings is inexcusable - class action material in my opinion. Besides providing rodent proof vent openings, all wires and harnesses as well as vacuum hoses should be protected by metal reinforced mesh since rodents easily chew plastic. This would not require a new technology - just a willingness to acknowledge that rodent damage to vehicles costs millions of dollars. Complain to Toyota! Maybe if enough do they'll finally listen.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone thought of throwing in one of those "glue traps" into each of those spaces right inside the vents? Might help.......

4. Rick Suddes

Rick Suddes Junior Member

I would spray Rataway Fragrance from Rataway.com it will prevent mice, rats. squirrels, rabbits
    from nesting and biting wiring in car engines.....Safe around pets and children

5. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good thread. Just happened on my Prius as well. Over $1k to fix the issue at the dealer. They fixed the wire and the cost was all labor. Half the cost was paid by insurance, but should have done it my self to be honest. Felt like the dealer ripped me off. Dealers love cases like this since its the easiest way to rob the customer. Beware.