1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mouse in car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by snce1980, Oct 3, 2011.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Then, it's a good thing the car's not infested with dogs.

2. Launch Vehicle

Launch Vehicle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Green-friendly, organic-based composite cabin materials may be partially to blame...

3. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Leave it to Toyota to invent a better mousetrap. ;)

I park mine outside, but the neighborhood has plenty of cats roaming around so I think it's protected.

Another site recommended using pure peppermint oil on cotton balls instead of moth balls since it is non-toxic and acts as an air freshener. Apparently it works as a mouse repellant.

http://togetridofmice.com/2008/07/tip-1-get-rid-of-mice-with-peppermint.html

4. ecoprius

ecoprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you don't have a neighbor playing a rude trick on you a week is a small time frame for so much damage.
    I agree with the sound deterrence, ultrasonic, soon.
    Or...think "Mars attacks" the Orbison music, treble tweaked will crack teeth, much less move mice.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Slim Whitman, not Roy Orbison. ;)

7. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell Mickey to move on or he will be facing Sylvester!!!

DBCassidy

8. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a Gary Larson comic in there somewhere:

[Prius owner peers into cab, with a large Golden Retriever tail sticking out of a vent]
    "It's infested with dogs, but I haven't been able to catch one in the open yet."

1 person likes this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I miss the Far Side.

10. shawnsprius

shawnsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WAIT! Thats not a mouse that is the engine! quickly get it to the engine bay on the wheel where he belongs!!!

OceanEyes likes this.
  11. Rick Suddes

Rick Suddes Junior Member

One customer had $12,500 damage to his 2005 Pirus the insurance company totaled the car . He now Sprays Rataway Fragrance to protect from nesting mice in car engines. safe around pets and children

12. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Used a gadget called the Rat Zapper in my barn along with the regular traps... amazing stuff that 4 D cells could take out a big rodent. The ex's Subaru had damage to wiring from a rat...

I don't have dogs or cats now so I have rat poison strategically placed in the garage and ultrasonic gadgets in the house and more poison in the attic to keep the critters away....

13. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    All of these threads about how mice and rats dine on soft Prius parts are making me worried. I have never had this problem and want to keep it that way. If I put bait (warfarin/Coumadin/d-Con) in or on my car, where should I put it. I tend to keep my Prius parked outside and don't want to poison neighborhood pets. At the same time, I don't want to invite rodents into my car by presenting a bait source that attracts them.

14. ridgliner

ridgliner New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we have had in the past the same problem with mice nesting in our vehicles. Under recommendation from our Prius driving neighbor we had a mouse blocker installed, and ultrasonic device that is installed under the hood for this exact reason. They have successfully kept mice out of their Prius for over a year now and highly recommended it to us. Hope this helps Mouse Blocker » Protecting your valuables from mice.

15. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My Prius is a dog mobile - my dogs and I go everywhere together. I checked the Mouse Blocker's FAQs, and it said that the dogs could not hear the sound. As far as the ultra sonic mouse repellent for use, I can hear it (I do not think I am a mouse). If I can hear it, my dogs can hear it. When you drive your car, is the Mouse Blocker in operation? Can you switch on and off?

16. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you can hear the Mouse Blocker, then you can answer an important question. Is the sound so annoying that it drives you out of the car?

17. Dale_K

Dale_K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My State Farm insurance totally covered rodent damage to my GMC pickup. They checked with the dealership service department to verify my story but I got a check for total reimbursment.

18. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A lot of the internal and under the hood components have vegetable based compounds in them. This is not unique to Toyota but has been a trend of late. I endured rodent damage to one of my vehicles to the tune of $14,000.00. Of course insurance was there to cover all but 500 bucks.. I pride myself on the cleanliness of my garage but now as a matter of routine i keep plastic boxes with mouse sized access holes filled with poison (pre made on sold at Home Depot in 4 packs) and I make sure they are replaced when they are used up. I was AMAZED how quickly they are being eaten. I go through 4 every year. I am CERTAIN I have averted another terrible event through the use of these little wonders!

19. Ed Burke

Ed Burke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Mice get in when a car sits unused, especially in a rural location. The dealer did nothing to help me shut out the offending mouse, so I brushed my cat, then left the cat fur in a few obscure places in the car. Mouse no longer in residence. In my case he resided in the passenger seat cushion, evidence was droppings and urine in carpet. I have no idea where the rodent gained entrance, but the air vents and dash were undamaged. My 2007 Prius never had the problem when it was parked where the 2010 is now.

20. jnadke

jnadke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe there is a tear-apart around here.

But under the windshield wipers and where the air vent system gets its air in that area is a section of large-spaced grating to let water drain away from your window (and down through the engine compartment).

So I'd imagine the rodents are climing up the wheel rims, and since the Prius is so low to the ground and the underbody is largely covered with plastic, up the plastic pieces. Then, if they don't decide to nest in the engine compartment, there's the access to the interior through that windshield drainage and air vent system.

There are some clearer pictures on here of someone that took that area apart and eliminated the large gaps with stainless steel chicken wire. Problem gone.