1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mouse Mystery: Case of the Missing Tail

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Jan 30, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I was noticing "essence de rodent" in my car lately.

So, I pulled the cabin filter and found it awash in seeds, but no mouse urine or droppings. I gingerly stuck my hand down into the fan and found nothing (I like the cabin filter because it tends to keep mice and their leavings out of the fan).

I shook out the filter and set it on the floorboard and left the whole assembly open to let it air out.

Meanwhile, thought I should open the engine compartment. So, I am looking around under the hood and see a strange looking curly thing. I pick it up. Sort of dried and yucky.

I then realize it's a mouse tail -- sans mouse. :eek:

I squealed like a little girl and promptly threw it into the woods. Guess I should have taken a photo and posted it, but while I am used to working with wildlife, sometimes....

Just wondering what happened? Is there a belt or something said mouse could have gotten tangled in and had amputation, or maybe fan in the engine?

Maybe another critter caught it under there and the tail is all that's left (oh, that's a good thought, I have a regular little zoo in there)<>

Once the weather improves, I really have to work on this issue....

2. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I vote for this.

Or, another advantage of the Gen III's beltless design? :p