1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MouseProofing the Prius

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by ebsmythe, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For cabin egress from the front, yes. There are also a couple of openings, below the hatch floor, at either corner, to exhaust air that's flowed over the hybrid battery. I've yet to mesh those; it seems kinda akward to do.

Consider also a mesh over the engine air intake entrance, the end of the air snorkel. Rodents might go down that, take up residence below the engine air filter.

2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After having screened off the cowl areas in my Gen 2 last year, I found same nest on top of the cabin air filter. It's like did nothing. Just throwing a data point out there on the Gen 2. Those openings are not the only way in, unfortunately. The rear is clean, I believe. I have cut out a ractangle of the screen material same shape as the filter and placed that on top of the filter. That has caused the critter to try and make a nest on the side. Definitely does not like the feel of the wire mesh on his feet. Good to know... But not a complete solution.

I was pondering the following. Back when I had the dash apart for combination meter repair, I remember seeing the filter box exposed. I did not have the presence of mind to explore this then (as I was really focused on the combination meter), but now I am thinking that there may be a way to take apart the air filter box enough to be able to place a wire mesh right before the entrance into said box instead of various other places that are not all known... What does the community think about this? Anyone try it?

Solman636 likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It "ain't the easiest" method, but it works.

I screened off all I could, but the meeces were still running around the engine compartment, etal, causing all sorts of havoc.

The screens DO HELP -- but only things I found to do the real trick around snap traps around the tires. Unless you are a real hog, there really is no food in the Prius. They have to forage.

The main thing they do is scurry up the tires and into the car.

Put mouse traps at each tire (if you have a lot of mice, a trap on each end).

I prefer the newbie plastic traps on Amazon.

Unless the car is under cover (garage). You will have pick up traps every morning to stop birds from being victims.

rampante550 likes this.
  4. Rosemaryart

Rosemaryart New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How do I connect the positive wire to the positive metal bar in the under hood fuse box for my electronic rodent repeller?

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not the place to connect. In the fuse box there's a heavy gauge positive wire coming in, is bolted with a ring connector, under a tricky plastic cover. You want to have a similar ring connector on the wire you're connecting (either crimped or soldered, or both), and piggyback it on that connection. Watch video #23 here, how to get the plastic cover off. Even watching the video it's still tricky to do lol:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can also apply anti-rodent mesh (1/4" grid, galvanized steel screen, available at hardware stores), to:

1. The cabin air intake. This requires removal of the wipers, their motors, and the metal cowl below it. Then you can access the cabin air intake opening, cut and bend a suitable piece of mesh and secure it over the opening, say with self-tapping sheet metal screws.

2. The engine air intake. Remove the engine air intake snorkel makes it easier, then cut a small square with bent back edges, drill some small holes through the snorkel, and secure the mesh in the opening with some sort of wire twist ties.

3. The two hybrid battery air outlets, at the rear corners of the car, below the hatch floor. I haven't done this yet; the process is similar, but a little hard to do, just hard to fasten the mesh.

Solman636 likes this.
  7. Rodhassler

Rodhassler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    So after ignoring this for awhile (and periodically having to clean mouse debris out of the filter) I'm finally going to give it a shot. I had to remove the wipers/cowl/etc today in order to do a piston soak and try to rejuvenate my piston rings, so now seems like the time to kill two birds with one stone. Except replace mice for birds. Ha

acceleraptor and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you please tell me how to remove the wiper motor assembly in order to access all the openings under the plastic cowl?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Courtesy of @NutzAboutBolts :

(If using for spark plug change, in video he spec's 20 foot/pounds torque for the plugs, with liberal coat of anti-seize. Repair Manual spec is 15 foot/pounds, presumably with clean/dry threads; there's no mention of lube.)

Compilation of his videos here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

#149 Mendel Leisk, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Rebound, acceleraptor and unigeezer like this.
  10. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was expecting the find several more vent openings in my 2011 prius, but only found the cabin air filter vent.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the main opening. There's also a couple of "exit" vents, under the hatch floor, at the rear corners. They vent to inside the rear "bumpers" (more aptly named "fairings"), and have flaps. Their design is somewhat like dryer vents.

They're not too hard to get to, but look awkward to screen off; I've yet to do it. Think it would be worthwhile though.

The engine bay is somewhere rodents can get too also, with ease, and it's impossible to seal. I think all you can do there is check frequently; good excuse to check the oil or whatever. And they will take up residence in there, it being warm and sheltered. One thing you CAN do in engine bay is put mesh over the entrance to the engine air intake snorkel.

12. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I already screened off the rear flaps by making a kind of box lid shape so the mesh fits over it nicely and secured with gorilla tape. As for the air intake "snorkel", where exactly do you put the screen?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where do I put the screen? Do I have to pull the hose out and which end?

Attached Files:

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s a good idea; I’ve been scratching my head how to do that.

You want to screen the end of the air intake snorkel. I shaped the mesh like a shallow box, pushed in the end, secured with 4 bare copper wire “twist ties”, in holes drilled through the snorkel walls:

8055F3C7-CF92-41B9-BCE9-00580B62CFE5.jpeg
    You need to remove for access; @NutzAboutBolts EGR pipe cleaning video shows, it’s pretty easy:

#154 Mendel Leisk, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    acceleraptor likes this.
  15. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Found it, thanks! Luckily there has been no evidence of rodent activity in the engine air filter.

Attached Files:

#155 unigeezer, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Careful with how you fine a mesh you put in there; it might start to impede engine air flow.

acceleraptor and audiodave like this.
  17. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm, so do you think this mesh spacing is to small to allow adequate air flow?

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure, but 1/4" rodent mesh might be safer.

19. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I initially thought about using that size but then read how small mice can get through it. Hard to visualize that, even with a small mouse but opted for finer mesh just in case. I'm guessing that as long as it doesn't impede air flow it should be fine. One thing is certain; even the smaller 1mm openings of the mesh allow far more airflow than facemasks, lol.

#159 unigeezer, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're call. Any mesh will reduce the air flow a little. I think 1/4" mesh would be negligible, but the stuff you've used a little more significant? Don't let me stampede you, but food for thought. Any mice that get through 1/4" mesh will look like french fries? I just wouldn't prep for a mouse that may or may not come, with a mesh that likely will restrict flow to the engine some.