1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Move car from garage, EV mode, and 0 mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by totoro, Nov 6, 2016.

1. totoro

totoro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I've had my Prius almost a year now, and loving it. However, I'm considering riding my motorcycle to work on some days, to reduce the daily wear and tear on the Prius. In order to get my motorcycle out of the garage, I have to move the Prius out first, and park it on the street. Then when I come back on the motorcycle, I need to move the Prius back in the garage again afterward.

I know that if the temperature is warm enough, and I press EV mode right away when starting the car, I can move the Prius without the engine kicking in. However, sometimes the mileage display reads 99.9 mpg after I do this, and sometimes 0 mpg.

My question is, how much would it affect my cumulative mpg display (A or B), if I repeatedly moved the car back and forth and the display read 0 mpg? Does it really count as 0 and average in with my recent other trips of 44-54 mpg?

Is there anything I can do to get the display to read 99.9 instead of 0 (i.e. am I doing something wrong when I put it in EV mode)?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    almost nothing. not sure why you're getting the zero, cause it should be 99.9, but 50 feet at a time isn't gonna change anything.

totoro likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car should be figuring Trip MPG as (total trip miles) / (total trip gallons). Because these garage movements are producing minimal distance and zero fuel, they should have very little impact on overall MPG.

If you were unable to move the car without the ICE firing up, then the warm-up fuel use would become significant and noticeably drop the overall MPG.

totoro likes this.
  4. Hong Kong Prius

Hong Kong Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Don't worry about it. I had this too and figured out why.

Becasue you are at full stop while you reset the trip. So the computer will read the data at the moment you press the reset button - Zero is what you suppsoed to get if you are at rest.

If you wanna have 99.9 MPG, reset it while you are hitting a speed with the full bar at MPG (e.g., 10 MPH with full EV mode), then the computer will read it as 99.9 MPG.. however, once you get lower than that, the computer will recalculate the MPG and it should.drop back to whatever it.is.

Hope it helps.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.