1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Move 'Reverse' beeper to back bumper. Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by davekro, Jan 1, 2014.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) Has anyone found that little F'er (beeper) under the dash? (where and how easy to access?)
    2) And moved it to under the back of the car? The aftermarket back up alarm I installed on my box van is WAY louder than would be appropriate for a small car. I MUST stop that noise in the cabin, but would love to have that beeping be heard at the back of the car, "IF" it would sound subtler at the back of the car for pedestrians.

I was just very glad to read that the dealer will turn off the Reverse Beeper (usually for free I am told), since I am due for the 5k service next week. But if this Mod has been done to good effect, I'd like to try it first. So any How to's on removing beeper, running wire to rear of car, mounting location(s) and was it worth it, would be greatly appreciated. Was the beep sound no longer obnoxious in the cab? Was it obnoxious for pedestrians?

For those with Reverse alarm turned off, did it also turn the seat belt alarm off, or is that a separate step? I would love the dealer to turn off the seat belt warning. Anyone had this done or know if it is allowed by law (in Calf. if that matters)?

TMI: Being a Mac person, I was NOT looking forward to learning to download a CSV file onto an old PC of my wife's and trying to use my Torque App to disable it.:confused: Now excited about the 'possibility' of turning a lemon (cabin beeper) into delicious lemonade (exterior beeper). ;)

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The seatbelt warning beeping is a separate setting.

SCH-I535

3. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FYI, Dealer's will usually change the reverse beeper to 1 beep, not completely turn it off. 1 beep is better than the incessant beeping as you are backing up.

davekro likes this.
  4. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After my dealer got my money THEN I found out about the BEEP REVERSE
    Dealer was going to charge me 50.00 to turn it off , sales rep did get it done for free
    But what a hastle

5. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hassle and a rip-off. I guess they need to keep the lights on, but....

6. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can add a beeping led light I think they sell them for commercial vehicles?

7. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see now the other option is One beep. This is good. Now I'll get to see if Dublin Toyota service dept. will turn it to one beep for free, or if I have to get the salesman involved.

I still would like to hear of anyone moving that beeper to the back bumper. I'm going to have to check how effective the white noise (in EV) is from the back of the car. Is there only a speaker in front for the white noise?

This Bak-Talk unit looks interesting, but pricey.
    Bak-Talk Backup Sensor | Vehicle Reversing Aid | Back up with Safety and Confidence | Sonar Technology | Voice Indicator
    It supposedly 'talks' only when there is something in your path. Saying: " Eight feet, five feet, two feet, (under 12") 'Crash'. " Would be good if it really was quiet w/o annoying false alarms.

Anyone seen or heard of these Bak-Talk units before?

8. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If a dealer won't switch it to the one beep for free I'd avoid them at all costs. It's a routine thing.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not necessarily. Lexus is the one that offers a one-time "Personalized Lexus Setting" free of charge. Toyota dealers have the liberty of charging or doing it for free, as no such policy exists for Toyota.

That said, you'll have a much better luck finding a Toyota dealer who'll do it for free if you locate a combined Lexus/Toyota dealership. Those joint dealerships are expected to meet higher standards than your typical run-of-the-mill Toyota dealer.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the reverse beep.

11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would get one that is used on dump trucks. That would irk a lot of people, thinking a dump truck is backing up!:p

In response to your question, no, I have not done the rear bumper beeper install.

DBCassidy

12. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ditto.

13. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Called for 5K appointment. They said the Entune 3.1 update and Reverse change to one beep were free (she asked if I bought my car there, which I did). Se was not aware they were able to turn off the turn signal alarm Seatbelt Alarm. I told her it was listed on page 646 of manual. She called back in an hour to confirm that they could indeed turn off the seatbelt alarm (all three for free). Good to know in advance. :eek:)

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Turn signal alarm? You mean seatbelt warning?

15. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dooooh! Thank you! Post edited

16. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wanted to see how well I could hear the PiP's white noise speaker from the rear of the car. While my wife was backing down our driveway, the 'noise' was on and off. We figured it turned off as she applied the brake backing down the slight grade of the driveway. Even when 'white noise' is on, it is not as audible behind the car. Hmmmmn. Maybe instead of looking for an aftermarket noise maker, I'll look into mounting a second factory 'white noise' speaker at the rear of the car? I'll do some more listening...

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, i read this and thought you didn't like the sound. i was gonna say, i can't even hear mine!:p

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's cheaper to buy the Mini VCI (around $25) and do this yourself. If at any time you disconnect the 12 volt battery the settings will revert to the factory setup and then you will need to go back to the dealer. The VCI will also allow you to alter the lighting programs , reset or program the TPMS, and so much more.

John (Britprius)

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've disconnected the 12V battery to swap out the stock steering wheel for JDM piano black and the backup beep didn't reset from single beep to continuous?

20. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I've disconnected the battery several times and the reverse beeper did not revert.