1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Moved) California Carpool lanes and lollygagging drivers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DianneWhitmire, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ Doesn't the sound like a therpy session?

Someone gets upset when his "right" to speed is challenged.

What other laws do you want to break?

I'd rather stop paying taxes if I chose a law to break.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  2. Jozo

Jozo PIP PIP HOORAY!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Re: LA drivers- when visiting my son last year, I was 'chewed out' on the freeway, which was moving at the rapid pace of about 10mph, for letting someone merge in from an entrance ramp! I took some serious crap for being nice and letting one guy merge in. I grew up down in LA, but apparently most of the population has yet to do the same.

3. jack520

jack520 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

When the average traffic is and or wants to go faster, then you should drive at that speed. In the state of california, you will not get a ticket if you are going with the flow of traffic and or going with the mean surveyed speed for that road. When a person chooses to slow down traffic for the majority just cause they can, they are being self centered.

If you get a speeding ticket in California, you can get from the police officer the surveyed speed for that road.

When I want to drive slower than the general flow of traffic in the fast lane / commuter lane then I move to the right.

4. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jack, I think everyone agrees with you as far as the #1-5 lanes are concerned. Our discussion is regarding the HOV/HOT lanes. I have been on the 91 HOV lane with a woman driving solo tailgating me in my previous HCH2. The traffic in the regular lanes was gridlock. She tailgated me expecting me to go faster than 45 mph. I white knuckled that drive for 2 minutes then illegally crossed the double yellow to get out of her way as she continued to tailgate me. When I moved over, she pulled up next to me and said my little car was "so gay."

How can one argue with a low rent, uneducated, ignorant fool such as this? If the CHP do not stop these morons for their behavior, they will continue to drive as they do and continue to jack our insurance rates up or kill people.

How entitled are people in SoCal? Do you remember the guy who killed the CHP officer in 2010 for driving on the shoulder? CHP Officer Injured in 405 Freeway Crash Has Died - ktla.com

Honestly, nothing you can say can justify the HORRIBLE behavior of people in this city of Angels. The city of the entitled.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And demanding that other people violate the speed limit for your convenience is not self-centered?

As another poster pointed out, drivers from a certain provinces of California have a bad reputation when driving elsewhere.

Andyprius # 1 and Chuck. like this.
  6. jack520

jack520 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I am all about going with the flow of traffic....it is the safest thing to do. If you do not like the flow, go to a slower lane. I would never advocate tailgating, not using turn signals. I feel for you....and think that lady was out of line..

7. jack520

jack520 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I am all for going with the flow of traffic. If it is too fast, pull over to the slower lanes.

I am all for using turn signals, and not changing lanes to get ahead...

Sticking out and not driving like the vast majority of the people is wrong...and Californians who drive this way are in the wrong.

By the way, I usually drive in the slow lanes :)

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up here, the HOV lane sometimes is a slower lane, going not much above speed limit. Or not at all above speed limit, when a transit bus is present. Folks who want to go faster need to move to the 'real' fast last, which is left-most general purpose lane.

When the general purpose lanes are going slower, which is often, then no one can legitimately claim that a car doing the speed limit in the HOV lane is holding up traffic.

Fortunately, my state doesn't have this nonsense of giving stickers to certain privileged SOV drivers to use the HOV lanes. Plenty of commuters here join real car pools.

I don't yet recall seeing an answer: In CA, does the 'slow traffic move right' apply to the HOV lane? Here, it very specifically does not.

9. jack520

jack520 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I only drive in the HOV lanes when I am an HOV.

Most drivers do not follow the guidline of slower traffic on the right.

Most drivers do not follow the law of no hand held cell or texting while driving.

Most drivers do not use their turn signals.

10. To make it even more complicated, in CA a driver can pass on either side legally. I think that is the real gist of the problem. No order, no logic = confusion.

11. What is strange is, America used to have the best drivers in the World. What changed the driving habits? The double nickel? Ie: enforced 55 mph. .???

12. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You should try driving out in the Inland Empire.. those people are nuts. They drive about 1 car length from your tail end if you drive just above speed limit in the HOV lane.

When they realize the tailgating doesn't work, they swerve out of the carpool lane, and cut you off narrowly missing your front end as they cut back in front of you.

In SoCal it's pretty clear. The lower the education (cheaper car or SUV), the more aggressive they drive.

Can you tell I commute a lot and I'm just slightly jaded? Wish I had more money so I could live in town and hire a driver.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is legal in both states where I have been licensed to drive (not CA), as long as it is done in a separate marked lane. I.e. slow traffic in the middle or left lanes does not mean the right lane must also go slow.

Here, the 'no passing on the right' rule refers to passing without benefit of a separate marked lane. Don't pass on the shoulder. If a car is waiting for a safe opening for a left hand turn, without benefit of a separated turn lane or additional travel lane, cars behind are forbidden to pass it on the right.

Hiway 2 used to have occasional special enforcement of this rule at the Sultan Basin turnoff, first with a sandwich board sign on the shoulder, then with an officer parked next to the sign to nab violators. Eventually, enough resources became available to widen the highway, adding a left turn lane and a traffic light.