1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MoviePass

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by macmaster05, Jan 26, 2018.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Guys, have you heard of this thing??!! We got our MoviePass last week from Costco for $90/year and so far we've seen 5 movies in 8 days. If we keep this rate up, we'll see 225 movies in the year, making each ticket cost approx 40 cents. Yeah we might run MoviePass out of business but we're gonna have fun while we do it. This is by and large the cheapest form of paid-entertainment.

bisco and pilotgrrl like this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    macmaster,
    I signed up with the Costco deal as well.
    Was a good way to ensure date night with my wife. Even if we went to 1 movie a month it would more than pay for itself.
    I think the first movie we went to was $11.25 had we paid full price. And this was on a Tuesday night at 8pm.

And since we did the deal through Costco it is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

Lastly, don't forget to sign up for the theater's loyalty card as well. You'll earn points and other perks as a member. (Like free refill on large popcorn, etc)

There is quite a bit of discussion about it on reddit
    MoviePass

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we saw this on a morning show, they said it was good business filling seats. 90 bucks is quite a deal, they were saying $120.

macmaster05 likes this.
  4. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $10 per month is still a great deal.
    I saw 3 movies in the first month.

Easy to use.
    Totally worth it.

macmaster05 likes this.
  5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're at 8 movies in 11 days.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow!
    i wish there were that many movies i wanted to see.:unsure:

are they getting you for snacks?:cool:

macmaster05 likes this.
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, we've been doing a really good job of avoiding the theater food. A couple times though we brought in some snacks from nearby restaurants. :D

I still have yet to truly assess whether there are diminishing returns from going too often. We do try to mix up the genre so as to not get tired of movies. I've seen a couple Oscar movies that are up for Best Picture and I must say they're awful and overrated. Sorry if you like them. So boring. Reminds me of why I hate the Academy Awards and I stopped seeing those films.

I find the "bad" films more entertaining, but yeah, like you said I also wish there were more movies I wanted to see. I feel like I occasionally have to force myself to try to enjoy the films (like with those Oscar ones) and that's no fun.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    watching la la land in a hotel room in fredericksburg va. not a bad flick, my wife is really enjoying it. if we had the movie pass, we probably would have seen it in the there, but for ten bucks, i wait until they are streaming.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the way to Florida?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes!(y)

great day today, left 15 minutes earlier, didn't take any wrong turns, hit the beltway before serious rush hour, and 95s to fredericksburg was only stop and go fo 30 miles.:cool:

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good deal.
    In part however I think it's survival for movie theaters.
    With large screen televisions, streaming, and all the options already available I don't think theaters can afford huge admission prices anymore.
    In my area alone I'm seeing more and more discount times and admissions.
    But it still sounds like a pretty good deal, if you want to see 1st run movies.

12. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did Costco hand over a Moviepass debit card on day one or did you need to wait for it via snail mail?

I joined the $10 per month plan over a month ago and am still waiting for the debit card.
    Luckily, I can use e-ticket so I don't need the card right now but am wondering when, if ever,
    it will arrive. I did not want to risk an annual membership in case their service didn't work out for me
    or Moviepass went out of business. Lots of dissatisfied customers on Google Play.

I have been to the theater more times in the past month than I have in the past 10 years.
    This deal will not last long with its current terms. Only a matter of time until Moviepass goes
    belly up or jacks up their prices to the point subscribers bail. For now anyway, it's nirvana.

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Via Costco it went very smoothly for me.

Bought Prior to Christmas via Costco.
    I bought online on Costco's website and was sent an email that day from Costco that contained an activation code to enter when signing up for MoviePass.

12/27/17 I signed up for MoviePass using the activation code.

I then waited for the physical debit card to arrive in the postal mail. (There aren't any e-ticket locations near me.)

By 1/7/18 the card arrived and the next day I saw my first MoviePass movie.

It is prepaid annual pass. My understanding with Costco is that it is back by Costco's 100% money back guarantee. So if I ever have problems not receiving the full year, I can contact Costco for a refund. That reassure is what really sealed the deal for me to give it a try. As I understand it, I am protected matter what happens financially to MoviePass.

jadziasman and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we shut off la la land half way through. guess that's why we don't have movie pass.

RCO likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only the newer multiplexes survive outside the big cities in UK. The old movie theatres, like lots of churches have been re-purposed to other uses.

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is exactly how I feel. If MoviePass pulls something shady (you should see their Terms of Service), I'll talk to Costco. However, if a refund were to be given, I would have gotten x amount of movies for free. Therefore they better not mess with us.

17. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay you Priuschat guys (and maybe gals) with Moviepasses, you should splurge (ahem) for an evening showing of 'I, Tonya' while it's still playing at your local cinema. Less crowded then with ticket prices generally above $10 later in the day.

It really helps if you're over 55 years of age for this film because all of the events in the movie occurred more than 25 years ago and those who were adults back then will remember what happened fairly well and will not be bored with some of the nostalgia.

It's one of the top three movies I've seen in the past six weeks and I've seen a s***load of em in those six weeks, believe me.
    Not a perfect film, mind you, but very entertaining.

The screenwriters significantly altered the actual events such that this 'docudramedy' is 90% fiction / 10% fact.
    I'm okay with that, it's only a movie.

As Jack Torrence said to his wife Wendy in 'The Shining'...... Go check it out!

RCO likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Movie Pass?

I'll pass.
    Hollywood isn't making enough movies that I'm willing to go and see to justify the expense, and someone recently refurbished a 4-screen theater less than a mile from my house that does first-run movies.

.......two years ago.......

.....and they tell me that it's pretty nice.

RCO likes this.
  19. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I go to the local Studio Movie Grill when T-Mobile has $5 tickets and there's something I'm interested in seeing.

There aren't any art houses out here, so I rely on Netflix & Amazon Prime for that sort of thing. I'm fine with my big screen phone.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is why movie pass got a foot in the door, too many empty seats.

RCO likes this.