1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moving "dead" car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GreenClipper, Jun 4, 2010.

1. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For future reference.... How do you move a GenIII with a dead battery? Is it possible? If the 12vt battery is dead, is it possible to get the car out of park?
    My car is only 6mo old, but due to the poor rear visibility for backing, I often back into parking spaces, & into my garage, as the car's battery gets to be years old do I need to be concerned about parking in a way that I can get the hatch open? Then I just thought,...if the battery is dead, can you even get the hatch open?
    If this has been addressed somewhere else in the forum I appoligize as I haven't seen it.:confused:

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can't get it out of park unless you can get into the ready mode, so you need both batteries. But if only the 12V is dead you can always jump it from the under hood connector. As soon as the car goes into Ready the traction battery will come on line and charge the 12V battery.

If you need to get the hatch open with a dead battery you need to crawl back there and open it manually, owner's manual shows where the latch is.

I plan on replacing my 12V battery after it's about 4 years old just in case, think I'll use one of these.

12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 with installation kit

Can't vouch for the site though, I get a warning from my browser that they can't be trusted. But the idea is good and you can pick up a yellow top Optima and make or buy the cables. It would be better and cheaper than the batteries the Toyota dealers sell.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been backing into my garage for 5.5 years now and never any problems. Batteries do not go bad instantaneously so in the meantime you can prepare by get.ting a battery charger or a known good 12V spare and connect it to the bat jumper points under the hood, it's good practice. There is a release somewhere inside the trunk, but you have to climb over the seat, also good practise. Personally I would do the former. Observe polarities.

4. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can charge the 12V battery from the jump-start terminals under the hood, which is easy to get to even if you have no power at all - the mechanical key can unlock the driver's door, and the hood is a mechanical lever. So if your battery dies while you're parked back-end into your garage you should be fine, no crawling into the back looking for the mechanical hatch release.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Further, you can move the car if you lift the front wheels off the ground. A floor jack with wheels on a smooth concrete surface makes this possible. Just in case. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all your replies. I knew there had to be a logical way to either move, or jump the car. The idea of a floor jack is a good one....hadn't thought of that.
    Tom regards the Optima battery, my local Advanced Auto Parts store carries them, not for the 2010 yet, but they told me they will by this fall. I asked them if they would have the "install kit" to adapt from the Japanese terminals and they said they would.....cost for either the battery/kit..? But at least they will have them. :thumb:

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Keep in mind that it doesn't take a lot of current to jump start a Prius, so you can make an extra long set of jumper cables that will reach under the hood even if the car is parked front-in.

Tom

8. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Such as these. 10 Gauge finely stranded, and note the solid copper clips, the small ones are for the Prius. The large ones are for the electron force "doner". Mueller clips, cable designed for troller motors (boats). DO NOT build cables like this and try to use them on "normal" cars. They will overheat in that use. Fine for Prius or other hybrids though, as long as they use the Toyota system.

Attached Files:

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OR: hook up two 6 V lantern batteries in series.

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought about trying this recently, but I don't think they have the current capacity needed - their internal resistance is too high. As has been noted before, you need something that can supply about 40 Amps for a few seconds.

One my coworkers suggested just keeping a short stack of watch batteries around if I ever need to jump start my car. If only...

11. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you could connect AA NiMH cells in series with low resistance connections that would work. You need 10 cells. The commonly available plastic holders aren't really good enough though. The interconnects can't handle the current and the contact resistance is too high. Perhaps tabbed cells, soldered or spot welded together.

But the easiest thing to use is a "booster pack". Available at auto parts stores everywhere, and not very expensive. Make a short "adapter clip" to ensure easy connection to the boost terminal underhood and you're set.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have not actually tried 2 lantern bat, but do keep a small gel (block) rated at 7 Amperes. It works fine. I keep it handy under the right front seat, in an old fannypack.