1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moving from prius gen3 to PIP. Regrets?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wantaprius, Sep 20, 2014.

1. wantaprius

wantaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am thinking of selling my Prius'09 and getting a PIP. I drive about 2 miles a day. 4 stop signs and 1 steep hill. Will it kick out of EV most of my trip?
    Does the feel of the drive seem the same?

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be a good candidate for a full electric car like the Leaf, etc...
    If you're only driving 2 mi/day... why drag a heavy internal combustion engine and gas tank (with gas that will go bad over 12 months if you don't use it)?

The Leaf is about $30k less $7,500 fed tax credit, so you can get it for around $23K and it's got 80+ mi range.

3. wantaprius

wantaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I need a car that fits 3 more comfortable in the back and about every 3 weeks I make a 110 mile trip so I would have to charge half way. I would only be choosing between a new regular prius or a PIP. I love Prius. Most other cars have smaller back seats or way worse mileage.

4. wantaprius

wantaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My main worry is with the PIP will the combustion kick on with every stop sign or on the hill so it wouldn't do me any good.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Sounds like a Prius Plug In would be a perfect fit. My one way commute is 9.8 miles and I make it all EV most days. Winter months are tougher to make all EV. The PIP will only make you wish you have more EV range. With such a short commute, you could save money with another regular Prius. The ICE will normally kick in under hard acceleration

Attached Files:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my ice never kicks in except in extreme cold. it depends on how you drive. read the faq sticky '14 reasons why the ice kicks in.' and take one for a test drive. make sure they charge it up before you get there, or plan on doing some browsing while it charges. btw, you are in a gen II now. all the best!(y)

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It definitely shouldn't kick on at every stop sign, but it may kick on during the hill, but not necessarily. It really depends on how steep the hill is and how fast you want/need to accelerate.

8. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Well, that rules out the Volt for sure. :)

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are pretty steep hills in Fort Lee, NJ. ICE does not kick in for me. I was worried about it before moving. It shouldn't be an issue for you.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dragging the heavier battery pack is worse, as Leaf is heavier than PiP.

For around town city driving, PiP EV operation is more efficient than the Leaf.

The need to drive 110 miles makes PiP an ideal candidate. He'll get the most out of both fuels.

11. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I traded in my 2012 Prius Three for a PiP. The PiP is ideal for you pending considerations discussed in other postings. I drive 5.6 miles round trip to the gym every morning. The return trip has 1 mile of mostly uphill, some rather steep. I generally get home with more than 50% SOC (about 40% of the total available charge). That's enough charge left to go back down the hill to the store (3 miles round trip) and return with some charge left over. Then if we are going to lunch I recharge and make the 10.5 mile round trip. All these trips are completely on EV including the several signals and stop signs. Some weeks the ICE never comes on.

#11 CaliforniaBear, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  12. wantaprius

wantaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks everyone. All my friends think I am crazy. If I am I am glad there are other crazy people out there. Still want to know if the ride is the same?

13. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The PiP feels exactly the same for comfort and ride as the Prius Three. By the way, you do need to give some consideration to electricity cost. If you are paying more than $0.25/kWh (unlikely in Oregon) you won't save much money but you will still use much less gas.

14. wantaprius

wantaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we pay 6.61cents so I should save right. That is $0.066/kWh --correct??? (I am not much with math) How many kWh per charge??

15. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    YES! I used to live in Beaverton. Now I have to have solar panels to get my cost down to $0.12/kWh A full charge is about 3 kWh I charge 1 to 3 times per day for my short trips around home. On a trip I only go with the initial charge, too much hassle in time to charge on the trip. The good news is the PiP gets better mileage if your trip involves hills/mountains because you get lots of free charging going down reasonably steep long hills.

wantaprius likes this.
  16. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What is the grade of the hill and traffic speed? If you drive non-aggressively and traffic allows, most steep hills can be done without falling out of EV mode.

Ultimately, if you live near a Toyota dealership, take one for a test drive on this segment.

wantaprius likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still not sure if you mean from a gen III or '09, but i came from an '08 and felt zero difference in the ride. keep in mind, you lose your spare tyre and most of the storage space under the deck. why do your friends think you're crazy?

18. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A steep hill will kick it out of EV only if you must go at a speed that requires the PWR level on the display. If you're willing to settle for 35 mph you should be able to stay in EV.

19. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you can arrange a test drive w/a PIP and see what happens going up that hill?

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also traded in my 2012 Prius for a 2012 PIP, I didn't regret it either!
    Riding around in silent EV mode is a joy!