1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving on to a Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by KV1955, Feb 6, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PiPA of this thread seems to still be avails at $22.8k

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Done my share of american & foreign made cars. After going thru most of the, I have settled with Toyota. For me, compared to the others, Toyota has had lower initial cost, lower maintenance cost and is easy to work on. Just my personal experience. I am happy that Chevrolet has the Volt. Happy it has a better interior design, etc. But, I love my 2015's rear space and seating. Already put both to use (hauled my son's new bike in the back, driven my family to dinner). Son is 6'4', daughter is 5'9".

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup Gen3 Prius was superior rear space and Cargo space. Gen2 was not so bad either.
    This car is Plug_in Advanced...$23k seems a bit high price compared to what we're hearing out here for the non-advanced (it's my Prius dealer in Manassas VA) so I am watching to see.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  4. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah....they still have it listed as an Advanced model...which it is not. That is a really high asking price.....

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  5. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are right, that is a very high price. I purchased mine for $16,500 Advanced model with 26,100 miles and actually afterward saw even slightly better deals! One just has to be patient.

I too have noticed many auto dealers advertising the "Advanced" model when it is not, just base. They do not know their own vehicles.

On this entire discussion of the Volt, I realized the other day that I will go literally months without actually seeing a Volt! My commute now is 33 miles each way. I see lots of Gen 2, 3 and even the new 4 plying the highways daily. I rarely come across a Volt. I also see lots of Tesla's. Living outside a major city like New York that seems very odd.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.
    I see a Volt, Leaf or Tesla every day. I notice as many Prii.
    I am sure there are 100 times as many as I see, however I don't notice them.

When I drove a Prius, I noticed quite a few more. Of course, this could be an aberration and perhaps Volts are extremely rare on your commute.

7. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Since I drive an electric hybrid vehicle I am very aware of my surroundings and what is on the road. I am glad that you see fit to tell me what I see every day!

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No offense intended.
    All I am saying is, unless you aren't watching the road, people simply remember all vehicles that they see.
    How many Honda Civics did you pass today?

kenoarto likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NJ gives nice tax discount to BEV's but not PHEV's, Volt, so that could be part of it.
    If we only knew state-by-state car sales data, then we'd know something. But that's secret.

10. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Miller Toyota changed the online listing today. They now call it a PIP Base, and the price is $21,400.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's about $1000 over the residual on my lease.

bisco likes this.
  13. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm not a pip or volt owner but I keep them in my sight for future possible shift... so forgive my ignorance.

I'm curious thought, does the 2016 volt recharge the battery while driving? I got the impression the new pip will. If volt won't, then I would think the pip is better in this aspect for long drives. That plus the higher ICE mpg. That would be a big factor for me as I do lots of long drives specially thru the Catskill and Adirondack mountains in NY. Can't stand the thought of not recovering any of that energy going down those long descends.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think volt does.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think most Plug_ins have the regenerative braking. The advantage of Volt would be max EV miles and possibly more driver comfort and amenities, whereas I don't think another plug-in "car" will soon match the Cargo and rear seat space of PiP, at the expense of less EV miles. The new Prime will split the difference, more or less.

16. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It uses both regen braking as well as engine braking to recharge the battery. Just FYI....I've been getting around 65 miles on a full charge in my Volt now that the weather has gotten warmer. Less at highway speeds, more on local roads. The one long trip I've taken using the ICE I ended up getting 42 mpg. So far, in ~3000 miles of driving since I bought it in January, I've filled the tank once.

Jeff N, Zythryn and wjtracy like this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for checking back in KV...I did not immediately realize you were OP and I was convinced OP was a PiPA owner, So I wondered how that other guy was so sure it was not PiPA...well you oughta know. Gee I wanna say a guy on here in Philly paid a whole lot less for a similar car, in that case, gotta check that thread.

18. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    thanks. I guess I got it the other way around then. It was probably the current PIP that does not recharge the bigger plug
    Thanks, I guess I got it the other way around then. It was probably the current PIP that does not recharge the bigger plug-in battery while driving.

19. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    While on a long trip, will the Volt go back into EV mode when there's sufficient change in the HV battery?

20. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know the charge is regenerated both by braking and by the ICE if you use "mountain" mode, but if you've let the charge go all the way to zero i don't know if you switch back to EV after regeneration without a restart.