1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving on up to a Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by IndyMelissa, Jan 4, 2017.

1. IndyMelissa

IndyMelissa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been scouring the Priuschat threads now that I've decided to turn in my 2003 Prius. :( I love the little guy, but he's turning into too much of a project car for me to handle (needs new front struts, mystery noise in the rear, a/c dead for a few years). Looking at the newer Prius I'm surprised at how much looks the same! But I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune as soon as I sit in one.

Right now I think I've narrowed it down to buying a 2013 or 2014 Prius three or a 2017 Prius two. Obviously used has a better price tag post depreciation, but my concern is with the safety features (TSS-P) standard on a 2017 (and on many new cars moving forward) would a Gen 3 almost be outdated? Are these standard features worth the $5-8k upcharge I'd be looking at?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the whole car is worth the up charge. but take a test drive of each and see what you think. the safety features are only worth what they are worth to you. all the best!(y)

pjm877 and RCO like this.
  3. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If money isn't a critical factor, 2017 Two is an all around better (read: enjoyable) vehicle, IMO.

Prodigyplace, RCO and krmcg like this.
  4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As our 05 reaches 12years old, we are thinking about our next car, too. City folks like us are thinking about a Prime, Volt or CMax. I would kill for a quiet car this time.

5. IndyMelissa

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would love the Prime, but I'm not sure how my landlord would feel about putting a charger in our garage. So I'll be waiting a few more years for an electric car.

RCO likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all you need is a standard 120v wall outlet.

RCO likes this.
  7. IndyMelissa

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's good to know. The last electric car I researched was the Leaf. But I'm still going to hold off a little longer. Price is out of range and I'd like to see a higher electric range.

RCO and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind there's a $4,500. federal tax credit and possibly a state credit. here in ma, we get 1500, so a 28k base prime with the 1k toyota rebate is 21k. and it's still a prius when the 25 mile range runs out. not that i'm trying to persuade you.:p

usnavystgc and RCO like this.
  9. IndyMelissa

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely no state credit in Indiana. :/ I read about the federal tax credit, but with the way it works, I don't think I'd be able to take full advantage of it.

RCO and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, i give.:)

11. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was looking at the gen 3 before I bought my 2016 too. Gen 3 prices were around $15K for certified w/ 36K miles (or so). With the $2500 incentive on the 2016 plus leftover discounting, I ending up buying new 'cause the offer was too good to pass up. 2017's were already on the lot, but they weren't being discounted like the 2016's. I wanted TSS-P, but didn't want to pay the ~ $3.5K for the upgrade.

You'll have to decide if the TSS-P is worth it for you. I DEFINITELY think the Gen4 is the way to go, and you might be able to find some 2016's two's at good prices if you are willing to give up the TSS-P (which is standard on 2017's, but optional on higher spec'd prii).

I basically split the difference between a gen3 and 2017 w/ TSS-P, 'cause I was concerned w/ price so the 2016 made the most sense in my situation.

12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can have my 2016 Prius. Glitches at all.

I'm going back to a 1997 Ford F150! :LOL:

'LectroFuel and kithmo like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I look at some of the new stuff more as liabilities. You will be giving up a lot of storage room with 4th gen, and depending on the level might lose the temp spare (it is still available on certain levels though). Esthetics are a factor too, exterior and interior. As mentioned above, test drive both.

RCO likes this.
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're not visually repelled by the G4 then it does offer some advantages over the G3.
    It's a little more efficient, and its handling is reportedly a little bit less X-box 360'ish.
    The G3 will obviously be cheaper to get into, and it's more of a known quantity where common failures are concerned.
    If you're going to buy a car and saving money is any factor at all, used is always better than new if you're anything close to being sharp about product reviews, and a little research.

If you're leaning G3, I would stay away from the Prime for now because, no offense intended, if you think that you're not able to take advantage of the federal tax kickback, then maybe the G3 would be less of a financial burden.

If you're leaning towards the 2017 (G4) then I would advise that you do a few things:

1. Don't before you're absolutely sure that you want to spend the additional $. Price insurance and tags as well as the cost of the loan.

2. Wait as loooooong as you can and see about getting into a Prime. Unless you're too poor to afford a new car, you CAN take full advantage of the kickback money. Follow a guy in this forum maned bwilson4web. He lives in AL (another flyover state) and I believe that he bought a Prime in RI for less that you might wind up paying for a G4 in the Hoosier state.
    In the end, I believe that the Prime might actually be more affordable than the G4, but not this year.

3. Wait just a little bit longer anyway to see if the G4 has more teething problems than the G3 did before you pull the trigger.

4. Sell your project car privately rather than trading it in at a dealer, and arrange for financing at a Credit Union rather than using the dealer money.

Good Luck!

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out :D

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a spare on the Trim Two referenced by the OP.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I am more repelled by the large black grills on Toyota's other current offerings.

MichelleStone likes this.
  18. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't believe it

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But it's on the Internet so is must be true!

Bluegrassman likes this.
  20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So.....is it more fake news or is the G4 a lemon?