1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MP3 CD folder, file structure, or order on a CD..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ES44AC, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello.

Finally got tired of just dumping mp3 files onto a disc and playing them, thought it might be nice to have multiple folders on a CD with tunes in those folders.

I have tried making folders in W7 and then putting a tune or two in them to test. Seems the OEM single disc player doesn't grasp the concept of folders with names. the folders I have made reside on the root of the CD, but that seems to stymie the player.

I'm using IMGBurn to make the discs, thought I saw it recommended somewhere. I also have Nero and have tried that with no success.

I have no place to plug in a USB thumb drive, the connection in the console is a miniplug not a USB. I also do not have an mp3 stand alone player of any sort, Maybe I should invest in a cheap one....

Am I beating a dead horse trying to do what I am doing? Just costing me some time I am using CD/ RW to test with.

Seems to me the file structure should be OK and it's the OEM player that's the issue.

Tnx,

"ES"

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine has usb in the console, did it change in 2012?

3. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bisco maybe it did mine is a 2011 Base Model..

bisco likes this.
  4. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have seen posts from a few other 2011 owners that apparently have a USB connection. I only have a mini plug and 120 Watt cigarette lighter plug in my console nothing else.
    Thanks,'ES'

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The usb female port is directly below the headphone jack. VIsually you can't see the port looking directly from driver above view.

6. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    grid,

I appreciate the posting but as you can see from my photo there is no USB under that rubber door.... are you suggesting that I take out the mini stereo plug to reveal a USB port?

My manual makes no reference to a USB just the mini plug, which I know works, since I plugged my cell phone into it to see what it would do.

The hole that looks like a USB isn't. It merely gives the rubber dust protector door something to attach to. If it can' be used as a USB as it is because it isn't one.

Please correct me if I am mistaken. Or I am looking at the wrong place perhaps?

Regards.

"ES"

Attached Files:

7. gregrapt

gregrapt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There is no usb in your car. But there is an interface kit that you can order even through Priuschat: Part #: PT233-47100. Enjoy.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  8. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks gregrapt! I was wondering if there was such a thing. Now I know, many thanks.

'ES'

bisco likes this.
  9. n23

n23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have a USB port, but if I didn't, I'd probably get the kit instead of fighting the head unit with folders and CDs. The problem is a data CD isn't very big, less than 700MB. For me that's tiny, my USB is 64GB and full. Granted, I don't listen to every one of those songs daily, but I like variety.

My hack for getting the radio to sort media in files is the Genre ID3 tag. For each album I use MP3Tag to copy the 'Artist - Album' into the Genre field. Now when I browse by Genre, I have a nice list of Artists sorted by alpha. My previous car had a JVC aftermarket stereo and I got very used to navigating its USB browser. I'll probably swap to an aftermarket stereo in a few years.

Your other suggestion, to get an old iPod and use it with the Line-In or via FM transmitter is a good suggestion too, but for me it's a rabbit hole that runs deep. Why get a used iPod if you can get a used iPad Mini and mount it to the center column and use that instead, the interface is easier and the screen is bigger.

10. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi n23,

Thanks for that info. I had/have an FM Xmtr and the darned thing drifts off freq. all the time. Clearly not acceptable, plus depending what area you're in you can be overloaded by a strong FM broadcast signal on the freq you've chosen. My Garmin GPS has the same trouble, with broadcast stations blowing it out of the water! But conversely if you are stopped at a light and the person in the next car is tuned to the freq you're using for GPS, they can hear the info too LOL!

You've given me some great ideas and I agree, fooling with the OEM head unit and it's inability to make sense of tracks and folders is a time waster..

Best wishes,

"ES"

11. n23

n23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Another factor to consider is the ease of use while driving - I find the factory radio cumbersome, whereas Apple has gone to great lengths to make their iOS software easy to use. A used iPod touch can be had very cheaply*. Run a cable for the line-in jack, a cheap power source and a simple car mount and keep the factory radio set to the line-in. I almost went this route in a previous car and only abandoned it when its factory radio started to die, opening up the possibility for an aftermarket unit.

*for instance, I-pod Ipod touch 2nd Gen 8gig - electronics - by owner - sale and although 8GB isn't much, $20 isn't much either for a proof of concept. If it works, get the 64GB one.

12. Glyn

Glyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I installed a Bluetooth receiver with audio output via 3.5mm stereo jack.
    Now I can listen to all my fiels on my mobile, be it locally stored, Spotify or some other app.
    Plus, with the Google assistant app I have voice command.
    As an added bonus it's also means I can telephone hands free.