1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MP3 ID3 tag

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by marrat, Sep 24, 2015.

1. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have a 2010 Prius 3 with the HDD nav unit and the JBL system. I can play MP3 files perfectly using a USB mass storage device, but I have a problem with ID3 tags. Currently, in the "title" field the file name and in the "disc" field the folder name is displayed. In the "artist" field, I see just "no info". All the files have proper ID3 v2.3 tags on my PC, but the Prius doesn't seem to pick up the tag. Does the 2010 even work with ID3 tags? I tried pressing "DISP", I checked settings, I can't see any reference to MP3 tags. The manual also does not mention this.
    Please don't tell me ID3 tags don't work, that would be idiotic :(

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They don't work. Sorry.

I have a 2013.

Now, I don't have quite the same problem because all my MP3s are titled based on the song, so it's not that bad. Of course, I'm anal, and I use a numeric prefix to keep everything in the correct order on my PC.

XXXYYZZ - Song Name

XXX = Artist
    YY = Album
    ZZ = Track

Sadly, most of the display line (due to size of text) is used up by the number prefix.

3. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That's too bad and plain stupid. Supporting MP3 from a USB stick and not offering something as rudimentary as ID3 tag is just wrong. Maybe I should look into one of those aftermarket units.

Thanks for the reply.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a shortcoming, but if I'm correct, a lot of "ripping" software will either name the track based on the song title (if you have Internet access while doing it) or at least let you pick the name of the file.

I'm surprised the file name isn't good enough as it is, but I don't know how your MP3 were made.

5. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I can name the files obviously as I like them, but it's very strange something so simple doesn't work. I have to live with it I guess.

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a bit of a "brain fart" that the USB mode doesn't display MP3 tags. It's also a brain fart that you have to use the USB plug IN THE CENTER CONSOLE to connect your phone for a direct link. It's not like it's easy to get at...especially if you want to store other things in the center console.