1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG All Over The Place

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by MBurg49, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MBurg49

MBurg49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Need some help. I bought my Gen 2 about 7 months ago and at first I was consistently getting about 48 mpg. In the last couple of months this thing has been all over the place going as high as 52 and as low as 42. My gas gauge has gotten more and more inaccurate and with the mileage being crazy like that I don't really trust the car at this point. I drive about 100 miles round trip for work doing roughly 70-75, keep my tires inflated correctly, synthetic oil, etc etc. My biggest concern is that when I accelerate it sounds like the engine is really straining, way more than when I first got the car. I know some of this can be chalked up to the cooler weather and the car pushing 200k miles, but I'm concerned something else is going on. Thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! has all the required maintenance been done to date?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your profile say's you live in Florida?

If it was many other places I might chalk it up to cooler winter weather.
    But in Florida? How much cooler can it really be?

Assuming your profile is correct, I'm going to say it's not just seasonal differences.

What it could be? Sorry...but not enough real information for me to venture a guess. If it's a real problem, I'd think it will get worse and/or eventually you will get a code. Which might not be the comment you would want..or like..but any guess I would put forth would only be serving as either potentially misleading you, or planting fears you don't need...."yet".

Good Luck.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat
    Welcome to PriusChat! I've found that with my 2009 Gen II, I've kept accurate records of the miles driven and the gas I've used, and have found that the average over the time I've had the car (since Jan 2014) is around 46mpg. The consumption changes with the seasons since the cas companies change the formulation according to the time of year, and the area you live in, and I have logged the seasonal averages through the year, and also it's my understanding that the Gen II has a flexible bladder in the fuel tank, which might make a difference. So, I think the bottom line is not to rely on just one or two data-points, but do your analysis over a longer period of time! - hope this helps - Wil

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a couple things to consider, low hanging fruit as it were, the health of your 12v battery, and the bladder in your gas tank.

6. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    im in florida as well and have had the same issues on my 05 with 172,000 miles...
    no two tank fulls fill the same way, I have gone 140 miles before the gauge moved off full and I have gone 70 miles before it moves...
    my advise is not to worry and fill up every 300 miles, the difference in MPG isn't a big deal, you have an old car with 200,000 miles its never going to be perfect just drive it until it drops..
    when the main battery dies spend the $500 to have it rebuilt if you like the car if not dump it now but nothing is going to get you over 40 mpg unless its something a lot more expensive and newer

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How are your calculating your MPG?

The electronic milage calculator is notoriously inaccurate, but in my experience it's pretty consistent (consistently optimistic).

Because of the bladder in the tank, the tank "size" can fluctuate with every fill up. So if you're calculating using the traditional method -- miles driven divided by gallons used -- you're not going to get consistent numbers from tank to tank. If you add the total over several tanks, then you can mathematically reduce the margin of error.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …to answer your question: I'm using the total volume of what I put in the tank and total distance driven, averaged over the time I've owned the car for reasons described in other posts and too tedious and boring to repeat here…

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry for the confusion Wil. My question was directed at MBurg. (I should have quoted.)

10. MBurg49

MBurg49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been calculating by hand, resetting the odometer at each fill up and dividing the mileage by gallons filled. The only maintenance that hasn't been done, to my knowledge, is the transmission fluid. I've tried a couple of places but since I don't know when or if it was last done, no one will do it. The only other thing I could think of is replacing the spark plugs and fuel injectors. The bigger issue is that the gauge was fairly accurate, now it isn't, and the mileage has dropped on average between 6-10 mpg in just the last month or two and I can't think of a logical explanation. I have tried resetting the gauge, but couldn't get the procedure to work quite right from the directions I found, and I will be checking the 12v battery on my next day off, just in case.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're not due for plugs until 240k, but it might be worth taking a look. some things that pop up here, and aren't on the maint. schedule are throttle body and maf, pcv, intake manifold, injectors, and other. can also be you're 12v or hybrid battery going south.

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OK, so if you're consistently getting 6-10 mpg less over several tanks , then that eliminates the inconsistent fill-ups due to erratic bladder. (The car's, not yours! :D )