1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG and Power: Driving alone vs. driving packed

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by legoadan, Mar 30, 2014.

1. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wanted to ask some of the more experience owners what kind of ball park numbers they got for these. I understand, 90% of the time I (we, us?) drive our Priuses alone. But for those times when we don't, I'm wondering how much does power and MPG drop.

I drove with my buddies yesterday. I weigh 220 lbs , and my buddies are 200 lbs, 150 lbs and 160 lbs. I was driving the car with 510 lbs more than usual and the car definitely felt slower. It was really late though, and we live in suburban area so we were trying to only use electric. For the most part we suceeded, but I noticed a huge drop in my electric 0-20 mph time.

Anyways, our experiment was short but it sparked my curiosity.

What's your MPG like alone vs. packed car?
    What's your power like alone vs. packed car?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I never try to use electric only, as I prefer good gas mileage. It always costs you extra to regenerate electricity from gasoline.

3. otbiker

otbiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I realize this is debate, but the optimum driving style is different between the C and the lift back. Limited ICE power and battery capacity changes everything. We drive our Ford C Max differently than the Prius C. The C Max runs at least 40% of the time on battery only. Li-ion batteries make a difference I guess.

Anyway, additional weight really taxes the Prius C, with its limited resources.

Not being negative towards the car, but its happier with the driver only, and city driving. Just what it was designed for!

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Extra weight has the largest effect when accelerating (from a stop).
    So it would have the largest impact in stop and go situations.
    It should have little impact when "cruising" at a reasonable speed.

Now......the extra weight would, theoretically, also result in slightly more energy recovered during regen braking but there still would be a net loss for the extra weight.

Making sure your tires are at or slightly above the recommended pressure is important with the extra weight too.

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your MPGs may go down from having a full load, but your efficiency is really going up. Just you in the car at 50MPG gets you 50MPG per person. You plus 3 friends at 47MPG gets you 188MPG per person. (Actual MPGs may vary, of course) That's why carpooling is so great, an average car with 2 people or a truck/SUV with 3 or 4 people is just as efficient per person as a Prius with one person.

coyote303, jonb505, koipond and 2 others like this.
  6. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Okay, when you say it like that that sounds great. Yeah my MPG will go down, but my MPG per person goes way up. I like to think of it that way.

koipond likes this.
  7. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We,ve never measured acceleration and mog on 'packed' vs single driver but you should expect a substantial drop in acceleration because the weight tncreased amost 20%. since you weigh 220 lb try carrying a 435 lb back sack and you get te idea.

8. Shibby

Shibby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I carpool (with two others) two to three days a week and I notice about a 5 mpg difference with passengers.

koipond and legoadan like this.
  9. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ahh okay, thank you. This is what I especially wanted to know.

10. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have use d my Prius C Two to goto a local Wal-Mart that is about 25 miles from me. By myself I get about 52 mpg. When I go with my wife and sister-in-law we get around 66.

hieronymous likes this.
  11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well it is misleading information.
    Unless the two passengers are elephants, that much difference is highly unlikely.
    Extra weight makes a significant difference ONLY during acceleration.......and the hybrid design tends to minimize that.

Maybe the driver pays less attention to efficient driving techniques when other people are in the car.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This can be true, IF you define turning as accelerating sideways and braking as accelerating backwards, otherwise it is false.

Any time there is a change in momentum, weight costs MPG.

13. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've really not noticed much difference in both mpg/power, driving alone in a 110 mile highway stretch or driving with wife+kid+weekend stuff

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK your first one was pretty good but then........you had to get serious. :)

When one has regen braking, the decel actually gains back more with higher weight.
    Not enough to offset the additional energy required to get going again though.

Mark323 likes this.
  15. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    acceleration and decleratio regardless of being from a stop are reductions in mpg.

sure its not from a change in car level; dropping the back end could easily make the fuel level show higer mpg.
    Or it could be better aero. Or a combo.

16. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Deceleration itself does NOT result in increased fuel usage.
    It just does not.

The resulting acceleration back up to speed certainly does though.

17. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

If you are able to get 66 mpg, then those 25 miles must be mostly at speeds between 25 and 55 mph. I would expect mileage to go down, at least a little, with more weight in the car, even if it's only a couple hundred pounds. So I suspect it's a change in your driving that's caused you to get higher mileage with 2 more people on board.

I think many of us tend to drive a bit less erratic with passengers than we might when alone. Especially relatives :)
    It's easy to push the car just a bit harder and think nothing of it when you have a hand or two on the steering wheel to steady you. But passengers don't get that kind of advantage. There's a fine line between the kind of forces present going around a curve in the road that will cause your passengers to lean almost uncomfortably this way or that, but have no effect on the driver because of his hands on the wheel. I suspect that, maybe even subconsciously, you are driving a little smoother and gentler with them in the car, causing an increase in gas mileage. Make any sense?

18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does. (sometimes) If you are braking from a given speed, more weight makes it more likely that you will exceed the limit for regenerative braking and require actual brakes, resulting in a increase in fuel usage.

19. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not sure, but I think Easy Rider just called Shibby's passengers "elephants"! :)

20. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't necessarily make any sense to get better milage with 2 more people on board than when I make the trip myself - yet both times the wife/sister in law have had fun watching the mpg gauge continue to rise from when we leave her apartment. Its quite the joke that we need her in the back seat to get better mpg so thats why we pick her up :) The trip is mostly 35-50 and has an equal amt of up and down hills going both ways so no real advantages there.