1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG around 40 after adding tires...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NickBaker9, Jan 1, 2013.

1. NickBaker9

NickBaker9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    So I have a new 12 volt from eLearnAide, new Continental EcoPlus tires and I'm still only getting around 40 MPG. I live in LA, so there is a lot of start and stop driving and I have a bit of a led foot and kind of rush around. I'm pretty sure unless I drive like a gradma, this is the MPG I'm stuck with. Is that the case?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ProContact tires are great but they are barely LRR so you are about 4mpg lower than if you had bought the Michelin Energy Saver A/S. the ProContact is somewhat comparable to the old Michelin Hydroegde tire in terms of mpg. Read this test.

Tire Test Results : When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

Additionally, new tires always impart lower fuel economy compared to the same tire when worn. They need about 3-4k miles before they are fully broke in. Still, ifyouwant max mpg, switch tires now while you still have the 30day satisfaction guarantee.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Rolling Resistance Part 3: Changes to Expect When Switching from Worn-Out to New Tires

Winter fuel economy pretty much sucks so if you have not experienced summer fuel economy then you really don't have a good idea of what the car is capable of. I would expect a 5mpg gain during summer months depending on how hard you drive the A/C.

If you drive with a lead foot then you'll never achieve EPA. You should still be close during the summer.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tested the battery? new doesn't mean good. what were your mpg's in the past?

4. NickBaker9

NickBaker9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    MPG has always been around 38. Price point on the Continental was why I went with them. Everything else seemed to be much more expensive.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the Bridgestone/Michelin $70 rebate those tires are comparable and offer better fuel economy. U fortunately the ProContact doesn't often last the full warranty life so that makes them comparable to the other two tires at 65,000 mile warranty.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess if you've always gotten 38, then 40 is fine. you might reset the average mpg and try a good long drive on back roads around 30 -40 mph with a light foot, just to see if the car is okay.you should be able to get around 50.

nh7o likes this.
  7. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A;lso in the LA area, not the place to drive for max mpg, and you can see by my fuelly I'm not doing a whole lot better......

8. NickBaker9

NickBaker9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    Well, basically if you drive like a human, you're not going to get great MPG. I like the tires, they were a good price and they are smooth as hell. Can't complain.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    40mpg is not great? If you drive any of the so-called 40mpg non-hybrids like you do this car and you'll be lucky to hit 30mpg average. :)

You just need more seat time and better weather or commute. Sort trips, aggressive driving and winter conditions will kill mpg in any car.

10. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Did you ever test the battery? What are the 3 battery readings? Tire air pressure? Oil weight? All in all, if you drive like you couldn't care less about fuel mileage, 40 mpg is pretty good. I have found to get the best mpg from the car it does take relearning some driving habits.

11. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For a lead foot in los angeles 40 mpg's sounds about right for a gen2. Thats what I got in mine after changing the battery. I tried hypermiling, but it wasnt for me. Too slow, and too many people yelling at me.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i drive like a zombie. tried it in cali, barely escaped with my life.:eek:

F8L likes this.
  13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's usually the case in LA and some places in the Bay Area. The rest of California is zombie friendly. :)

14. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After the factory LRR tires wore out I bought high-performance tires (as in, very sticky). Only went down a few mpg, from 54 to 52 in the summer, 48 to 46 in the winter. I doubt your tires are more than 1 mpg worth of the problem.

BTW, my wife has a lead foot and averages 46 mpg in the winter.

15. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This should be repeated.

I saw the effect myself: I put some non LRR tires on my Prius (wanted more traction than LRRs had to offer) and saw my fuel efficiency dip to 40 mpg for the first 2k miles. Now, over 4k later, I'm back to 45-46 mpg.

Tire wear makes a huge difference!

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    IIRC, OP's 12 volt was toast awhile ago and he replaced it w/an Optima Yellow Top recently.

Yeah, LA driving is not conducive to good FE and his being a lead foot and rushing around doesn't help any. OP should consider grille blocking, better heater management (see Why mileage gets worse in winter | PriusChat) and changing his driving habits, if he wants better FE. If the drives are short, that will kill FE. Not much one can do about that other than making them longer or optimizing the order in which destinations are visited (i.e. going to the furthest point first and then coming back via the closer ones).

There are numerous totally safe and legal techniques and tips at Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums.

17. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Oops, my mistake. Lost track of the thread I guess. Thanks for the other info.