1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mpg change Prius C 2016 to 2017

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Tinklr, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Tinklr

Tinklr New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is a repost from the Prime forum because I posted in the wrong area (sorry).

Does anyone know why the mpg rating for the Prius C in the 2017 model year decreased from a 50 mpg average to 46? This change holds up even after the change in EPAcalculations is accounted for. I can't seem to find why. Feel free to direct me to a previous thread if this has already been discussed.

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the future if you post in the wrong forum, simply click the "Report" button and ask the moderator to move it to the correct; AND, if you really have the Prius C, there is a Forum just for Prius C models.

Tinklr and RCO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would only guess that the new era test is simply different.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a change in the EPA testing method.... IIRC, it was something to do with the rolldown or whatever it's called (basically the part of the equation that accounts for the potential friction due to tires and other things as the car rolls down the road). The coefficient increased I guess so that results in higher resistance thus a drop in fuel economy rating.

The car gets the same mpg as before, it's just the testing. This was my mpg when I test drove a 2012 Prius c through Beverly Hills and in and around L.A. (I recall seeing the Staples Center)

IMG_1820.JPG

Total that day... I think that included other people driving it. I can't remember now.

IMG_1818.JPG

RCO likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't understand this part of the o/p: 'this change holds up, even after the change in EPA calculations is accounted for'.

Prodigyplace likes this.