1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG changed after factory recall fixes

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Jeremy K. Ashley, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jeremy K. Ashley

Jeremy K. Ashley New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2017 Prius IV. I bought the car new in June of 2017. I took the car in for two factory recall fixes about 3 weeks ago. I usually get around 560 miles per tank +-. The last two fill ups I have gotten 440 and 486 miles per tank. My driving habits have not changed at all. Has anyone else had any recall fixes and or noticed a decline in the miles? I'm just at total loss as to why i'm having such a drastic change.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What were the fixes? Do you keep a record of all your fills?

#2 alanclarkeau, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you set tire pressures higher than Toyota spec ( per driver's door jamb sticker)? If so, they might have brought them back to spec: not a big factor, but some.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you’re referring only to safety recalls and service campaigns (as opposed to service bulletins), there have only been three for model year 2017 Prius cars sold in the U.S., and none of these does anything that would be expected to affect fuel economy: J0T is wrapping a wire harness with tape, J0R is reprogramming the intelligent clearance sonar, and 17R2 is setting the air pressure in the spare tire.

Was any other work done at the same time? How is the work described on the repair order?

Also, has your weather been colder lately? On my car, I’ve noticed that the engine runs more when heating is needed, even if the temperature is just a few degrees cooler than the air conditioning set point, so the fuel economy suffers a bit.

dbf, Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Most likely tyre pressure changes or just the colder weather affecting fuel economy. I read somewhere that in the US the fuel blend also changes around this time which can reduce economy.

krmcg likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this complaint comes too frequently after factory service, no solution unfortunately

krmcg likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never seen it get worse - I've had improvements, particularly with my FORDs which they'd plug into the laptop each service, and it would re-map things sometimes when it loaded the latest software.

I'm hoping he posts records of his last few fills - distance travelled with a tank is too vague to assess.

8. Jtimc7

Jtimc7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive a 2017 Prius that I’ve had for 13 months. I’ve only put 5100 miles on it. Back in October I took the car in for a recall check concerning the engine wire harness. They merely checked things and according to them did nothing to the vehicle. Immediately following this my mpg has dropped from the low-mid 60’s down to the low-mid 50’s?
    Tire pressure’s have remained constant.
    Any thoughts on this?

9. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Most likely tyre pressure changes or just the colder weather affecting fuel economy. I read somewhere that in the US the fuel blend also changes around this time which can reduce economy.

Deja vu?

10. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Everytime my wife gets a tire rotation at her local Toyota dealership they seem to deflate here tires. I tested this theory before the last service. I inflated her tires to 38psi on all four corners and when I checked it at cold temp it was 28 psi on each corner.

SM-N960U1 ?

11. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Even when I request them to leave the tire air pressure alone, they insist on messing it up. I just know now that I have to fix it the next day...

12. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What's wrong with these people ?

SM-N960U1 ?

13. startvlr

startvlr New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was getting about 530 per tank. After getting recalls accomplished,started getting about 460 per tank. I will never buy another Toyota again. Should of purchased a Tesla.

14. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You sure the 17" wheels didn't do that ?
    Put the 15" wheels back on and calculate. Be sure to pump the tires to 38 psi at cold also or more if you feel comfortable.

SM-N960U1 ?

krmcg likes this.
  15. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you have a very efficient vehicle like the Prius it doesn't take much to reduce the MPG numbers. ...a little less air pressure in the tires, a change in outside air temp. requiring more use of the heater, and change in gas formulation from summer to winter mix, larger wheel diameter, etc.