1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG changes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rob_z11, May 8, 2014.

1. rob_z11

rob_z11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have owned Prius 2013 for almost a year now, and it is base Prius with minimal options. I am really happy with it so far, but as I have stated looking at all the mods and rims, I begin to think that I do need some of those to improve the quality of the ride.

So I am sure this questions have been raised and answered. If I go from my stock 15 inch rim/tires to 17 inch rim/tires to go with it, how much impact it would be in my MPG?

2. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm curious about this also. I want to go with 18's and lower it, but I'm afraid it will hamper the mpgzzzzzz.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have read 2-3 mpg for 17's, not sure on 18's.

4. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can minimize the MPG hit when going with a larger diameter wheel by finding the lightest wheel you can and installing a good LRR tire. Some people have gone with a 205 width tire instead of a 215 when they step up to a 17 inch wheel, which also helps to keep MPG up. A heavier wheel and non LRR tire combination installed on a Prius (or any car) will cause a drop in fuel mileage, there's no way around that. And try your best to match the OEM overall tire diameter with your new tire.

5. Sipngasinmichigan

Sipngasinmichigan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am also looking to upgrade from the 15" to 17" but I'm afraid of the loss in MPG as well. What is the current weight of the Prius wheels, 15lbs? I'm just afraid that the wheels I like are around 20lbs, so that would really be adding 20lbs all around.