1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG Decline/Bleed Overnight?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Metrolens, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, first time poster. I recently bought a 2005 Prius Gen 2, and love the car so far.

The car drives beautifully and seems to be in fantastic condition. However, there is one thing that troubles me.

If I park the car for the night, and on the "Consumption" page it reads, say, 49.0 mpg when I shut it off, the next morning when I start the car again, the MPG will have declined somewhat, to say 48.2 MPG. This seems to happen every time I park the car overnight. If I park it for two days, the MPG count will have dropped even further, to say, 47.6 MPG. Note that these lower MPG numbers appear immediately upon starting the car, without using any gas.

What is going on? Is this normal behavior? I live in SoCal, and it's been 85-90 degrees every day, so it's not like the car is struggling with winter temperatures.

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you have the original 12v battery? The 12v battery does not crank the car so you have little warring of a marginal/weak battery.

Strange things happen with a weak 12v battery.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks xpcman and cwerdna, I will do that test. However I have no trouble starting the car; has a depleted 12v battery caused the MPG counter to drop overnight, with the car being completely off and left alone?

Note: I've gotten 50 and even up to 60 mpg from this car on 25-30 mile trips, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the efficiency of the car. It's just when the car is left alone overnight, I get this "mileage bleed."

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the Prius, the 12 volt battery does not start the engine, so you will NEVER have any symptoms like that of a low 12 volt on a regular car (e.g. slow cranking, starter clicking and not able to turn the engine, etc.)

There is continual parasitic loss when the Prius is parked. If the battery is bad, its voltage will drop significantly after being left overnight, even w/no load.

6. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, good to know. But, has this ever been known to cause the MPG computer to revise down its previous tally? Does anyone have an explanation for that behavior?

In other words, I understand the logic behind a bad 12v battery having parasitic loss overnight, and the voltage thus being lower, which might cause my subsequent driving session to truly give me worse MPG, because the battery is weaker and thus the hybrid system is not operating well.

But this seems a little different. The moment I press the "Power On" switch, the MPG I see is instantly lower than it was the night before.

So maybe the question becomes, is the state of the 12v battery, or the hybrid battery, somehow factored into the MPG the Prius is reporting?

7. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A bad 12v battery can cause all sorts of strange happenings with the MFD read-outs. I suffered with strange happenings one being really bad MPG readings (the car always started) for about 4 months before figuring out the cause. After getting a recommendation from another Prius owner on the battery I found an Optima at Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 11 and I haven't had a problem since. Because the Prius battery is so small I figure replacing it ever 3 - 4 years is a must.

If you want though you could do actual MPG calculations based on your fuel usage and miles traveled by keeping a log every time you fill-up and see if it is substantially different from the car's display.

8. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Ken, I will look into the Optima if it seems my battery is weak. And I'm keeping a manual log with my gasoline consumption/mileage as you suggest.

I'm still hoping to hear from other forum members about this, to positively identify the problem.

And I have a hard time believing mine is the only Prius that does this. When everyone else parks their Prius for the night, does your MPG readout remain exactly the same the next morning when you power on your Prius?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably something most folks don't even notice. perhaps this will get a few to track it and see.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suspect a small pin-hole in the odometer and possibly a loss of blinker fluid too. :p

Ok seriously I've got no idea, this is a weird one. :confused:

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that is odd. I will have to notice if that is happening. Other than the windows, radio presets, and some engine ECU data, what else is lost with removal of 12V? Maybe someone could confirm if the MPG value is saved in flash memory, or is lost with the rest when the 12V is disconnected for a while. If the value is indeed corrupted by low 12V, I would expect random junk, rather than a cumulative gradual decline.

12. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok. So I ran the test for the 12v battery using the Maintenance Mode instructions from above. Here are the results:

1. Pressed "Vehicle Signal Check" in ACC mode: 12.2v (low; should be 12.6v)
    2. With AirCon + Headlights + Rear Defrost On: 10.7v (low; should be 11.3v)
    3. In IGN-OFF mode (two presses of "Power" with no brake), nothing extra turned on: 11.9v (low; should be above 12v)
    4. In "Ready" (Engine Running), nothing extra turned on: 14.0v (good; should be 14v)

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok that battery is definitely at the end of it's service life, the load test reading of 10.7V is too low. While it may or may not be the source of this particular issue, you should replace it as soon as possible.

BTW. Metrolens, could you please do one more test. With the Prius in Ig-on mode without any other loads (light or fans etc) on, what voltage does it indicate? BTW, you get to Ig-on mode from acc-mode by pressing the power button one more time without the brake pedal depressed. This info will help other members know what to expect (in comparison with the other readings).:)

14. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Uart. Actually I already did that test in #3 above but called it IG-OFF by mistake. I was running at 11.9v.

So now the question becomes, does using an Optima battery void the warranty on the Prius Hybrid components? I still have a lot of years and miles left on my warranty for that.

15. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another thought - could the MPG bleed I'm seeing have something to do with the fuel bladder having a leak of some kind? There isn't fuel leaking from my car, visibly; so it would have to be evaporating.

This seems highly unlikely to me, but would explain why the MPG number would drop overnight while parked; literally there is less fuel in the tank, so the computer would recalculate its MPG tally based on that lower amount of fuel.

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok yeah I missed that part. 11.9 at Ig-on is not great, but I don't think it's bad enough to cause any real problems.

Also, I don't think it's a slow leak in the tank. The MPG is calculated from the estimated fuel injected, not directly from tank measurements. What sort of mileage are you measuring the MPG over. If the number of miles is low then the calculated mpg is more volatile. Perhaps it's just incorporating data from the end of the previous trip that it hadn't had time to update last time the car was powered off. Ok that's kind of clutching at straws, but it's the only logical thing I can think of.

My Prius displays "liters per 100 km" so it's much less sensitive to small changes. Even if mine was doing something like that I'd never be able to tell because at 4.2 L/100k the smallest observable jump would require a 2.4% change (that's equiv to more then one full MPG for you). :)

17. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again uArt. I checked the paperwork of the car, and as far as I can tell, the last time the aux battery was replaced was in Jan 2009. So that's over 3.5 years. Which is consistent with my needing a new battery, right?

Also to answer your question - the number of miles it's calculating the MPG for is indeed low. However I observed the same behavior when there were more miles on the previous tank. But the dip was less, because the denominator was of course larger.

I don't think the behavior is explained by what I'll call your "late data" theory, because it seems the MPG tally will dip more if the car is left for longer. I left it for 2-3 days without driving once, and the MPG had dropped 2x-3x more than it would have if it'd been left for only one day.

Also - can anyone answer my question about whether installing an Optima battery somehow voids the Hybrid Parts warranty? And is an Optima battery actually markedly better than the Toyota battery? This is a critical bit of info.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok that really is weird then. I wonder if a leaky fuel injector could explain it? Does your oil level increase instead of decrease over time, and your oil smell like gasoline?

Though even with a leaky injector I wouldn't expect the leaked fuel to be "metered" so the Prius shouldn't even know about it to include in the calculations? I think things like a fuel leak would eventually get factored into the MPG calcs via the long term "historical data", but that shouldn't cause immediate effects in the way you're noticing. So I'm stumped - back the the pin-hole in the odometer theory I guess. :confused:

19. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was just informed by a dealer that it might void the warranty on my hybrid battery/parts, if I were to install a non-Toyota 12v battery. So that might answer that. Can anyone confirm this?

I was also quoted a price of $340 parts and labor for the new 12v battery by this dealer. Is it me, or is this a total rip-off?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had a toyota original parts battery installed in my 04 by my local mechanic for $200. plus $60. labor. as for warranty, they would have to prove the non toyota battery somehow harmed the defective part. unlikely at best.