1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG Decline/Bleed Overnight?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Metrolens, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bisco, so that was $260 total? I had another dealer just quote me $300 total, so that's not too bad I guess.

I called Toyota Factory Warranty, who told me the following:

-Installing a non-Toyota 12v battery (i.e. Optima) in my Prius would void the Hybrid warranty (150k miles/10 years in CA).
    -Having a non-Toyota dealer mechanic install a Toyota battery would void the Hybrid warranty.

Any thoughts on that?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes $260. total. i don't see how having someone else change the battery could void the warranty. did they refer you to the wording in the warranty booklet? maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in here.

3. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yes, my thought would be that the Toyota person was making that up. Ask him to show you the clause in the warranty that confirms his statement.
    You can then inform him that what he's stating is a violation of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

4. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update - brought the car to the dealer and had then install a new Toyota 12v battery. Total was $317 with tax. I figured it wasn't so much more expensive than my mechanic, so it made sense to just have the dealer do it.

I'll post again after seeing whether the "MPG bleed" still happens...

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks!

6. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good news. When I parked the car for the night after the new battery install, the MPG counter read 50.6 MPG. This morning on start, it read 50.6 MPG. This is especially encouraging, because the new battery install reset my MPG computer to zero, meaning there were only 14 miles driven when I parked it last night. This means the 50.6 MPG number is still very volatile; so in theory, even a slight MPG bleed would have greatly affected the reported 50.6 MPG this morning.

I will continue to keep an eye on these numbers for a few more days, and post results again, because it would seem to be a very good bit of info to confirm.

7. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, after having closely observed the "MPG bleed" behavior of my Prius over the 11 days since my new 12v battery was installed, I can say that the problem has entirely disappeared. No more MPG bleed happening. The MPG number exactly matches at night parking / next morning starting. And even spanning 2 days of having been parked.

So, from my perspective:
    MPG Bleed = get a new 12v battery

Thanks again to one and all.

8. ivajos5

ivajos5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks metrolens for the info I got the same problem MPG bleed over nite and I can get an average of 35 mpg and I tried everything even every suggestion glade tire air filter clean air flow sensor etc... and nothing the only thing I didn't do was change the 12v battery now this last option to do. Thanks I will keep you inform of any change in the MPG change.