1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG declining to a disapointing 44 MPG

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by RAI, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAI

RAI New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We own a 2012 Prius v (lowercase v). About a year ago we noticed a drop in our MPG. It was at or below 5.2 L/100 Km (54 MPG) for the longest time then it dropped to 5.8 L/100 Km (49 MPG.) We are currently getting 6.3 L/100 km (44.8 MPG.)

Is anyone having the same issue? Has anyone had any luck getting Toyota to fix the declining MPG issue. We get the same rote answer to our concern "it is the weather, the temperature, our driving habits, the unusually high winds or it is within specifications."

When we purchase the vehicle the selling specification was 4.5L/100 Km (63 MPG)

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I still wonder if it should be made compulsory to enter Location in the profile. Then we know where people are, what stats and figures they are or are not using and focus the response accordingly.

Merkey and cwerdna like this.
  4. RAI

RAI New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We own a 2012 Prius v. About a year ago we noticed a drop in our gas mileage. It was at or below 5.2 L/100 Km for the longest time then it dropped to 5.8 L/100 Km. We are currently getting 6.3 L/100 km

Is anyone having the same issue? Has anyone had any luck getting Toyota to fix the declining MPG issue? We get the same rote answer to our concern "it is the weather, the temperature, our driving habits, the unusually high winds or it is within specifications."

When we purchase the vehicle the selling specification was 4.5L/100 Km

Not to mislead anyone I have only used what the car display L/100km

We are disappointed and upset that our 31% drop in efficiency is not being taken seriously by Toyota.

5. RAI

RAI New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Why was my third and second post deleted?

We own a 2012 Prius v. About a year ago we noticed a drop in our gas mileage. It was at or below 5.2 L/100 Km for the longest time then it dropped to 5.8 L/100 Km. We are currently getting 6.3 L/100 km

Is anyone having the same issue? Has anyone had any luck getting Toyota to fix the declining MPG issue? We get the same rote answer to our concern "it is the weather, the temperature, our driving habits, the unusually high winds or it is within specifications."

When we purchase the vehicle the selling specification was 4.5L/100 Km

Not to mislead anyone I have only used what the car display L/100km

We are disappointed and upset that our 31% drop in efficiency is not being taken seriously by Toyota.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And not answering the questions asked in the thread and repeating the same posts two or three times isn't helping either.

So you're disappointed in a 31% drop in efficiency. I'm disappointed you're not answering the people on here who've asked questions to try and help you! I wonder if your Toyota dealer had a similar response?

Silver bullit, cwerdna and Merkey like this.
  7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It is probably because you are repeating the same thing over and OVER and just cluttering up the thread with useless repetition.......while NOT responding to the questions posed in an attempt to give you some good information.

It also could be that the forum software in doing it to you; sometimes posts double and sometimes they don't post at all.

Your situation is not unique. There are multiple threads on here about "poor gas mileage".
    One was even posted as a link in a reply to this thread.
    Please spend some effort and look at the previous discussions.........and then come back here with specific questions.

cwerdna likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are these imperial gallons or something? 44 u.s. gallons sounds about right for the v.

can you give more detail? tyre pressure, gasoline, 12v battery test, mileage, many things affect mpg's.

9. RAI

RAI New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge of how a chat works. I was trying to start a new thread by taking out the MPG conversion which caused some confusion. I was not trying to ask the same question three times.

The level of hostile responses is somewhat suspicious. All but one post seem to have a high level of interest to discredit the originator. It brings up questions of the legitimacy of this Chat. I wonder if there is a hidden agenda.

I would be very interested in communicating via email to others who have a similar issue or experience with Toyota regarding dropping gas mileage.

Not sure how to add in an email as the thread gets deleted with an email address in the text.

my email is alan period Irwin at sympatico period ca no spaces. You will have to put in the correct punctuation for the written words.

10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is not a "chat" Alan.

It is a public FORUM where people leave questions and comments and others respond with their ideas, experiences and opinions.

I, for one, have a reasonable expectation that new users will look around at least a little bit to get familiar with how things work before they just jump in with both feet.

Apparently you don't agree with that method of operation.

There is a lot of information already on here. READING those previous discussions is pretty simple, painless and probably would give you information that is useful too.

It seems rather rude and disrespectful to criticize the new crowd that you have just tried to join.
    Not a very friendly attitude.

Good luck getting help.

cwerdna likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you would find it helpful to provide more detail here and answer questions. dropping mpg's is not usually simple or black and white. you will find many friendly and helpful people if you just give it a chance. all the best!(y)

cwerdna likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Your complete lack of response to the legitimate questions that have been asked of you, makes us think the same of you.

Hundreds of new members have previously asked similar questions, so Cwerdna wrote up the questionaire linked in post #2 to help make sure most of the likely problems were addressed. If you cannot reply to any of that, then don't expect much friendly help here.

jhinsc and cwerdna like this.
  13. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bring the popcorn if someone else brings Cheetos. ;)

14. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't despair. Whilst our v is great normally, if my wife only does 900m each way trip to school it can sit at 6 to 8 l/100km. I finally did a sanity check in my 2012 yaris the other day and I got 14 l/100km one way and 10 l/100km for the whole trip. Prius v wins again!

15. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate. Hey Rai, try doing a search on this forum for "Bad gas mileage", or, "Poor MPG", or, "Dropped MPG", you get the idea. The search box is in the upper right hand corner. I bet if you search those word phrases, you will find a bunch of info and ideas on what might help you get better MPG. Our First fill up on our NEW Prius 3 calculated out to only 41.6 mpg, and even the dash stated the same thing. But for us,, living in the very hilly Central Coastal California area where its always up, or down a hill, I am pretty pleased with that. Our previous 2013 Dodge Dart window sticker stated it should have gotten 27 city, 31 average, and 37 highway, yet it would average 22 - 26 all the time with 75% highway & 25% city driving. So your location of driving can make a huge difference. Plus driving style too. Sounds like others said temperature and weather can be a big factor. Have you checked your tire pressure too???

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Because you posted at least one duplicate thread about the same issue. The moderators likely spotted that and deleted them or merged them w/this one. Please don't post dupes. It's pointless.
    Yes. Please answer Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat in this thread.

Without it, we have little to go and can't provide any meaningful help. I'm unwilling to help those who can't help themselves. Prior to the questionnaire, I grew very tired of people posting mileage complaints w/scant or no details (like the OP's). I and others would spent a lot of time and energy writing a reply, asking for details, posting speculation (due to lack of details), etc. often to to have the OP (original poster) to never return.

Or, often, there was WAY too much back and forth (person A, asks a question, we wait for a reply, person B, C and D speculate, E asks another question, etc.) It wasn't efficient and was frankly a waste of time on everyone's part.

For all we know, the OP's trips have gotten much shorter (short drives kill mileage), the weather has gotten much colder (hurts mileage), has changed to tires that have much higher rolling resistance than stock (also hurts mileage), has underinflated tires (take a guess), has overfilled oil, etc. But until the questions get answered, we have no idea.

If you want help, please answer the questions. There are many folks willing to help. The reply might even be "yep, that's totally normal for your driving conditions and trips."

17. RAI

RAI New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty much what I thought. Propaganda from our friends at Toyota. Pretending to be a bunch of helpful people. This chat is only interested in hiding issue by confusing the issue - so unlike Toyota whose philosophy was to expose and clarify issue.

I have a 1999 4Runner which still runs great. I had a Echo 400,000 Km. Stick shift love it. Now I have a Prius 2012 totally unhappy with it.

I can't believe that Toyota USA and Toyota Canada would stoop so low as to hide behind a a PriusCHAT. Yep CHAT

This is really low. Dealers acting as real consumers sad sad day. For the few of you who are legite please accept my apology. These words were in no way intended to the you the Good Samaritan.

For the Wolfs hiding in sheep skins shame on you. Wolf in sheeps skins shame on you. Totally unnecessary. Sham on you.

People who have read my email and have similar concern will not be fooled by your jumble and twisting words. It is very transparent and clear to the reader who is interested in fact finding.

People need to stand up against such abuse of free speech. Shame on Toyota USA and Toyota Canada Shame on you for such a low move.

I did read the pevious post. What a load of crap it was - it might be this or might be that just a load of crap to mix people up. How about a simple suggestion take it to your dealer ship and share with us what they said.

It just seal my commitment to expose this issue that Toyota is trying to hide. Thanks for providing me the resolve to carry my fight on against Toyota and the faulty Prius. When it is all done. I will come back to this Chat to share the outcome.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What a ridiculous accusation! I am not and have never been employed by Toyota nor any car dealer. I suspect that's true of virtually everyone one here. There are a couple Toyota corporate employees who I have personally met who post under the handle Prius Team.

We're trying trying to "confuse" or hide anything. We need to FIRST establish some baseline information. We have virtually none right now, from you.

I can only guess you're in Canada since you mentioned metric consumption figures and what I believe are useless (to Americans) Imperial gallons.

If you'd like some background info about the US EPA test along with inflated Canadian mileage test figures, see below:
    Car and Driver: The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates | PriusChat
    Canadian vs. American fuel efficiency: Why the big discrepancy?  - AutoNorth - Auto Industry News - Canada

FAQs - Fuel Consumption Program - Environmental Programs - Environment - Transport Canada

This forum, namely, Priuschat is NOT run by Toyota in any way shape nor form. Your anger is misdirected.

Again, please calm down. If you want help, we need more info from you, via the questionnaire. I am not personally willing to spend time speculating and going back and forth on questions until you've answered Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat in this thread.

What's on the Monroney sticker is not a promise that a vehicle will get that mileage at all. It's simply the result of the EPA test cycles and calculations, most of which aren't even validated by the EPA itself.

Car and Driver: The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates | PriusChat discusses what goes into the EPA test.

Heck, even Hyundai screwed up, resulting in inflated figures (FAQs for Affected Models & Compensation | Hyundai MPG Information). Ford basically took advantage of a loophole and claimed they didn't even test the C-Max Hybrid, and instead put on a higher figure via the "general label rule": Ford: We didn't overstate C-Max Hybrid mpg, low numbers were a surprise.

4.5L/100 Km = 52.27 miles per US gallon = 62.77 miles per Imperial gallon (pretty darn useless and meaningless to Americans)

Google makes for a great unit converter for the units we use here: use Google to easily convert confusing/meaningless (to you) mileage amounts | PriusChat.

I do see the above L/100 km figure at TOYOTA CANADA: Language , which again, is a useless inflated Canadian mileage test value. I doubt the "average" (non-hypermiler) Prius v driver in the US and esp. Canada would regularly achieve that combined mileage.

42 miles per US gallon (Compare Side-by-Side) EPA combined value is more realistic. That translates into 50.44 miles per Imperial gallon or 5.6 L/100 km (also meaningless to Americans).

fuzzy1 and Merkey like this.
  19. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Relax, Toyota isn't pulling the wool over anyone's head, this forum has no motive to deceive you

Dis connect the 12v battery for 5 minutes, now re-connect it, start over, there's no conspiracy, it's a car, it takes gas, less than some more than other's.

Merkey likes this.
  20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

RAI - thanks for the good laugh! :LOL:

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  21. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Is it possible that somehow your mileage display units got changed?

Myself, I don't trust the darn thing, keep it on the ever changing setting just for giggles, compute my mileage based on gallons used and miles driven after every tank fill up using fuelly.com (US, sorry about that. Wish we were metric but that is another discussion.) and don't value any one tank fill reading because the fuel shutoff at any pump can be different from day to day or pump to pump. I look at the average over lots of fill ups. I do just about US EPA figures on average depending on how, when and where I drive.

22. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    alrighty then.:whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.