1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG drastic fluctuations driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Jamie Moore, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just bought my second prius with 153k miles on it, it has 157k on it now, it's a 2010, pretty sure it's the base model. I know it's not a plug in. My MPG is going whack.. It goes back and forth from 50 mpg in the city (at all times aside from this issue arising) to 30-40 mpg average and. My driving habits are very disciplined, I am constantly using the gliding technique..

I had my hybrid battery stress tested (condition was good) at a specialized shop, and I had my 12 volt battery tested, they said it needs to be replaced, which I don't think they were trying to up-sell or anything because they don't even replace the 12v batteries at their shop.. $150-200 fifor the 12v which I will be doing as soon as I have the funds available.

I also noticed that it seems whenever I'm getting the 30-40 average mpg, when I try to use the glide technique, it seems much harder to do if not impossible, so I don't know if the soon to be bad 12v might have something to do with the hybrid battery communicating with the engine/computer causing the main issue or what.. I'm really hoping it's just that the 12v in the rear needs to be replaced, but I'm completely lost.. maybe all the computer readings are wrong and my mpg isn't changing.. I'm clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you <3

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

best thing to do is calculate your mpg's at the pump, and track them. you can join fuelly and see how you compare to others.
    you can test the 12v with a twenty dollar meter.

pulse and glide are more difficult to do in gen 3, as toyota made use of it in the computers to aid mpg's.

keep an eye on your oil level, some 2010's are thirsty. you may want to consider cleaning the throttle body, maf, egr circuit and intake manifold.

have you checked the air filters, and plugged the vin into the toyota owners website for service history and recalls?

all the best!(y)

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Critical information you left out is age of battery.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you! I'll be sure to check out the recalls and test my mpg at the pump. Thank you for all the advice!

EDIT: I just checked my VIN number and there does not appear to be any recalls as of now.

I know it's the original hybrid battery..so 9 years old I think. I don't know if this is the original 12v or not so I'm really unsure about the age for that one.

#4 Jamie Moore, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    bisco likes this.