1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG on highway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Jum, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Jum

Jum New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I'm a new Prius driver and as many have concerns about the fuel economy. I got a 2008 prius touring from a garage, recently serviced and warrantied, but after reading a lot on this site I do not fine the same figures.

What concerns me the most is the highway driving, where I get 35 MPG (33 calculated after filling the tank). After reading some advices I inflated my tires to 42 PSI front 39 rear (was around 28), cut heating or AC, and try to apply different driving habits, but got it up to 37 MPG only on the highway (see pictures)

I usually set the speed at 72 mph through the columbia gorge (portland-hood river). It's moderately hilly and usually windy. In both ways the fuel consumption at stabilized speeds seems to stay around this value.

The second concern I have is that the ICE always turns on over 15MPH. I can't stay in electric mode over it.

So the question I have: is this something I have to worry about? or should I investigate (battery, spark plugs,...).

Here's the questionnaire

- Have you read This Thead Yet?
    Yes

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)
    35 by computer, 33 manually

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why?
    Expect 40mpg stabilized on highway based on readings

- What are the approximate outside air temps?
    50F

- How long are your trips?
    1h15min

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?
    10% city, 90% highway

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location in your profile)
    Oregon

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)
    Hills

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)
    No

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)
    Unknown

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?
    Alignment done, drive perfectly straight

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).
    Falken sincera 250 AS 195 65 r16

- What are your tire pressures?
    42f/39r

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)
    2004 Pontiac vibe GT manual. 25 mpg winter (studded tires), 28 mpg summer

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?
    Cruise control, light braking.

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?
    no

- Are you driving using D or B mode?
    D

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?
    AC off, 68F

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?
    new car

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're driving the same (2008 Touring) and one thing jumped out at me right away. Don't use the cruise control in the hills and mountains; the uphills while using cruise control will crush the gas mileage. Using your foot will allow you to get a feel for the car and find various sweet spots that are more efficient than cruise. As an example, while climbing the Cajon Pass locally I get over 30 mpg with my foot and maintaining 68 to 70 mph while using the cruise control at the speed limit of 70 mph only yields about 23 mpg.

I'm not familiar with the Falken tires; are they a LRR tire? That could be hurting the mpg too.

Weak and imbalanced batteries can hamper gas mileage. Our cars are now 10 years old. The 12v is overdue for replacement if it wasn't done by the previous owner.

When you pull out of the driveway first thing in the morning does the HV power screen drop down to two or one bars (the purple range) quickly? That's a sign the HV battery has a cell or more out of balance and the battery may need reconditioning. I'm assuming you're not getting any warning lights that would indicate a cell that has failed already.

davecook89t likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    SINCERA SN250 A/S TIRE | Falken Tire

Does not mention being Low Rolling Resistance.

Oregon will be colder this time of year than the Prius likes, should improve in July. I got better mileage until 85 F.

You do not mention rain, but I was born in Oregon and and I would expect a jump when it quits raining (July to September)

srellim234 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

5. Jum

Jum New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank for your answers!

I'll try to not use cruise control on hills, I feel sometimes it's revving a lot. I always drove manual cars and never used cruise control, but read it was recommended for the prius.

The tires are not LRR, being rated M+S i guess they're not designed for this, so they are probably not helping for the mileage.

When I start the car, the HV battery is always in the 80% range, goes to the green bars quickly. I haven't seen it drop below 40/50%.

So I guess the combination of new driver + not efficient tires + cold weather + hilly terrain + wind explains the low mileage. I'll try to run the 12V battery test to be sure.

The car has 112k miles. I'm the second owner, but it's a rebuilt title, it went through an insurance auction.

srellim234 likes this.
  6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It sounds like your HV battery is in pretty good shape. I'm inclined to think the mpg problem is a combination of things. Cruise control on uphills, tires, the weather factors JimboPalmer cites and possibly the 12v.

Do you know why the car went to auction? Was it something that could also be affecting the current performance?

7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the fuelly average for 2008 Prii, and you are on the low end. For your 2004 Vibe, you were much closer to the average shown here. So, I'm leaning towards something needed adjusting from a mechanical POV.

My mpg doesn't deviate much from flat terrain to mountain driving, as long as I'm driving solo. Carrying extra weight and passengers will take it's toll on hills, but the worst I've gotten on my Gen3 on mountain type highway driving was 46 mpg going 72 with an extra 500 lbs. Driving solo, I'll average close to 55 mpg (Both the 46 mpg and 55 mpg is as per the tripometer. Hand calculation will show and average of 2 mpg less.)

8. Jum

Jum New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The data is really interesting, that confirms my doubts about the mileage I get. I am not really careful about how I drive the vibe, knowing the GT version has a really high revving engine. I tried to be more careful with the prius. I still save around 15$ per fill up for the same distance, but I hoped I could get better.

The car was in a involved in a front crash, they replaced the left fender, hood and headlight. The bumper and radiator were not touched. It seems it was pretty minor and only visible on close inspection. I'll try to see if the wheels are rubbing anything but I doubt it.

The car was auctioned in november so maybe the 12V battery got hurt by sitting still. But besides that the seller inspected everything and warranties it, so I think if there's something wrong it's not obvious.

9. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This. Most auction cars sit for 6 months+. My Honda Element that I bought from an auction had a completely dead battery (See my rebuild thread here if interested - http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155905). Also, usually the grease on all of the various bearings and joints gets moved around and protects cars that driven regularly. When they're not greased up, the get corrosion which will cause more friction until it wears off. Also, tires that sit for many months develop flat spots. Also if it's parked in a dirt field, the dirt in the air will get into all of the fluids in the car. Each one of these adds a bit of friction. That being said, go to a local auto parts store and get a free battery test to start.

MelonPrius and srellim234 like this.
  10. Jum

Jum New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So here are the result of the diagnostic. The car sat there in the cold since last sunday (it's been snowing in Portland and less than 30F).

Yesterday I moved the car to get another parking spot, less than 1 min. Upon starting, the battery was 80%. When I stopped it, two bars were left. This morning, the HV battery was at 0%.

I ran the diagnostic, and it showed the 12v battery was sitting at 11.4V, with HV at 0. When putting the engine on ready, it jumped to14.1 V.

Is all of that normal, or does that mean my 12V battery is dying or beyond recovery?

Attached Files:

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your 12 volt battery is discharged, if you leave the car in Ready for an hour and it still is under 12.5 volts the next morning, then it needs replacement.

I have no experience with a dead HV battery but the bars moving rapidly to the other end, does not bode well.

srellim234 likes this.
  12. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Because it affects so many other things in a fairly serious manner I would replace that 12v ASAP.

I experienced the rapidly fluctuating bars on the screen as well. They indicate the cells are imbalanced and at least one is on the verge of failing if you're not getting error messages already. An HV battery conditioning is in order. Whether you accomplish it with "mass balancer" like the Prolong system (my choice) or on an individual cell charger (much cheaper but more difficult) is up to you but I would do that ASAP too.

If you can't (or don't want) to pop for the Prolong system you can try to find someone in your area who already has one and will let you borrow theirs or let you use theirs cheaply.. Too bad we're so far away from each other or you could use mine. Then all you would have to buy is the wiring harness for it.

13. Jum

Jum New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried the 12V again this afternoon, after my 60 miles commute this morning. The battery sits now at 12V, and goes down to 11.7V with accessories on. That's better than friday but still seems under the threshold for a good battery.

I tried to talk to the garage that sold me the car, as I have a warranty on it, but I believe until I have an error message they won't do anything about it.

Beside low mileage what is the risk with a low battery? Unable to start? Would it throw codes before reaching this point?

And as a side question, is there a way to push start a prius? I've always had manual gearbox cars, I wouldn't know how to deal with an automatic. I remember I couldn't start a manual car with a push start button either (renault laguna)

As for the HV battery, I mistakenly thought it read 0% when I put it in diagnostic mode, I don't think there's a problem with it. Thank you for the help anyway.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes and no.

the 12v fires the computers and relays, the hv battery starts the engine. there is no mechanical connection to push start the car, although toyota markets sks as push to start.

if you don't want to replace the 12v, grab a cheap jump pack for emergency.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might try resetting the mpg meter, and going for a 20 mile drive under varied conditions to see what mpg's it returns, vs your hilly commute.

16. Jum

Jum New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll get a jump starter then. I'd prefer not to invest in a new 12V battery, if there's a chance to get it changed by the shop I got it from.

As for fuel economy, here's a really approximate reading based on the yellow bar reading, for what it's worth

Short trip in city (5-10 min) <25 mpg
    urban highway @ 65 mph > 40 mpg
    Flat highway at 75 mph = 35-37 mpg
    country road at 55-60 mph = 44 mpg
    city when engine is hot, after highway = 45-50 mpg

17. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat, and Congratulations on your choice! I have a 2009 Gen II (touring) and one of the things I noticed which can be a bit confusing, particularly if you're not aware of it is the dreaded "bladder effect" - which is due to the tank in the Gen II containing a flexible liner inside the fuel tank which, depending on the ambient temp (time of year) and amount of fuel already in the tank, can give weird results, particularly if you (as I am) are computing overall gas mileage, (i.e. from fill-up to fill-up). Everything evens out with time, but it can be a bit confuserserating, particularly if you're only putting in one or two gallons for each fill-up! I bought my 2009 used, four years ago, and the overall average for that time is around 44MPG (from fuely.com), last fill-up was 35.6, and best ever was 69.5 (!!!) Go figure! :eek:

My advice to you is, relax, don't worry, be happy and enjoy the peace and quiet! (stopping at a red-light and having the ICE turn off is still my favourite part of the PriusExperience!)

srellim234 likes this.
  18. Jum

Jum New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! that's a good advice. I really enjoy the car, more than I thought I would. I'm mostly worried because I had a lot of horror stories with used cars.

I filled it back up, 33.8 mpg calculated vs 34 indicated in the computer, seems precise. I repeated the measurement of the battery value at various times, it seems that it's always just under 11.9V without load. I'll try to check with a multimeter to confirm. It seems that the consequence is having the ICE turn on more often to load it even if not needed. It doesn't really stay off for long at stoplights.

After talking with the person that sold me the car, it doesn't seem that he will do anything unless the car throws a code. Even then I don't even know if the battery would be covered under the warranty. And I'm not sure if I should change it myself. So far the car behaves correctly, no weird window or radio behaviour as other persons reported. If a new battery would get me up to 40 MPG, it would take a year to get my money back, assuming it would cost 200$. So far I just keep driving it...

19. stylinnnn

stylinnnn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    40 mpg is horrible under all conditions.

#19 stylinnnn, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base