1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG Slipping - Is It The Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by djlen, Mar 16, 2017.

1. djlen

djlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am wondering have they improved the battery life of the ones they are putting in the
    new (2017) Prius? I had a 2011 and got 50 - 60 mpg initially but as the years went by
    the mpg has slipped into the 44 mpg range.
    I am thinking of buying a new one and am wondering if they have improved the battery
    so that the mileage won't go through the floor a few years down the road as it did previously.
    And thoughts would be appreciated

Regards,
    Len

2. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's probably not the battery. how many miles on her?
    there are several components to the prius, which can cause mpg reduction. unfortunately, it's a trial and error guessing game.
    it could be your tires, 12 volt, throttle body/maf, egr, intake manifold, spark plugs, injectors, and more.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just cleared 150 k miles on our 2010 Prius II. I have cleaned the intake manifold, replaced the egr valve and cooler, changed spark plugs, used fuel injector cleaner, done engine flush, etc.

As @bisco said there are many factors at play:(.

I also had @jeff652 install a discharge ready wiring harness for battery maintenance, and have done 1 charging top up. Saw a slight improvement in mpg, but the HV battery seems to be maintaining a charge longer (able to sit and creep in traffic longer without the engine kicking on).

Now just waiting for a nice box to arrive in early April so I can do even more battery maintenance :).

Keep us posted(y).

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ All of the above. Could even be a change in your driving conditions.

How many miles on it btw?

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US, the Gen 4 Trim Two have the same battery modules ad Gen 2 & 3, I believe. The other Trim levels have a Li-ion battery similar to the Plugin Prius, but the chemistry may be different.
    I do not believe there is enough data on PiP or the newer Gen 4 batteries to make any reasonable determination.

bisco likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well the same chemisty, but the pack is not identical. I would suspect they're all improved over 3rd gen, just due to more time and research.

And as far as mpg, the 4th gen's are delivering tiresomely easy higher mpg, at least 10% reported here, fuelly, etcetera.

bisco likes this.
  8. djlen

djlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My fuelly mileage held for a couple of years and just dropped gradually in to the 44 - 45 mpg range. I took it in
    to the dealer for regular service and each time would mention the terrible mileage I was getting. At one point
    they said they would clean out some sort of "box". After they did this the mileage did improve up to like 48
    and then started dropping again. They couldn't really seem to improve it for me.
    I came to the conclusion that after 4 or 5 years the battery weakens and the engine has to run more frequently
    causing poor mileage.
    Last August on the way home from vacation we were hit by a nut who totaled the Prius and ran. I loved that car
    but never did get an answer to why the mileage turned so bad.
    I bought a RAV4 and big, big mistake. I can't live with 21.2 mpg so I'm considering buying another Prius and was
    hoping they improved the battery since the 2011 model came out but from what I'm reading above, there haven't been
    any changes.
    Don't know what to do now. The car got all the regular services from day one and I thought I did all the right things.

Regards,
    Len

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody here found the modules are interchangeable. I am really waiting for summer to see what my mileage will be. I have only had the car since October.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Understanding a bit better, @djlen no longer has the 2011, might be shopping for a new one. Missed that.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless you have a defective cell, the hybrid battery doesn't normally deteriorate in the first 150,000 miles or so to the point where fuel economy noticeable. battery technology is improving in many ways, but gen 3 longevity is fine in most cases.

carloz562 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're still wondering how many miles it had.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Although it is possible that it is the battery degradation that is causing the low mpg it is very unlikely.

Testing performed by Consumer Reports the Department of Energy and other organizations have shown that Prius is surprisingly unaffected by even dramatic degradation in the battery.

Some of the tests are reported here and indicate that even when the battery declined to less than 40% of its original capacity the fuel consumption was only affect by 3.2mpg.

BU-1002a: Hybrid Electric Vehicles and the Battery – Battery University

I had a Prius Gen 2 and recorded all fill-ups and mileage for the 61/2 years I had it. At 67,000 miles the fuel consumption had improved from ~50mpg to ~53mpg.

A friend still has their 2006 Prius and it is still giving 50mpg after 10 years, I don't know the mileage.

kevin

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    DO note that the Prius DOES NOT run on the battery (unless it's a plugin). The battery is just there to supplement the engine, allowing it to be run in its' most efficient manner. Sometimes you will notice the Prius running on the battery. This IS NOT an efficient mode of operation, and is avoided unless the battery has "to much charge". This is why a degrading battery has little effect on mileage. A failed battery will give you perfect mileage, the car won't run so no fuel will be burned, but it can still move (downhill). ;)

In the US most models of the gen 4 have a different battery, a lithium one. It's actually smaller than the NiMH unit capacity wise, but lithium batteries are more efficient at charge/discharge (I'm told) so it's "better". As Mendal posted, the gen 4 seems to be about 10% better mileage wise than the gen 3 (which was about 10% better than the gen 2). Incremental improvements.

As posted above, there are many reasons the -engine- will run less efficiently. Some maintenance would probably have corrected the lower mileage. The systems in the engine that require attention are mentioned in the posts above.

I don't think you have to avoid another Prius because of the battery. In fact, if you got a Prime (2nd gen PIP) you would see incredible mileage. Check the posts in the Prime section. Again, incremental improvements.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    10% mininum. I wouldn't mind so much, but those 4th gen buggers are getting those numbers with the AC blasting, driving like it's stolen. :cautious:

16. djlen

djlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, some answers. The car had about 62,000 miles on it when the moron ran into me on 295 last August. Based on
    what I'm seeing here that's really low mileage to experience battery degradation.
    Yes, I'm very seriously considering a Prius at this time. It's encouraging to hear some of the posts regarding
    fairly high miles and still getting 50mpg.
    I just want to say how much I appreciate all you guys replying the way you have. It is appreciated.

Regards,
    Len

bisco, David Beale and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. djlen

djlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am ready to buy a Certified 2016 Prius with 14,000 miles on it. They tell me the batteries in these
    new models are much improved so I'm will to take the chance. I trust Toyota. We'll see........

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Trim Two has the older technology. All other US trims have the newer design.
    Toyota says the newer battery can have issues in extremely cold weather.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'much improved' is a marketing term salesmen love to throw around. we won't know that for 10 years, as far as degradation and longevity are concerned. it is possible that they are improved to help provide better fuel efficiency.
    as far as your old car is concerned, if you bought it new, 62,000 miles is very early to see mpg drop due to battery or engine problems, unless you got some bad gas or something.
    it was more likely a tire or brake issue, or something like that.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2008 Prius with about 135K miles (if I remember right) dropped into the mid 30's mpgs. I immediately suspected the traction battery, bought an OBDII Bluetooth adapter and ran a bunch of tests showing the battery was fine.

One day, after two or three tanks of gas while only getting 36-38 mpg, I dumped about 1/2 a can of SeaFoam into the gas tank and the mileage jumped back to the above 45 mpg range. Give it a try. Can't hurt. It must have been dirty injectors. It took me a while to realize it was the ICE, not the EV part that was killing the mileage.

We sold the car with 163K miles, zero problems with the car. We never even had to replace the brakes. The person driving it now has put on another 5K miles so far with zero issues. We bought a new 2015 but the mpgs are still in the 48 mpg range most of the time. It was a little disappointing because I could hit 48 mpg in the 2008 even with all those miles and years on it.

As for me I'm keeping an eye on the Kia Niro to see if it holds up to the promises. I like the interior of the Niro much more than the 2016+ Prius. Toyota is doing things to push me away.